Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have GCSE English Literature on Wednesday and I don't know how to revise. For Section A I will do Lord of the Flies and for Section B I will do Of Mice and Men. I don't want to fail this GCSE, but I don't know how to revise--can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem a lot with Lit too, make sure you're familiar with the book. Ie for each chapter write out a list of possible themes you could be questioned about and collect quotes you could use appropriate to that theme (saves time flicking through the book in the exam). Then I'd say to do a few past essays to make sure you're writing style and timings are all good and you should be fine, good luck with your exam!

ReputationRep:
    For section A I presume, since I did this exam last year,
    they may ask something like, "explain how the theme of ________ has been presented with _________" it could be a character, place or event that happens. you basically need to find a paragraph or pience of text in your book that has not been annotated and try to analyse the text, explaining how or why this theme might be presented.
    For section B, you will be given a set text which you will have to read and they will aska question,for example,"What does the chapter introducing Candys wife tell you about her?" Youmwill have to find specific evidence and angles it, ending it with a conclusion referring back to the question asked.

good luck! Xx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both! What would be the best way to revise for both sections, though? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Also, do you guys think that I should reread Lord of the Flies? The test is on Wednesday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.