Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a random one.

I am doing English, and whilst I have 5 offers from good unis, I reaaaally regret not applying to Bristol because people told me I wasn't good enough

It really was one of my favourites, and maybe I wouldn't have got in, but I wish I has tried rather than just settling for unis that weren't as good for me.

Anyone else regret anything they did/didnt do?

ReputationRep:
    I kinda regret not applying to a university with higher entry requirements than the grades I have. I got ACC (+ B in General Studies and B in AS Geography) at A Level. 4 of my choices were basically universities asking for 260-280 UCAS points, and Plymouth was asking for slightly lower than that.

I wish I hadn't applied to Plymouth and instead taken a gamble on a university asking for ABB or something.

Although I met the entry requirements for all of my universities I was concerned that my personal statement (with its lack of work experience/voluntary work) would mean I'd struggle to get in even at universities where I met their entry requirements!

Anyway, I have 5 unconditionals, but sort of wish I'd gambled on Liverpool (asking for AAB for Politics) and Newcastle (asking for AAA-ABB including General Studies) but I doubt my personal statement would have been good enough and I prefer the modules at Nottingham Trent and Salford more anyway!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I chose two backup unis when it turns out I didn't need any, so it would have been nice to throw in some higher level applications to give me more choice.

ReputationRep:
    Not applying to oxbridge..I'm confident I would have received an offer or stood a chance. But I'm still doubt I would have met the requirement for maths..so its a partial regret.
    Applying to too many unis I like almost equally with more or less the same entry requirements. ICL,UCL and Warwick. Already have the UCL offer given I get ICL and Warwick. It will be a difficult decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I kind of regret applying for Southampton as an insurance, but little did I know that Exeter would give me a contextual offer. I also firmly regret not applying for Oxford. I probably wouldn't have gotten in, but it was probably worth a crack, since some of my friends applied with worse grades than me and have had interview.

ReputationRep:
    I regret not having enough confidence in my abilities and not applying to more prestigious universities. I'm predicted A*A*A and ended up applying to a BBC university.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I regret applying to 3 high-risk unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    I regret not having enough confidence in my abilities and not applying to more prestigious universities. I'm predicted A*A*A and ended up applying to a BBC university.

Wow those are really high predictions! Mind if I ask where you applied? I feel the same

(Original post by Pink lipstick)
    I regret applying to 3 high-risk unis
    Dont worry, I feel its better to regret taking the risk than to be left wondering 'what if'. Do you have offers from them?

I'm relieved other people seem to have regrets and its not just me

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry, I feel its better to regret taking the risk than to be left wondering 'what if'. Do you have offers from them?

3 rejections from each one...

ReputationRep:
    I regret applying to Loughborough for psychology, because I really didn't have any intention in going, but the placement year sold me. Now I'm having to find good things about it to convince myself it wasn't a waste of a choice, when instead I should feel like I should have chosen somewhere I would have liked to go :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazza180)
    Wow those are really high predictions! Mind if I ask where you applied? I feel the same

Thank you I applied to Oxford (AAA), but got rejected pre-interview, and I have offers from King's (AAA), Queen Mary (340 points with an A in English Literature), Kent (ABB) and Westminster (BBC) I really wish I had applied to UCL, or even Exeter. I think my advice to future applicants is that if you're absolutely sure you're going to get an offer from somewhere - and you'd be ridiculously surprised if you got rejected - then you're aiming too low. Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I regret not applying to Oxford because I doubted myself at AS level :/

ReputationRep:
    I regret not applying to Cambridge. I have offers from St Andrews, Glasgow and Manchester and only plan on taking St Andrews. I wish I'd applied to Cambridge for AMES and Exeter for Flexible Honours instead of Glasgow and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I regret applying to Oxford, only because I knew I didn't really stand a chance so I could have avoided the pain of being rejected :/

ReputationRep:
    I wish more that I had done better at AS and then could have put 'better' Uni's down on UCAS rather than I think i made a mistake.

As it is, it was purely practical that I couldnt apply to my favourites (York, Nottingham and Newcastle) to do Law, although I am happy with my choices for what my targets are (Lincoln, Glamorgan, Northumbria, Keele and Chester)

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd got an interview from Oxford just so I could prove myself and my passion in person, not just having my life dictated by a bit of paper
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I regret not seeing all of my universities before applying. One of them is in an awful area, and there's another that I still haven't seen, but a family friend who goes there absolutely hates the place.

I also guess I could have applied to universities with higher grades, because all of mine are quite easily achievable, but there weren't any with slightly higher grades in towns I actually wanted to live in so I'm not regretting that yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazza180)
    Bit of a random one.

I am doing English, and whilst I have 5 offers from good unis, I reaaaally regret not applying to Bristol because people told me I wasn't good enough

It really was one of my favourites, and maybe I wouldn't have got in, but I wish I has tried rather than just settling for unis that weren't as good for me.

Anyone else regret anything they did/didnt do?
    If you declined all your offers, you will be eligible to apply for another uni through Extra, then you could choose Bristol.
    This however is a really big risk, so I'd think really hard before making any decisions like this. If you don't mind me asking, what other unis did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I really regret not applying to Sheffield for psychology. First I was put off by the distance, and then I applied to Liverpool as insurance. Then I thought I wouldn't get the right grades, but I applied to other unis that ask for the same grades and got offers. I really don't know what was going through my mind :/

ReputationRep:
    I probably would have applied for another ABB instead of my BBC choice, and maybe chosen another BBB choice :erm:

I'm happy with offers though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.