Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the process of applying to uni for sept 2013 start.

I originally wanted to study social work and so applied to 3 unis close to me. I also applied for the BA(hons) working with children, young people and families aswell, really just as a backup option as the entry requirements are lower just incase i didnt quite get the grades for social work.

So at the moment i have 2 conditional offers, one for BA(hons) Social Work and one for BA(hons)Working with children, young people and families, and im still waiting to hear from my other options.
    The problem i have now is that having researched my back up course im finding the course content more and more interesting and i think that i would really enjoy it, but im also thinking that a BA in social work would have better career prospects and open more doors.
    So now im torn between which course to study and I just wanted some opinions from people who have been in similar situations or who could offer some advice! :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on your career plans. The social work course will give you a professional qualification, requiring long placements and an intensive workload, and required a lot of emotional commitment. If you are not 100% sure about it, I would suggest thinking it through more, and consider the other course, with a view to doing social work as a masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrock)
    I'm currently in the process of applying to uni for sept 2013 start.

I originally wanted to study social work and so applied to 3 unis close to me. I also applied for the BA(hons) working with children, young people and families aswell, really just as a backup option as the entry requirements are lower just incase i didnt quite get the grades for social work.

So at the moment i have 2 conditional offers, one for BA(hons) Social Work and one for BA(hons)Working with children, young people and families, and im still waiting to hear from my other options.
    The problem i have now is that having researched my back up course im finding the course content more and more interesting and i think that i would really enjoy it, but im also thinking that a BA in social work would have better career prospects and open more doors.
    So now im torn between which course to study and I just wanted some opinions from people who have been in similar situations or who could offer some advice! :confused:
    hi i was wondering what you decided to choose was it social work or the other course as i am also applying for both this year ... do you have any tips for me e.g. what to write in my personal statement it would be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerry)
    hi i was wondering what you decided to choose was it social work or the other course as i am also applying for both this year ... do you have any tips for me e.g. what to write in my personal statement it would be really helpful
    Hey!

I eventually decided on the Social Work degree course because I got an offer at my 1st choice uni. Im so glad I did, I'm loving my course and my uni!

In your ps it would be a good thing to include what experiences you had that lead you to decide to persue a career in social work. I also included what I hoped to achieve with my degree after I had graduated.
    Mentioning your work experience and what you learned from it will also help your application.

What unis are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrock)
    Hey!

I eventually decided on the Social Work degree course because I got an offer at my 1st choice uni. Im so glad I did, I'm loving my course and my uni!

In your ps it would be a good thing to include what experiences you had that lead you to decide to persue a career in social work. I also included what I hoped to achieve with my degree after I had graduated.
    Mentioning your work experience and what you learned from it will also help your application.

What unis are you thinking of applying to?
    wow that's really good I hope i get into social work too ... thanx for the advice i will try to include all those things really helpful! I'm applying at Bradford, Leeds met, and Huddersfield

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.