Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working on the 'comparing methods for determining aspirin concentration' chemistry a2 investigation and have come across something which is seriously worrying me. I think i may have done the calculations for my colorimetry method wrong. could someone please just check these for me?
    This is the procedure (shortened) relevant to the calculations:

50 cm3 volumetric flasks to store salicylic acid, maximum conc of aspirin being measured is 0.02 moldm-3 (in a 250 cm3 flask), so 50 cm3 of this will contain 0.001 moles right? if this is true then the maximum conc of salicylic acid needed should be 0.004 moldm-3 (0.001/250 x 1000) okay?

all the solutions were prepared with iron (iii) chloride, aspirin was hydrolysed etc and these were the results when the hydrolysed 0.02 moldm-3 aspirin and iron(iii) chloride absorbance was measured and plotted on the calibration curve:

absorbance reading: 0.49
    concentration of salicylic acid (using calibration curve): 0.004 moldm-3
    moles of sali acid: (0.004/1000) x 250 = 0.001
    moles of aspirin (1:1 ratio) = 0.001
    conc of aspirin: (0.001/50) x 1000 = 0.02 moldm-3

any help given will be greatly appreciated.

p.s. i would have asked my teacher but if the results are wrong then i will probably lie about them and i can't do that if my teacher has seen them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 5, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.