Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language exam January 10th, HELP !! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm revising for the English language exam on January the 10th!! Can anybody offer any revision tips or anything they have been doing to revise for the exam? I'm starting to panic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's already a thread open on this but here are my notes for the layout of section A

Question 1 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    1st paragraph - Overview of key points/concerns in the article (no quote needed). Concluding sentence of articles opinion.
    3 mini paragraphs - One of the previously listed concerns/points for each paragraph. Quotation and perceptive interpretation - use cross referencing if a similar point is repeated in the article.
    4th paragraph (conditional) - Highlight the counter-argument and interpret if there is one. Needs a perceptive overview.

Question 2 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    Two paragraphs.
    Focus on two main presentation devices, eg header, image, font, text shape - must be significant to the article.
    Try to make sections equal length. Quote from the text to link devices and use descriptive language (imagine the examiner is blind)!

Question 3 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
    1st paragraph - Concise overview of the writers feelings, include some quotes and a short interpretive, concluding sentence.
    4 mini paragraphs - PEEL. Clear point, quote evidence, interpretive explanation, expand on interpretation and analysis of language using sophisticated vocab and requoting.

Question 4 - 16 marks, 24 minutes.
    REMEMBER FLAP - Form, language, audience, presentational devices
    Paragraph 1 - State purpose/form/tone for both texts.
    Paragraph 2 - Narative viewpoint for both texts and impact that has on the read alongside the tone is reveals. Include quptes with interpretation of what effect this has.
    Paragraph 3 - Focus on devices! Eg - imagery,rhetorical, semantic fields, use of statistics, repetition). Use quotes and interpretation of effect on the reader. Don't use basic things like 'helps the reader to understand' - expand the point!
    Paragraph 4 - Select word choices and interpret verbs/adjectives/nouns/adverbs - maybe colloquialisms too. How this narrates/presents the text.

FOR ALL PARAGRAPHS: Refer to both texts.

Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you fail, don't worry you are not the only one :P.
    I just need like 80% on this to get an A* in English language but I am having doubts with so much holidays we have missed 10+ lessons .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pabblethefish)
    There's already a thread open on this but here are my notes for the layout of section A

1st paragraph - Overview of key points/concerns in the article (no quote needed). Concluding sentence of articles opinion.
    3 mini paragraphs - One of the previously listed concerns/points for each paragraph. Quotation and perceptive interpretation - use cross referencing if a similar point is repeated in the article.
    4th paragraph (conditional) - Highlight the counter-argument and interpret if there is one. Needs a perceptive overview.

Two paragraphs.
    Focus on two main presentation devices, eg header, image, font, text shape - must be significant to the article.
    Try to make sections equal length. Quote from the text to link devices and use descriptive language (imagine the examiner is blind)!

1st paragraph - Concise overview of the writers feelings, include some quotes and a short interpretive, concluding sentence.
    4 mini paragraphs - PEEL. Clear point, quote evidence, interpretive explanation, expand on interpretation and analysis of language using sophisticated vocab and requoting.

Paragraph 2 - Narative viewpoint for both texts and impact that has on the read alongside the tone is reveals. Include quptes with interpretation of what effect this has.
    Paragraph 3 - Focus on devices! Eg - imagery,rhetorical, semantic fields, use of statistics, repetition). Use quotes and interpretation of effect on the reader. Don't use basic things like 'helps the reader to understand' - expand the point!
    Paragraph 4 - Select word choices and interpret verbs/adjectives/nouns/adverbs - maybe colloquialisms too. How this narrates/presents the text.

Goodluck!
    since when were there 4 questions in section A? :confused: I thought it was...

section A
    Q1 - 12 marks
    Q2 - 14 marks
    Q3 - 14 marks

section B
    Q4 OR 5 - 40 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pabblethefish)

Two paragraphs.

Goodluck!
    This was so helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you over the holidays we have had! We have missed so many English lessons too it's so annoying especially as the exam is on the Thursday we get back to school, plus we have an inset day on the Monday so we don't go back until the Tuesday :/ I hope you get your 80% I wish you all the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitch96)
    since when were there 4 questions in section A? :confused: I thought it was...

section A
    Q1 - 12 marks
    Q2 - 14 marks
    Q3 - 14 marks

section B
    Q4 OR 5 - 40 marks
    I don't think we're talking about the same exam paper... I'm talking about aqa English language. There's definitely four questions in section A and two in section B ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annna<3)
    I totally agree with you over the holidays we have had! We have missed so many English lessons too it's so annoying especially as the exam is on the Thursday we get back to school, plus we have an inset day on the Monday so we don't go back until the Tuesday :/ I hope you get your 80% I wish you all the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You too, I do not mind if I don't get a * I just want an A, but ill be sure to save this thread and post my result, everyone else do so too , When do we get the raw mark as I heard UMS is done at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    I have to study one William Shakespeare text (Macbeth) and a cultures prose text (heroes by Robert Cormier)

Are you doing edexcel English language?

ReputationRep:
    I would love an A!! Yes, be sure to say once you have received your results and as for the whole UMS marks I have no idea :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do for the English?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got an A, what about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    I got an A, what about yourself?
    Did you get a grade on you're exam results sheet or did you're school estimate this grade based on previous grade boundaries. No one in my school was given a grade just a mark out of 80!

ReputationRep:
    Messed up and resitting. What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Messed up and resitting. What did you get?
    61, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maarg13)
    Did you get a grade on you're exam results sheet or did you're school estimate this grade based on previous grade boundaries. No one in my school was given a grade just a mark out of 80!
    We were using the old mark scheme, and went really tough, this was all my course altogether I did quite bad in the exam 51, but if I got around 70 I would have had an A* but I CBA lol.

ReputationRep:
    We were using the old mark scheme, and went really tough, this was all my course altogether I did quite bad in the exam 51, but if I got around 70 I would have had an A* but I CBA lol.
    I wouldn't worry to be honest, most of my year got in the 40's or 50's, I know someone who got 70 in the mock but 45 in the actual exam! Fingers crossed the boundaries will be low then this year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maarg13)
    I wouldn't worry to be honest, most of my year got in the 40's or 50's, I know someone who got 70 in the mock but 45 in the actual exam! Fingers crossed the boundaries will be low then this year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But I still have to do a controlled assessment resit, because I can't risk an A with only 7 ums above, as last year people got ****ed over.

ReputationRep:
    But I still have to do a controlled assessment resit, because I can't risk an A with only 7 ums above, as last year people got ****ed over.
    What marks you get in the CA's? (just so I get an idea of how far I'm off A)
    English Creative Writing 1?
    Creative writing 2?
    Spoken Language Study?
    Extended study/writing?

And the speaking/listening?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.