Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm EU student completing my last year of high school in my country. However, due to health and family issues I'm "forced" to take a year off. Lately I've been considering applying for History and Politics at University of Oxford for the next year ( I've seen the city, researched the course, talked to a few students and I fell in love with Oxford uni). So my first question is: Would I be disadvantaged because of this gap year?

My second question is in regards to my qualifications, on their website it is stated that prospective students should be (preferably) taking History to A-levels. As I stated, I wasn't thinking of applying to unis in UK and in my country there are different subject requirements, for example Social sciences are considered to be ideal for student applying for Politics, International Relations, Law...while from what I've read it seems that they aren't considered to be particularly strong subject in UK. To get to the point: I was thinking, that during my gap year I would enter "Fast Track A level course" and do three of : History, Philosophy, English literature or Government and Politics. What do you guys think about this? I'm fairly sure I would be able to do well (as self-studying is something I've been doing for a while due to my problems with health) but would it be viewed as something too strange?

Sorry for this "novel-length" post. I would be glad for any advice/views. Many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Which subjects have you actually studied to a higher level? Do they meet the criteria for Oxford admissions without doing A levels?

I don't think gap years disadvantage you, as long as your skills remain sharp over the year. If you have to take a gap year it is definitely good to continue education, get work experience in your subject area or get a job - I know people that have done each of these. Ox don't seem to mind just as long as you do something (eg. a friend of mine had to take a gap year for health reasons, he got a deferred offer for Psychology and then in his gap year he took a qualification in music production).

It might be best to check with admissions as they will be able to tell you their stance on gap years and will know more about the suitability of the qualifications you have received in your home country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babs12123)
    Which subjects have you actually studied to a higher level? Do they meet the criteria for Oxford admissions without doing A levels?

I don't think gap years disadvantage you, as long as your skills remain sharp over the year. If you have to take a gap year it is definitely good to continue education, get work experience in your subject area or get a job - I know people that have done each of these. Ox don't seem to mind just as long as you do something (eg. a friend of mine had to take a gap year for health reasons, he got a deferred offer for Psychology and then in his gap year he took a qualification in music production).

It might be best to check with admissions as they will be able to tell you their stance on gap years and will know more about the suitability of the qualifications you have received in your home country
    Thank you for your reply ! I'm going to take my final examinations in June this year in : Social sciences (Government and Politics, Philosophy, Sociology, Law), Psychology and English language and it seems that qualification from my country would be OK. However, would it strengthen my application if I could (during my gap year) take the A-levels I mentioned above (or at least one in History)? My grades through my studies are strong enough I guess but I should probably email the admissions as you stated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.