Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there a easy way to remember when its either electrophilic addition/substitution or free radical/nucleophilic addition substitution? I seem to always get muddled up? someone mind explaining to me the different mechanisms and when they occur and with which reagents?

ReputationRep:
    Electrophilic substitution, for the sake of simplicity, is associated with Benzene more than anything else. If your compound isn't aromatic, then it doesn't undergo electrophilic substitution!

Free Radical Substitution only ever occurs with Alkanes.

Electrophilic Addition involves adding an electrophile across a double bond to make it a single bond. It most commonly occurs with alkenes.

Nucleophilic Addition is the mechanism for the reduction of Ketones/Aldehydes to alcohols; the C=O bond is the key to this one.

Nucleophilic Substitution is usually associated with haloalkanes and amines; common nucleophiles are NH3, halogens, and OH ions. Sometimes they'll slip cyanide in, however, CN or associated compounds i.e. KCN, Potassium Cyanide.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.