Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into accounting training schemes (As a school leaver, not a graduate programme). I would like to make a list of pro's and con's of the job by drawing on your experiences (People who are doing/ have completed the training). I am looking at doing a course with one of the top firms.

I've read quite a bit on this forum- horror stories and hate threads through to positive threads about the training (ACA).

I hope that this thread would get some activity and can help some other people in my position.

First of all, the Pros:

- Obviously the salary is quite good compared to other jobs.
    - You are learning good skills.
    - You can progress as far as CFO's etc at the top of businesses
    - You can join start up businesses as the finance person
    - It's a well paid profession
    - [I'll add more when people tell me some ]

Now the cons:
    - Long hours
    - First year is a lot of data entry
    - Not much personal time when you account for studying time (No pun intended)
    - [Any more?]

Obviously i've come up with these from reading this thread. Please let me know if you think any of them are wrong.

What other ones would you add?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's so easy to weigh up the pros and cons. Different people value different things and may not see pros and cons the same way.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I'm looking into accounting training schemes (As a school leaver, not a graduate programme). I would like to make a list of pro's and con's of the job by drawing on your experiences (People who are doing/ have completed the training). I am looking at doing a course with one of the top firms.

I've read quite a bit on this forum- horror stories and hate threads through to positive threads about the training (ACA).

I hope that this thread would get some activity and can help some other people in my position.

First of all, the Pros:

- Obviously the salary is quite good compared to other jobs.
    - You are learning good skills.
    - You can progress as far as CFO's etc at the top of businesses
    - You can join start up businesses as the finance person
    - It's a well paid profession
    - [I'll add more when people tell me some ]

Now the cons:
    - Long hours
    - First year is a lot of data entry
    - Not much personal time when you account for studying time (No pun intended)
    - [Any more?]

Obviously i've come up with these from reading this thread. Please let me know if you think any of them are wrong.

What other ones would you add?
    I agree with Tokyoround - depending on whether you become an ACA student at a firm in financial services, charity sector, public sector or professional services, whether it is a small local practice or the big four - each experience is different!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.