Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    I know he could split Part I and II of his Tripos, but you don't apply to do that do you? So he'd have to decide to apply for one or the other at UCAS stage? Sorry, could be wrong but I thought it was designed to allow flexibility once you were in and felt you preferred another subject, not to go that way from the start (with possible execptions for Chem Eng and Management). I know my friend at Cam said it was easier to stick to her English degree then do GDL than switch, but I guess that could have just been her college/DoS?
    You're right in that he should have to apply for History. Which would almost certainly mean then that he'd have to make his other applications in History, so as to appropriately frame his PS.

I don't know the full story with your friend but a difference in doing it the way she did it and doing it as a conversion in Part II is of course that the GDL has to be ponied-up for while the part II conversion obviating the need for that would be done as part of the BA. Another collateral benefit, as many or most would see it, is that this means 4 years at Cambridge rather than three there and one at a GDL provider.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    You're right in that he should have to apply for History. Which would almost certainly mean then that he'd have to make his other applications in History, so as to appropriately frame his PS.

I don't know the full story with your friend but a difference in doing it the way she did it and doing it as a conversion in Part II is of course that the GDL has to be ponied-up for while the part II conversion obviating the need for that would be done as part of the BA. Another collateral benefit, as many or most would see it, is that this means 4 years at Cambridge rather than three there and one at a GDL provider.
    Yeah, I think the Part II would be a lot more appealing for people looking to the Bar than solicitors.

In her situation it was the combined hurdle of switching and that another year in Cam would be very high pressured compared to just passing the GDL and most of her friends from there were going to be in London anyway along with a desire to get out of the bubble after 3 years at uni. She had a funded TC so cost wasn't a factor, but I imagine that's the same for the vast majority of Cam grads on the GDL who are looking at the solciitor route.

ReputationRep:
    Stick with what your passion is, what you feel you're most interested in! That way you'll have a better chance of coming out with a First- which in the current legal market is VERY important! I did my BA in History and am now on the GDL, and I feel that I made the right decision for me as I loved my degree!

ReputationRep:
    History, then convert to law later if you're still interested.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.