Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to put forward a case of someone close to me.

Said person travels to and from her work on a bus journey of 45 minutes each way. She has recently became a nervous traveller and constantly needs the toilet when she travels. According to her, "it's something I cant control."

I am convinced it's in her mind. She has had to get off the bus to do the toilet several times in the past. She thinks about those times, gets nervous and scared incase it happens again, which makes her problem active again. It's a vicious cycle.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help, or any views on this.subject?

ReputationRep:
    Chances are it is in her mind if she's not got any physical requirement to go to the toilet and only occurs when she travels, but if it persists throughout the day she could have a urinary tract infection, which are very common.

As she gets nervous when travelling and this makes her feel the need to go to the toilet, she might have an anxiety issue. When feeling nervous or anxious, the hypothalamus in the brain responds to the stress and this may result in the need to urinate more often than usual. She could try breathing exercises to calm her down during longer journeys, and speak to her GP to see if anything can be done about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I thought it was all in her head but I never thought about a urinary tract infection. I'll advise her to see her GP immediately.

To the best of my awareness she has already tried breathing exercises to no avail.

The problem causes her great discomfort so she will be pleased to hear something other than that she's imagining it.

Many thanks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.