Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my a-levels and interested in doing some media based volunteer work as I would like to be involved in the media industry in the future. I know that volunteering looks good on your cv but I don't want to do just any old volunteering, I want to do something that interests me and is related to the potential course I would do at university!

Can anybody tell me how I would go about this (I live in the south midlands-milton keynes if you needed to know that)!?!

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambersmith96)
    I'm currently doing my a-levels and interested in doing some media based volunteer work as I would like to be involved in the media industry in the future. I know that volunteering looks good on your cv but I don't want to do just any old volunteering, I want to do something that interests me and is related to the potential course I would do at university!

Can anybody tell me how I would go about this (I live in the south midlands-milton keynes if you needed to know that)!?!

Many thanks
    What type of media?

ReputationRep:
    Like graphic design or video editing...

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for your area in particular, but I know that where I am we have the Reading Voluntary Action, which basically lists volunteer placements as well as one-off jobs, so if an organisation needed someone for a particular task, they can advertise that as well, and so making a video or something like that could well be something they ask for.

I did a quick google and found this for Milton Keynes, so perhaps you could investigate a little more? http://www.volunteermk.org.uk/

Otherwise, if you wanted general media, perhaps you could look into seeing whether you could spend some time at a hospital radio station or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambersmith96)
    Like graphic design or video editing...
    Ah, don't know about those areas. If it were journalism or radio, I would have been more help
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at www.do-it.org.uk

Hospital radio is a good way to get media experience, even though it isn't want you want to do. My sister has done it for years and has made some good contacts locally in the media/got into national events as press etc.

Otherwise, contact relevant organisations and ask for a week of shadowing experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.