Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

dd/mm/yyyy OR mm/dd/yyyy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why does the US use mm/dd/yyyy? it causes great confusion around the world as some people (most?) use the dd/mm/yyyy order; the latter makes a lot more sense, no?

I get really frustrated at times. Just now I saw a site that showed an upcoming event as 2013/01/02 :facepalm:.

this is a mini rant

ReputationRep:
    so is that February 1, 2013? Or was that January 2, 2013?

But yea, it's silly why they do that, but then again why does Britain drive on the left side of the road when the rest of the world drives on the right side of the road?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    so is that February 1, 2013? Or was that January 2, 2013?

But yea, it's silly why they do that, but then again why does Britain drive on the left side of the road when the rest of the world drives on the right side of the road?
    Day, month, year makes sense as it's consecutively larger periods of time.

Hours, minutes, seconds in the opposite way for the same reason.

The US are weird.

ReputationRep:
    They will always insist on everyone changing to their standards. For example, sulphur is now spelt as sulfur even in our chemistry books and exams.

ReputationRep:
    This really annoys me too DD/MM/YYYY makes total sense why change it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

Until the middle of the 20th century most countries drove on the left. Britain hasn't changed because we don't have any land borders with right-driving countries, so there's no advantage for us to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uttamo)
    They will always insist on everyone changing to their standards. For example, sulphur is now spelt as sulfur even in our chemistry books and exams.
    This makes me so annoyed! In past papers I always put "sulphur" :yep:
    Next it'll be "fosforus".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    This makes me so annoyed! In past papers I always put "sulphur" :yep:
    Next it'll be "fosforus".
    Yeah same, it looks fuller and correct. 'Fosforus' haha that's a good one, let's hope it doesn't happen. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I was born here but lived in the US from 3-10ish and used the mm/dd/yyyy.
    When I came to UK again, it took a long while to get used to the dd/mm/yyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think being 180cm tall and weighing 13stone, buying a pint of milk and 250g of peanuts from the Tesco 30m down the 3mile long road causes great confusion. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USRaphael)
    I think being 180cm tall and weighing 13stone, drinking a pint on a 3m bar while eating 250g of peanuts causes great confusion. :dontknow:
    Yeah, as much as the Imperial system is stupid, it's even worse using a mix of both

But the US way of doing dates is stupid. If it was the complete opposite of our way of doing it, so yyyy/mm/dd it would make at least as much sense as ours, just different. In fact that would actually make more sense in some ways because it's consistent with the hh : mm : ss format for time. But putting the middle unit in at the start makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    If asked for your birthday do you tend to say

August 3rd or 3rd of August

(or whatever the date is)

I would tend to say the former

ReputationRep:
    In Japan it goes year, month, day, in increasingly smaller divisions of time. I actually think that makes the most sense. E.g 2013年01月05日 is today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uttamo)
    That's so bloody annoying. It actually is spelt sulfur in my textbook. I always write sulphur though, because that's the correct way :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyb123)
    In Japan it goes year, month, day, in increasingly smaller divisions of time. I actually think that makes the most sense. E.g 2013年01月05日 is today.
    The day has more relevance in the everyday usage, hence it should be first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    The day has more relevance in the everyday usage, hence it should be first.
    True, but in actual speech, you only say what's needed. E.g. you would say "The trip is on the 12th of January" or "The trip is on the 12th" if you were talking to someone. It's the same in Japanese, you wouldn't say "It's on the 12th of January 2013". When you are actually writing it down though I think it makes more sense, or at least it seems more logical to me, to write it year,month,day.

ReputationRep:
    DD/MM/YYYY as the American method just causes confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    If asked for your birthday do you tend to say

August 3rd or 3rd of August

(or whatever the date is)

I would tend to say the former
    For the majority of the time, I usually reply with the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    That's so bloody annoying. It actually is spelt sulfur in my textbook. I always write sulphur though, because that's the correct way :unimpressed:
    It sure is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yeah, as much as the Imperial system is stupid, it's even worse using a mix of both

But the US way of doing dates is stupid. If it was the complete opposite of our way of doing it, so yyyy/mm/dd it would make at least as much sense as ours, just different. In fact that would actually make more sense in some ways because it's consistent with the hh : mm : ss format for time. But putting the middle unit in at the start makes no sense.
    Using a mix of both is definitely the most confusing way

I heard once that the US way is designed for accounting. When sorting through business account papers you need to organize by month so putting it first means you can easily find all the same month before organizing by day. No idea if this is true, just something someone told me once. :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.