Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think the number of negs answers your question, but seriously it will come back to haunt you

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day if as an individual you want to reach X position and something is in your way to hell with everybody else say and do what you need to and get where you want to be. The alternative is to plod along and accept your lot which personally I refuse to do.

I have a 2:1 and a Masters degree both from respected universities and if i graduated with a third class degree I would lie. As you say, many employers will not check but it's a risk and be prepared to be found out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)
    "Interest in practical learning and extra curricular activities"

What a great way of saying you didn't work hard enough at your degree.
    Exactly, it always makes me laugh how some people on here try and make out that its such a terrible thing for someone to have worked hard at university, probably making excuses for not working hard enough themselves.

Yes its been established that its good to have a balance (though at the same time I don't think one can say they're balanced or well-rounded if they got a 2.2 tbh) and someone who does nothing but work will not be suitable for many employers but since when has hard work become a bad thing, its much better to have worked too hard than have partied too hard at university surely :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My friend didn't finish her degree (failed third year of a four year course). Her CV just says "studied..., 2008-2011."Obviously she didn't apply to grad schemes, but loads of jobs just assumed she had finished a three year degree and got an ok grade!

ReputationRep:
    Lying on your CV is an incredibly bad idea. On most grad schemes, you can bypass the preliminary questions on 2.1s, and detail extenuating circumstances (etc) in the nitty-gritty of the application form.

If none of that applies to you, however, do not lie. You can still submit applications with a 2.2, and if they throw it in the bin, so what? There are companies that value 2.1s, and others that value 'holistic' university experiences. You don't want to be employed on the basis of achieving a degree-grade that you did not really get, or worse yet, get found out a year or two down the line (which you would not be able to account for on your CV unless you want future employers to find out you're willing to commit fraud).

ReputationRep:
    I want to know how to speak about a uni course being shut down? I was predicted a 2:1 or a 2:2 as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroJanine)
    I want to know how to speak about a uni course being shut down? I was predicted a 2:1 or a 2:2 as well
    Shutdown and unable to transfer uni?

Just write it under the heading and predicted classification (will need a reference to back that up)

Bit difference between a 2.i and 2.ii though.

ReputationRep:
    Any employer that genuinely cares about your degree classification will request proof

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but a 2:2 is not a degree, it requires little to none effort to get a 2:2. If you put some work in, even do an assignment the week before it is due, you can still get a 2:1.

If I was an employer I wouldn't want a 2:2 application... They know what attitude you must have had at university in order to have a 2:2 or less..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonista)
    I never put my "class" on my CV. I didn't know you were supposed to.

That said, don't lie!

You need to write a killer cover letter.
    True! Because writing something that you don't have is a wrong thing to do. Plus, if you make your Resume unique I can bet that it won't end up in a bin. From my own personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago there was a black dude who was a trader in a top notch bank in New York earning mega bucks - a real star performer. On his CV he had claimed a Masters from Oxford and all sorts. All fabricated. The kid never graduated from High School. You have to admire his style. !!!

ReputationRep:
    just put

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.