Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Count to 100 before a Mod, Supermod, or Admin posts Mk XVII Watch

• Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugo Rune)
    Is it worth becoming a sub, just to gain a bit of an advantage in counting... :beard:
    Yes, Hugo. Throw all your money at TSR. You know you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Yes, Hugo. Throw all your money at TSR. You know you want to.
    "Glory to the Hypnotoad."
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    list of people from TSR who are allowed to visit me lol what kind of list is yours that you can't share it?
    And am I on that list I'm -as the mods called me- "The most likely to have an accident plus that hyper Scottish Girl". AKA awesome. :awesome:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Or a 'hit on' list? :mmm:

or a "hit list" of some sort
    I'll leave that up to you guys imagination

ReputationRep:
    One!

ReputationRep:
    Two

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Four

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    And am I on that list I'm -as the mods called me- "The most likely to have an accident plus that hyper Scottish Girl". AKA awesome. :awesome:

I'll leave that up to you guys imagination
    I see, haha, well you would probably make the list yeah
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    yes you are on the permitted visitors from TSR list :yep:
    Thank you, appreciated!

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Really guys? I don't mind the spontaneous mod counts, it adds to the fun - but the shifts and the name change, you're taking it a bit far don't you think...

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Yes... bursts of competitive fervour... not like you guys have a rota or anything super organised :innocent:

(Original post by Tortious)
    No, the "awesome" wasn't there to begin with. Someone keeps editing my posts, so I thought I'd make a change in title of my own.

Not really. Hal.E.Lujah made the point earlier, but perhaps more diplomatically than I'd have liked.

To be honest, this thread's just getting boring now. I never really counted in the past, but from the odd few times I dipped into the thread, I saw that there were only a few mods and it was possible for the users to win. Now, there are so many mods here that it's impossible for us to get two consecutive posts, let alone 100 - and you're just using it to chat. That's bad enough, but the persistent gloating means that I can't even be bothered to waste any more energy reading the thread.

I did raise the issue of resurrecting Mod Count the other day, but nobody seemed receptive to it. I think you guys collectively have gone too far, and I've lost interest in this thread. I'll keep updating it with our wins if people quote me in (since only I/mods can edit the OP), but I'm sure the mod team can keep track of its own victories.

I've closed the thread temporarily to give you guys pause for thought - only mods will be able to post in it, which removes the "fun" of the game for you too. In theory, you could reopen it, but that just goes to illustrate my point (and one made by ViceVersa in a previous thread):

(Original post by Deyesy)
    The thing is...It isn't fun anymore. Mods have just overkilled this thread and a few of the past ones. Seriously. I'm not the only one to think this either. You mods have sucked any fun left out of this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ViceVersa)
    I largely agree I think. It's gone too far and I don't see how anyone can seriously say it hasn't.

It was good before and now it's ruined. Just when it was starting to recover and become better again, and now it's far too competitive, the atmosphere is tense and not as positive, and the recent going-ons (like the plans and the ridiculing and extreme gloating plus the name change to add in the "awesome", and the "shifts".. which does exist because it was mentioned by a mod a while back, although they might not have meant it so literally) has removed the friendly chat aspect of it and taken the piss on the game side.

Edit: And please don't take my example of the title being changed to add "awesome" as me not thinking the mods aren't, because I do. I think everyone knows that I have respect for mods/think they're awesome (and when users were taking it too far with the mods I did speak up and said something, just to prove to you all that I'm trying to be fair here), so I'm not being bitter or anything, just using the title change to make my point of it going too far.

Right guys I'm going to have my say then I'm leaving. Those who are actually decent human beings will have to find some way to talk to me off this thread, my inbox is always open. Others right now, well I can't wait to see the back of you tbh if you're going to be like this.

I woke up this morning and like every morning for the past few years the first thing I do is check TSR. That's because TSR means the world to me and I'm sure you all know that. But d'you want to know how I got so addicted to TSR? It wasn't my modship (even though that makes me ridiculously happy) it wasn't the Fashion and Beauty forum (awesome though it is), it was a small group of users on Count to 100 MkIII. Yes Mark III. I've been around a while. That was nearly two years ago, back in February 2011, a week or two after I'd been modded. In fact Crazy Paving laughed at me for being a n00b moderator stopping the count. But that thread quickly welcomed me. It became my home, yes I was a mod, and yes I was stopping counts but unlike now the users actually worked together to get counts, they were friends and I was privileged enough to be welcomed into that friendship group.

Over the next few threads mods came and went, at points I was the only regular mod who posted there. But that was fine, and to be honest users still didn't win that often because I was normally there and my sleep pattern was messed up (ah the joys of uni eh?!) but they didn't mind because what was more important than counting to them was the bond we all had. While we still chatted huge amounts on TSR we were also fb-ing each other, and texting each other and spent hours and hours on tinychat laughing at each other's jokes. We even started all doing tongue twister competitions and we truly were a family. Outworn made us all little images and this image was the core of our family. I think we all had it in our sigs. We were all happy with our family. The users got a win of over 400 when I went out celebrating for my birthday, but that was fine, I had been enjoying myself out, and I was genuinely happy that they were happy.

That summer the majority of us managed to travel to London in order to meet up. It's rare on TSR for one particular thread to have a meetup, it's very rare to find that kind of family atmosphere where not only do we want to meet up but we went to the effort of organising it all. In fact as me and laut where the first ones to arrive we ran around London like crazy people so we could meet everyone off their trains/tubes. When Laut ran to give Penguin a hug she scratched him by accident and we all laughed (well Penguin didn't...) When we had everyone we went to the hostel that some people were staying with. On the tube I pinched Penguin's arse, he jumped and squealed like a girl. He promised me he'd manage to get me back, but didn't...he wasn't very subtle. For the rest of the day me and Laut laughed massively about it. After the tube I got people lost because we came out of the wrong exit of the tube station. But it was okay because we found a Tesco and bought picnic food (and in my case a scratchcard as I was going through my scratchcard phase!) and we reached the hostel. After dumping stuff we all went to Regents Park, it was a gloriously sunny day, and after people buying some ice cream we all sat down and had our picnic, and laughed and enjoyed each other's company. Conversation flowed, everything was great. It's truly been on the best days of my life. I was the first to leave unfortunately but I wouldn't change anything that happened that day. It was all just perfect.

The bond just kept getting stronger. The first person I told when Penguin asked me out was Laut, not one of my best friends in real life, but Laut because that was how much we all cared about each other. Everyone was happy for us. Even when me and Penguin were on dates together we still checked in on the thread, not just to stop counts, but to check how everyone was. That was the thing, we cared for each other's well beings as well. If someone hadn't posted in a day or two, we worried, we were concerned. New people arrived, but that was cool, they were welcomed as well. New friendships were formed and we just kept growing. There were new mods but that was fine, no-one hated, no-one cared about winning, it was about the love of the thread.

Then I missed a thread. Me and Penguin broke up and I left TSR areas where he was for a while. I thought it was fairest to do that. When I came back it was a completely new thread, and there were new people, but the oldies were still happy to have me, and the newbies and I got on well too. Unfortunately things started to change. Some of the oldies left TSR for their own reasons. It was sad, I cried over some of the departures. It wasn't even as though I didn't have ways to contact them because I did, it was just TSR was losing out by them leaving. In the first half of 2012 a lot of people left, a lot of people came. There were times when the thread wasn't good. There were times when I was making motivational speeches to the users about the glory days, and how they could win. But d'you know what it was which made the thread not good? It wasn't lack of wins (they were still getting wins), it wasn't over presence of mods, it was the fact that people stopped caring and looking out for each other and genuinely being interested in what the person had to say. Note I say person...not mod, not user, person. And that was what went missing, the ability to see beyond the mod/user labels and to see everyone as being equally welcome on the thread.

But the thread rallied as it always does. More people came, a lot of new people who I love(d) dearly. People who once again cared about me as much as I did about them. We weren't a family, but we were a close knit group of friends. Things were good, things were happy. Potty may have been the only oldie really left besides me, but that's okay, because you have to move on and make more friends. Can't always live in the past. You once won when I spent half an hour reading my textbook, because in reality, that's all it takes, can take even less...all it takes is an online mod to turn their backs for 20 minutes and you can easily win. Because the thing is, while we chat, it's just waiting for an opportunity then posting as often as the 30 second post limit allows.

Now I come to the present day. You've probably all given up reading by now, but these are things that have to be said. I came online this morning and checked TSR, as usual. And I was really upset to find what I've found on this thread. In all honesty it reduced me to tears, which some might say is silly because it's just a thread, but if you've read all of this then you're well aware it is more than just a thread to me. I'm disappointed, hurt and confused at what some people have been saying and especially the tone you've taken with it. Shifts and rotas and whatever else are just a joke, our fun little thing, pretending this is a job, pretending it's the reason that we got given modship, specifically for this. Seriously guys, if you think we care that much about stopping you then you need to reassess what matters. It just so happens I'm in Canada so on Mountain Standard Time meaning while the insomniacs and people who go to bed late are up, I'm up too. Although to be honest even that doesn't stop you having a chance, 3 or 4 nights a week I'm at work in the evenings, then most nights I'm either out or watching a movie or doing uni work. You have chances so please don't blame us mods if you fail to capitalise on them. That's the thing about this thread, yes us mods stop you, but I'm guessing that for most of them like me, it's not the stopping you that keeps us on this thread. I honestly don't care if you win, whatever, it's a game. What I do care about is whether the users on here are happy, whether they have any problems, whether they need to talk to me. I was away from TSR for a few weeks over the summer, and about a week recently over New Year and it made me sad not because I couldn't stop you counting, but because I wasn't aware what was going on in your lives! When I check the count thread, I don't skip straight to the end, I read through every page (in fact you guys reached 100 once because I was so busy reading through every page that I didn't notice you were near 100 when I signed on!)

Now on the topic of us having gone too far and taken the fun out of it, I hope that by reading what I've written you'll see that these claims are not the case. There's always been mods, and it's always been hard to get wins, and us mods have always chatted on here. What's taken the fun out of it is the fact that you users have started caring about this fact, you've taken this too far, made this more competitive that it ever was meant to be. It has in essence always been a chat thread with bursts of counting when the time was right. With regards to gloating, yes there was a thread title change, I would call that a joke, not gloating. Also I'd like to see you try and honestly say that users don't gloat when they win...please go ahead and try proving that. But that's the thing, in the past it's always been in good nature, it's always been like when you beat your friends at Mario Kart Wii, you might get up and dance around a little, but you're friends and that's cool and things are good, because you know there's always another time, and all it takes is a well timed blue shell, or a bullet bill and you're good, you're golden, you're the winner that time.

So yes, it sucks for you that we've won twice in two days. When I've been a mod on here I've had days and days on end when users have won and reached really high scores. Such is life. You don't see me stropping and going "well the users have won and been happy about it so therefore I'm going to shut the thread and never post here again". I NEVER went around posting on other mods walls about how the users were clearly planning to do something and proving points.

The point is, I never cared if you guys won or not, I cared about you guys. In fact I cared so much that since I woke up at 11 I've been writing this post (that's an hour and a half I've spent writing this), and this whole time I've really needed to pee, but you guys matter(ed) to me so much, and this thread means so SO much to me, that you are way more important than my discomfort and my bladder's pain. And that's the truth of the matter. I would go a very long way to try and help the people in this thread, I've spent a lot of time trying to help the people here and be their friends. But right now I can't be on this thread because clearly you guys see this thread in a very different light to me, you see it as a place where you either win or lose, when really the best prize of all was having friendship with the posters here. Yes this thread has inevitably changed since Mark III, different people, different chat, different levels of users and mods (sometimes more users, sometimes more mods), but I never thought I'd see a time when the friendship of others on this thread was less important than winning. It saddens me, it upsets me and mostly it disappoints me, because I thought better of everyone who posted here.

That's it. I've had my say and I apologise that it's so long, but I think you might just find if you read it, that there are a few hometruths that people need to remember. I don't want to inflame the situation and maybe I shouldn't be posting this, but I didn't want people to think that I'm abandoning this thread because of a strop, or because I can't be bothered anymore - I want people to know that it genuinely hurts me that I have to leave this thread, because this thread and me go way way back. I'm sorry for those of you who I would count as my friends that I won't be posting here anymore, I honestly do hope you stay in touch because you're awesome awesome people. Those who I didn't know, I'm sorry that I never got the chance to get to know you, I'm sure I'll see you around on TSR. And those who I knew and liked and who've acted like this, well I'm sorry that you've lost sight of the fact this thread was first and foremost about chat, and friendship and fun, and the counting has always been just a sideline to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    x
    You don't have to leave, Emily. I'm already leaving this thread, and soon enough I'll be leaving TSR too anyway.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViceVersa)
    You don't have to leave, Emily. I'm already leaving this thread, and soon enough I'll be leaving TSR too anyway.
    But you're such a credit to the Medicine forum, VV.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.