Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Count to 100 before a Mod, Supermod, or Admin posts Mk XVII Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
      Seventeen
      Would you say Iris Murdoch isn't any good, then? I haven't read anything by her yet but I've got The Sea, The Sea on my shelf. :holmes:
      • PS Helper
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Abiraleft)
      Would you say Iris Murdoch isn't any good, then? I haven't read anything by her yet but I've got The Sea, The Sea on my shelf. :holmes:

Well.. I never, as a rule, judge a book that I haven't read even if I hate the author. I've heard her other stuff is 10/10 on numerous occasions.

However, Iris Murdoch is a disgrace. She has no idea what she's talking about. Her entire philosophy has been ridiculed by the academic community for the past 20 years now, once it became apparent she didn't have any substance behind her ideas on morality. The short version of her belief is that 'Moral Philosophy as a school of thought is broken. However, I have no idea how to do it better, so I'm going to pretend that I do.'

I find her to be a hypocrite quite bluntly. Quotes about literature from her describe one idea as if she writes like that, but in actual fact her writing is exactly the kind of style she is critical of.

On a side note about her, she left the communist party and spent her latter years criticising it so she could get an American visa. She was also born in Ireland, and made it quite clear that she didn't want to be associated with 'Those animals' (Irish People) and considered herself English. She's really racist towards Irish people in her books, and that's another thing that puts me off reading anything of hers again.

Well.. I never, as a rule, judge a book that I haven't read even if I hate the author. I've heard her other stuff is 10/10 on numerous occasions.

However, Iris Murdoch is a disgrace. She has no idea what she's talking about. Her entire philosophy has been ridiculed by the academic community for the past 20 years now, once it became apparent she didn't have any substance behind her ideas on morality. The short version of her belief is that 'Moral Philosophy as a school of thought is broken. However, I have no idea how to do it better, so I'm going to pretend that I do.'

I find her to be a hypocrite quite bluntly. Quotes about literature from her describe one idea as if she writes like that, but in actual fact her writing is exactly the kind of style she is critical of.

On a side note about her, she left the communist party and spent her latter years criticising it so she could get an American visa. She was also born in Ireland, and made it quite clear that she didn't want to be associated with 'Those animals' (Irish People) and considered herself English. She's really racist towards Irish people in her books, and that's another thing that puts me off reading anything of hers again.
        Interesting. Scouring her Wikipedia page now. :holmes:
        • PS Helper
        • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
        Interesting. Scouring her Wikipedia page now. :holmes:

Like I said, books might be good. I think T.S. Eliot is an absolute tool, but of course his stuff is good

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ViceVersa)
        I know how you feel. I wish to travel too. And remember the thing I told you about the money thing, meaning I'm unlikely to be able to go to Japan? That sort of sucks. But I might be going to India and Romania this year, the former my friend's family is paying for most of it and the latter is an offer to teach there for a while in exchange for cheaper ticket, experience, place to stay, that type of stuff. :yep:
        That sounds really good, hope you have a great time. India's somewhere I'd like to visit, as well. :yep:

Like I said, books might be good. I think T.S. Eliot is an absolute tool, but of course his stuff is good
          Mm, The Sea, The Sea is evidently a Booker Prize winner, so I suppose it must be at least decent. :dontknow:
          • PS Helper
          • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
          Mm, The Sea, The Sea is evidently a Booker Prize winner, so I suppose it must be at least decent. :dontknow:

Most things by famous authors are to be honest. Is who you know not what you write :giggle:

Give it a go and let me know!

Most things by famous authors are to be honest. Is who you know not what you write :giggle:

Give it a go and let me know!
            Ah, conspiracy. :teeth:

I shall. :yy:

ReputationRep:
            • TSR Support Team
            • Very Important Poster
            • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
            Two

Buckle my shoe.
              • TSR Support Team
              • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
              Ok that was pretty clever

Still annoying though

(Original post by shadowdweller)
                Ok that was pretty clever

Still annoying though

Thanks. :proud:
                • TSR Support Team
                • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
                1 :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
                Two

ReputationRep:
                and no shoes. That's ancient.

make that 3!

ReputationRep:
                Four!

ReputationRep:
                Five
                • TSR Support Team
                • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
                Six

ReputationRep:
                Seven

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2013
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
              Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.