Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, when I looked at a stress/strain graph for two ductile metals (copper and gold) I noticed a dip where the elastic limit is exceeded and plastic deformation begins. Can somebody explain why this dip occurs? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horro421)
    Hey, when I looked at a stress/strain graph for two ductile metals (copper and gold) I noticed a dip where the elastic limit is exceeded and plastic deformation begins. Can somebody explain why this dip occurs? Thanks
    After the elastic limit is exceeded, as you said, plastic deformation occurs. Hence there's a much larger increase in strain for a smaller increase in stress. Understand?

ReputationRep:
    you give a tiny force and get a much larger increase in extenstion!

ReputationRep:
    I think that the question is more about why the graphs start to "go down" again - that is, why the extension continues to increase when the loading force is decreased. For materials like this, once the elastic limit has been passed, they can behave like this; removing part of the loading force and then gently putting the wire under the remaining loading force can still cause the wire to extend. It's worth doing this for yourself if possible; once you've experienced it with a copper wire, for example, it's easier to believe! (Doubt that you'll have the chance to do it with gold...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.