Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am about to complete my Bachelor degree in english literature and i am interested in postgraduate courses in American Literature in UK. I am waiting for this semester's grades to start my applications. Which courses and universities would you suggest?also i am a bit confused about the taught and research degrees.Which would you recommend? Specifically I am interested in USA minority literature.

ReputationRep:
    I think Aberystwyth is fairly strongly in ethnic American lit..

Universities with strong American Studies departments/centres, generally, are (off the top of my head): UEA , Warwick, Leicester, Sussex, and Birmingham.

You don't necessarily need an American Studies department, though, especially if you are mostly interested in literature. Many English departments will offer specific MA's in American Literature (I know Essex, Kent and Goldsmiths do for instance) - you'll need to look at each individually to see whether they offer the kind of support in ethnic American lit that you are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    UEA, Leeds, Kent & Goldsmiths all have American Lit MA courses.

UEA is currently offering funding : http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AFT371/ma-scholarships/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madamemerle)
    I think Aberystwyth is fairly strongly in ethnic American lit..

Universities with strong American Studies departments/centres, generally, are (off the top of my head): UEA , Warwick, Leicester, Sussex, and Birmingham.

You don't necessarily need an American Studies department, though, especially if you are mostly interested in literature. Many English departments will offer specific MA's in American Literature (I know Essex, Kent and Goldsmiths do for instance) - you'll need to look at each individually to see whether they offer the kind of support in ethnic American lit that you are looking for.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I am definately more interested in literature so i will look up the universities you mentioned. Although, i searched Birmingham, Sussex and Essex postgraduate courses and i was inable to find any MA in American Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    UEA, Leeds, Kent & Goldsmiths all have American Lit MA courses.

UEA is currently offering funding : http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AFT371/ma-scholarships/
    Thank you very much for for reply. I was not aware of the funding available in UEA but it would be a great help for my studies. You've been very helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.