Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you consider this body attractive? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you consider this body attractive?
    Yes
    30.55%
    No
    69.45%

ReputationRep:
    Urgh! :lolwut: No.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Ahh great, now I feel emasculated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Do you think its fine that the girls in this thread are calling the man in the OP disgusting?
    Do you also think it would be fine for guys to call pictures of girls disgusting?
    Of course not. I don't think it's fine to call anyone's appearance "disgusting", whoever you are and whatever you might think. It says more about the person saying it than the person it's said about. Sorry if that wasn't the response you were hoping for :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackM95)
    Obviously it only works one way, a lot of men do not find women more attractive who work out, and thats more due to human nature and the way in which males and females are attracted to each (e.g typical alpha male etc..)

However, a lot of men actually work out to impress women (well in my gym anyway) , and it's a lot of effort just for the female population so it does feel nice when its appreciated. You can kind of compare it to females wearing make-up or dressing up nice to impress guys, its what men feel they need/should do in order to make themselves more physically attractive to women, + its healthy when done properly and let's you lead a more active, longer and fuller life, I think that should be respected if I'm honest, however I undestand if you for example do not find it attractive and that is down to preference, I was just trying to explain the discrepancy between the genders.
    I think it's fine to be healthy and active, and I still find guys that work out attractive. The guy in the OP, however, has gone far beyond just staying fit. He's gone to the extreme, which I personally don't find attractive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Not really. If a guy posted a photo of a body building female with extreme muscularity then she would be called disgusting. The same if the woman looked like an emaciated catwalk model.
    I disagree. Society holds the view that men should have more muscle than women. Meaning that females need much less muscle before they're labelled as "extreme" compared to men. If you were to get some of these milder female body builders and compare them to guys with the exact same muscle mass, you'd see that most would label the female as extreme but the male as not.

(Original post by a10)
    lmao this. I agreee but its woman logic. If we did this on a female thread you would get serious hate.
    Tell me about it...

(Original post by sissoko46)
    I noticed that you're an avid supporter of male rights. But anyway you're half correct on this one but I think its because men aren't often sensitive enough to fall into something like anorexia as women are just because someone said something about their weight just like you called me a "scrawny wimp" the other day which had which no affect on me and won't make me fall into bulimia and if someone called me fat it won't make me anorexic. You saw for yourself didn't you when I jokingly implied that girl on the thread was fat the way she got all upset.
    Then girls need to man the **** up then. If they think its fine to insult male physiques they shouldn't get upset when guys do it to them too.

(Original post by Implo)
    From what I hear, older women are a lot more attracted to this then younger girls, should of put an age range with the poll
    It would be quite an interesting idea actually. I think that somehow women that are 30+ years old would answer very differently to the girls in this thread. Actually girls in real life answer differently too....at least the ones not into the whole "Justin Bieber/1 direction skinny pretty boy" crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekasim)
    Yeah on TSR things are quite different. My theory is, most of the females on here are munters, they know they can't get a man with that sort of physique, so they like fatties and twigs instead. And for the guys, well, they're just jealous, hence the negs.
    But if that were the case, why would the same women be suggesting men with six packs, models, etc as men they prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    okay then, how is this guys physique over the the normal working out range? He looks amazing!

I admire this guy, its guys like him who inspire us people who go to the gym every week to work even harder and know that one day you can look like that and look in the mirror and be proud.
    I actually do agree with where you're coming from. But his body is out of the normal range you can't deny, so I can see why some people will find it unattractive, especially if they never go to the gym themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Those who say that guys voted "yes" are wrong because I've voted "no". Unless am not a guy :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belligerent ghoul)
    Of course not. I don't think it's fine to call anyone's appearance "disgusting", whoever you are and whatever you might think. It says more about the person saying it than the person it's said about. Sorry if that wasn't the response you were hoping for :rolleyes:
    Every other reply ITT seems to consist of something "disgusting" about the man's legs/shoulder/arms etc. But its ok, guys just have to "man up" when confronted with those insults... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    Yes for real, no not joking. I like a man who looks like a natural man, just like a lot of guys prefer girls who haven't starved themselves or who haven't had boob jobs up to a size K. It's not like I posted a morbidly obese guy so I don't see why you'd want to throw up?
    You really think the picture with the hairy guy holding his balls is sexy?

(Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Hmm.
    ?

ReputationRep:
    The more I look at the photo the more attractive it becomes. I would still find it a bit too much though, it is a bit intimidating..

ReputationRep:
    Legs are just too much..way too much! Other than that really nice! :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Do you like Tom Hardy? Tom Hardy probably has a similar level of muscle, it's just rounded and covered by a larger layer of fat. I personally think that kind of body looks far more attractive than shredded body-builder type.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 21, I don't like the guy in the picture.

As to the post I've quoted, I don't know who this Tom bloke is but I agree that men with muscle that seem to be softened with a layer of fat (is that how it works?) are a lot more attractive to me. That's definitely what I would describe as attractive. The only guy I can think of is M Shadows from A7X, minus the tattoos. He's strong and bulky but not overly ripped.

Strong and manly, but will succumb to a cuddle. Perfect.

ReputationRep:
    I think a few things are going on here:

1) To look good casually when not posing/tensing your muscles do pretty much need to look really big when tensed. In this picture the guy is tensing and almost certainly straight out of the gym with a massive pump where his body looks by far its most muscular.

2) A case could be made for his traps (those neck muscles) being out of proportion (a bit too large) but this is partly due to the angle he is taking to make himself look more muscular+tensing. Heres a little experiment for you, go grab a normal looking guy (who isn't super thin) and have him stand upright and relaxed. He will look like he has very normal normal traps (i.e not much there at all). Now get him to hunch over forward and tense his arms/shoulders/neck area, I promise you his traps will look massive in comparison to what they looked like before, this is in part what's going on here.

3) Most people saying "no" are largely in shock from seeing such an unfamiliar physique- lets face it, in this day and age most people are shockingly out of shape. Just go into any shopping mall and observe the huge waves of obese people/people with beer guts/incredibly skinny guys. People with a normal weight in shape healthy body are in the minority now! People are so used to seeing unconditioned, un-functional bodies that seeing a body that is properly in shape comes as a complete shock, and people don't like what they are not used to.

4) A lot of people are simply feeling intimidated by his impressive shape. No doubt he is very strong and could crush the average female fairly easy but this is no reason to find the physique unappealing. I'm sure if you got to knew the guy (and he wasn't a complete ****) being able to put a personality to the body would drastically reduce how intimidating his physique is. I have a hunch that the more sport/in shape a girl was herself the more attractive she'd find this type of body. Obviously this is in general, so don't go calling me out just because you are one sporty girl who doesn't like this body type.

5) This is TSR.

TBH most top level Div I college football players will have very similar physiques to this guy. Some will even be more muscular, though many will probably carry around some extra fat. These guys are some of the most athletic people around so lol @ the posts saying "how can this guy even walk!?" His legs whilst impressive aren't even that big, people just aren't used to seeing legs that are not either (a)fat (b) just not built at all.

I think if you got this guy to stand in a neutral not tensed fashion, without a full body pump fresh from the gym, without that forward hunch/neck tense and with slightly smaller traps and a tiny bit more body fat you'd get a very different response. Also, I think the more pictures of similar physiques you get the people who dislike this physique to look at, the more they'd grow to like the physique as a lot of the dislike or "revulsion" is simply lack of familiarity.

Oh and on a final note I think that the guy in that alternative picture being bandied around that is so popular with the girls of TSR just looks a bit boyish. Can't quite place it but his physique looks at least as out of proportion as the pic in the original OP and just a bit childish really. As I say I can't place it but I think its the overly developed and broad shoulders compared to really narrow everything else.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:

"The more I look at the photo the more attractive it becomes. I would still find it a bit too much though, it is a bit intimidating.." (EffieFlowers)

Case in point about the whole familiarity thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Hardly see how that makes any sense seeing as fat weighs a lot less than muscle.
    I honestly don't have scientific backing behind the idea that fat supports your muscle/core strength, I'm guessing it has something to do with protecting internal organs (during very, very heavy lifts)?

It's commonly accepted among powerlifters though that you need fat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Lot of people on here seem to think that if women pick up weights then this happens:
    Attachment 190883
    This doesn't happen naturally, she's on shed loads of steroids. What happens when women pick up weights is this:
    Attachment 190887
    Minus the silicone tits

Yeah girls are scared to lift heavy where in reality they need to get toned

ReputationRep:
    his book case seems very similar to mine.. harry potter, dan brown, alex rider..

No, too muscly a bit more body fat, spends too much time at gym, too gym monkey, granted I'm impressed at it, also I'm not gay so I dunno, but its not how I would like to look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Every other reply ITT seems to consist of something "disgusting" about the man's legs/shoulder/arms etc. But its ok, guys just have to "man up" when confronted with those insults... :erm:
    Apart from maybe one post on this page*, I can't see much of that at all. You want to talk gender inequality, simply look around for the slew of misogynistic threads that crop up here daily.

I agree that men are generally expected to "get over" personal insults more than women, and no, that isn't fair at all but I think you are overreacting to the replies here, most of which are pretty polite.

*page 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    You really think the picture with the hairy guy holding his balls is sexy?
    On second closer look I'd say minus the top 1/6 or so of the picture where the nipples are but yeah. If you put the nipples and above from the bottom picture on the top picture it would be pretty much perfect (with added arm and leg hair like I said before).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    The difference is that males are naturally supposed to be muscular and females aren't.
    You're confusing social gender constructs with the word natural. That isn't true at all. If men were meant to be naturally muscular you wouldn't have to work out, no man has ever looked like the OP without training the body. That is more siding with unnatural as you have to work so hard to achieve it.

The guys who put so much emphasis on bodies always leave their faces out, I wonder why. To me it is unattractive, it screams vanity and insecurity.

A guys face matters way more than his body. A guy with a better face can get a million times the attention then a ugly guy who works out and is whole topic of conversation considers of "sick delts brah".

I like both these guys, one is muscular, one isn't, BOTH have nice faces.

Name:  StarRhodes2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  140.8 KBName:  rupert_friend3.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  26.0 KB

Also notice in the wwe how it is the least muscular guys who all the girls like, such as Cody Rhodes, cm punk etc are all consider way more attractive than John Cena. The girls like muscles myth is so silly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.