Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this is irrelevant, but if you wouldn't mind, could you answer some of my questions about philosophy at as level? I'm currently in year eleven and philosophy is one of my potential choices for AS. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, I'm new here .

Just some questions:

1) What grades did you achieve at GCSE? (+did you take philosophy and ethics?)
    2) Is it enjoyable/interesting to study?
    3) How tough is the workload? (hours per week etc.)
    4) How difficult is the reading?
    5) How difficult are the examinations (if you know)
    6) Did you do any independent reading before you began being taught philosophy at AS level?
    7) Do you think my grades will suffice in the way of reading/essay writing?
    (For both English Language + Literature I was predicted a B however in coursework and the latest mocks have been achieving A grades. Maths, Stats and triple science I'm scoring As, and in all other subjects Bs)

I'd really appreciate it if you could help me.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prekt)
    I know this is irrelevant, but if you wouldn't mind, could you answer some of my questions about philosophy at as level? I'm currently in year eleven and philosophy is one of my potential choices for AS. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, I'm new here .

Just some questions:

6) Did you do any independent reading before you began being taught philosophy at AS level?
    (For both English Language + Literature I was predicted a B however in coursework and the latest mocks have been achieving A grades. Maths, Stats and triple science I'm scoring As, and in all other subjects Bs)

Thanks!
    Hi, no, I don't mind!
    Just to be clear though, these answers relate to ACTUAL PHILOSOPHY A LEVEL NOT PHILOSOPHY AND ETHICS, WHICH IS IN FACT RELIGIOUS STUDIES. I do also do P&E (RE) so if that is what you wanted the answers for, let me know and I will answer your Q's in relation to that
    1) mainly A's, a few B's, and no.
    2) Yes, very, although some of the detail can be tedious.
    3) at AS, not tough in my experience. I am teaching myself and sometimes I think this makes a subject easier than if you are being taught by someone else as the work you do is more streamlined and focussed on the exam. At A2 there is more content to cover and quite a lot more to remember and you need to use mre than just 2 textbooks to cover everything you will need for the exam in sufficient detail. At AS, the exam questions tend to surround about a third of the topic content, at A2, the exam questions focus on much smaller areas, maybe like a tenth of a topic, so you do need to do extra work.
    4) not overly difficult, but it does take some people a bit of time to get used to reading philosophical texts as the language can be a bit complex. After a while though, your brain gets used to it and it's fine.
    5) At AS, not too bad, for the reasons given in 3 above. Harder at A2. BUT, the wording can be a bit obscure sometimes, which can lead to confusion surrounding what they actually want you to write about.
    6) no.
    7) yes

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the reply - Will definitely consider taking philosophy when I go to college.

Once more, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prekt)
    Thank you so much for the reply - Will definitely consider taking philosophy when I go to college.

Once more, thanks!
    No worries! If you are good at essay writing and thinking analytically, I think it's a great A level to take! It's quite unusual too, relatively speaking, and it is well respected by universities as it teaches you to think critically and logically, and that's useful for almost any degree course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prekt)

Just some questions:

Thanks!
    This post is in the wrong thread, lol. But never mind.

I achieved 3As, 6Bc and 3Cs. I got a B in Religious Education. I never took Philosophy and Ethics.

I find Philosophy very very interesting to study and yeah it's enjoyable... But hard. Very hard.

Erm. Personally I'd say you have to keep re reading stuff which can be time consuming and then it's understanding it. Compared with other subjects where you'd just learn it and usually you'd understand it.

Honestly. Very difficult. Imagine if I gave you a Philosophy booklet and told you to start reading it. You wouldn't really understand it. That's basically what it's like. Even though I'm been studying Philosophy it doesn't get any easier. It's still hard. When I first started I thought I'd get some help or something, but no... You literally just start reading whatever it is. I hope this is making sense to you. What I basically mean is, I expected something to be different. But it's like nothing is different. My understanding from reading the booklet in September would have been no different to August. I didn't start doing any reading in August because I assumed when I started studying Philosophy I'd somehow 'gain something'. However I didn't.

Hard. Understanding the question it's the hardest part. So many people mess up on that. It's also relating the content back to the question...

No. Reasons above...

7) Do you think my grades will suffice in the way of reading/essay writing?[/B] (For both English Language + Literature I was predicted a B however in coursework and the latest mocks have been achieving A grades. Maths, Stats and triple science I'm scoring As, and in all other subjects Bs)

I think in A-levels generally it would good if you/any one really had a wide range of vocabulary. I think essay writing is hard. But it's something that can be worked on. So don't worry about your grades in that sense.

I really hope this helped. And if you have any more questions feel free to pm me any time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.