Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Absolutely awful session. Watch

ReputationRep:
    For the last two sessions I have failed in lifts now on Rippetoes. With the squat, I got to 105kg , but it feels like a tonne and I can't get to parallel. I have deloaded to 95kg and that was fine today but I just feel ****ing awful.

With the bench press, I did 57.5kg alright on New Years Eve, and then today I couldn't lift 60kg for more than 2 reps. Then I was told to leave the gym because the gym was closing for the evening.

I just feel ****ing awful with these lifts as of late because it feels like i'm just going backwards. It's just so frustrating, especially since effectively today I only did 2 good sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirin?)
    For the last two sessions I have failed in lifts now on Rippetoes. With the squat, I got to 105kg , but it feels like a tonne and I can't get to parallel. I have deloaded to 95kg and that was fine today but I just feel ****ing awful.

With the bench press, I did 57.5kg alright on New Years Eve, and then today I couldn't lift 60kg for more than 2 reps. Then I was told to leave the gym because the gym was closing for the evening.

I just feel ****ing awful with these lifts as of late because it feels like i'm just going backwards. It's just so frustrating, especially since effectively today I only did 2 good sets.
    Are you tracking calories/macros? And how si your BP technique are you making sure your solid and tight under the bar? I stalled for ages on the bench until I sorted my form out..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Are you tracking calories/macros? And how si your BP technique are you making sure your solid and tight under the bar? I stalled for ages on the bench until I sorted my form out..
    Yes, calories have been alright.

My technique was fine when I lifted 57.5kg 3x5, in fact I lifted 5,6,6 for my first attempt. The bar went down 1-2 inches off my chest (I can't get it lower without feel an uncomfortable feeling from a former injury) so it was not a depth problem per se.

I will try again next session, but its bench, its frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, calories have been alright.

My technique was fine when I lifted 57.5kg 3x5, in fact I lifted 5,6,6 for my first attempt. The bar went down 1-2 inches off my chest (I can't get it lower without feel an uncomfortable feeling from a former injury) so it was not a depth problem per se.

I will try again next session, but its bench, its frustrating.
    Just to put it into perpective I've always struggled with bench as well, 9 times out fo 10 when I increase the weight my reps go from 3x5 to something like 3 2 1 or even (like last session I went from 62.3kg to 65kg) 2 1 1. So then I have to go up from 3 2 1 to 4 3 2 to 5 4 3 to 3x5 for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Just to put it into perpective I've always struggled with bench as well, 9 times out fo 10 when I increase the weight my reps go from 3x5 to something like 3 2 1 or even (like last session I went from 62.3kg to 65kg) 2 1 1. So then I have to go up from 3 2 1 to 4 3 2 to 5 4 3 to 3x5 for example
    Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one then! Do you persevere with the same weight or do you decrease the weight the next session? I may just decrease it to 57.5kg 3x5 again and see if i can do it.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been doing the programme? I'm not one for usually recommending a change but there is a time when there's a mental and physical benefit to changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    How long have you been doing the programme? I'm not one for usually recommending a change but there is a time when there's a mental and physical benefit to changing.
    Since the end of September. I planned on sticking to the programme until I got to 140kg squat. I don't want to feel like i'm giving up on it when i can still have gains off it. But tbh, these last two sessions have been frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Since the end of September. I planned on sticking to the programme until I got to 140kg squat. I don't want to feel like i'm giving up on it when i can still have gains off it. But tbh, these last two sessions have been frustrating.
    That isn't long at all so I wouldn't say change it either. 2 **** sessions this early in is 2 **** sessions and at this point I'd say leave it at that, don't assume it means things more broadly are going to ****. More so when a bit of that **** feeling is because of the gym closing.

I think for now deload (as in a few weeks back's weight) and keep going forward and assume you will keep going forward. The occasional deload isn't going backwards, it's just a particular hurdle requiring a bit more work than normal. If once you have worked your way back to where you were then be concerned.

ReputationRep:
    What's your goal OP? Mass? Strength?

ReputationRep:
    Did you start the program from the bar and increase from there or did you start at a heavier weight? If you started quite heavy you'll not progress as well.

How long have you been doing the program as well? Once you've had to deload a few times I'd recommend moving on to Madcows 5x5. It's another strength program, but you only increase lifts 1x week but you still gain a lot more strength compared to other routines out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    That isn't long at all so I wouldn't say change it either. 2 **** sessions this early in is 2 **** sessions and at this point I'd say leave it at that, don't assume it means things more broadly are going to ****. More so when a bit of that **** feeling is because of the gym closing.

I think for now deload (as in a few weeks back's weight) and keep going forward and assume you will keep going forward. The occasional deload isn't going backwards, it's just a particular hurdle requiring a bit more work than normal. If once you have worked your way back to where you were then be concerned.
    I think with the bench, I just need to drop my ego with it and accept that it is an inherent weakness of mine. My short term goal is to get 70kg bench, but I've been stuck on the 50's for a while now (Since the start of November I think, I have kept needing to deload and benching once a week really wasn't helping).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=24
    As you can see, its been quite a long time now since i've been stuck on the 50's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    What's your goal OP? Mass? Strength?
    Strength for now. I'll think about bodybuilding when i feel i'm strong enough.

ReputationRep:
    I think with the bench, I just need to drop my ego with it and accept that it is an inherent weakness of mine. My short term goal is to get 70kg bench, but I've been stuck on the 50's for a while now (Since the start of November I think, I have kept needing to deload and benching once a week really wasn't helping).
    Sound like a good idea.

I started with a 60kg bench. Done 5x5 from 30 up to 40s and stuck there form mid November 2011 until I got 50 at the end of January 2012. More or less been fine since then (the less being a detour into Westside which didn't work well for me). I think the thing with bench when your 1RM isn't big is that 1kg increase even is a fairly big percentage increase so it just takes time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Sound like a good idea.

I started with a 60kg bench. Done 5x5 from 30 up to 40s and stuck there form mid November 2011 until I got 50 at the end of January 2012. More or less been fine since then (the less being a detour into Westside which didn't work well for me). I think the thing with bench when your 1RM isn't big is that 1kg increase even is a fairly big percentage increase so it just takes time.
    Yeah, the 40's don't sound like much but for me it was bloody tough to get good form and increase to get to the 50's. What made you get better after January 2012, what changed?

Yeah, I somewhat agree , the addition of 2.5kg from 57.5kg to 60kg really felt a lot heavier than it actually seems.

ReputationRep:
    How often are you benching? You don't get much bench/press frequency on SS. Also try going for 5x5. Volume helps with everything especially if you're stalling. There will always be certain lifts that you are weak on so you may just need to devote a little more time to them than simply following a fixed programme. My two pence. I found progressing to 82.5kg bench a breeze but EVERYTHING else lagged!

ReputationRep:
    Strength for now. I'll think about bodybuilding when i feel i'm strong enough.
    Why when your long term goal is bodybuilding are you focusing on strength?

Put simply, strength doesn't matter nearly as much as this forum think it does. It's just an ego boost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    How often are you benching? You don't get much bench/press frequency on SS. Also try going for 5x5. Volume helps with everything especially if you're stalling. There will always be certain lifts that you are weak on so you may just need to devote a little more time to them than simply following a fixed programme. My two pence. I found progressing to 82.5kg bench a breeze but EVERYTHING else lagged!
    Thanks man. I am often only benching once a week with 3 working sets because of the nature of the programme (as you know with Rippetoes, you do bench twice a week then on the next week you do it once a week, then twice again). You fail attempts one week and then you think '****, i will have to wait till next week to try again', meanwhile, you really lack the volume because you've just failed your attempts for the day! Which is the situation i'm finding myself in tbh.

I think I need to up the volume now tbh, it's just got to the point where it is frustrating me and distracting me from my other lifts, not a good precedent to set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Why when your long term goal is bodybuilding are you focusing on strength?

Put simply, strength doesn't matter nearly as much as this forum think it does. It's just an ego boost.
    I want to be able to pump bigger weights too , as an ego thing. Guess I'm just greedy.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be able to pump bigger weights too , as an ego thing. Guess I'm just greedy.
    Fair enough, but pumping bigger weights won't make you grow and bigger or faster. All that matters is that your stimulating the muscle fibers, no matter the weight. Rippetoes program is awful for anyone who wants size.

ReputationRep:
    Just vary your reps ranges up, some heavy, some low. Sticking to 3x5 is too robotic and not that much on the grand scheme of things. Do as many sets as you feel you can do on the session without burning out. You'll get stronger that way, if that's your aim

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.