Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Fair enough, but pumping bigger weights won't make you grow and bigger or faster. All that matters is that your stimulating the muscle fibers, no matter the weight. Rippetoes program is awful for anyone who wants size.
    I agree to an extent, I don't think its awful for size gain intention, I just don't think it is optimal. But for what it is, it is intended to get you as strong as possible as quickly as possible. But for bench, i really don't think it works very well for strength gains either once you get past a certain point (i.e. once you are past the initial newb phase).

For squats and deadlifts, it is very damn good though. I just want to get all the strength I can get from it then run the **** away from it to something else.

ReputationRep:
    There's no harm in doing a hybrid split

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirin?)
    Yeah, the 40's don't sound like much but for me it was bloody tough to get good form and increase to get to the 50's. What made you get better after January 2012, what changed?

Yeah, I somewhat agree , the addition of 2.5kg from 57.5kg to 60kg really felt a lot heavier than it actually seems.
    Not sure really. Looking back at my log it just seems I kept trying and eventually it went. I got 45, failed 47, failed 45, went down to 40, got to 50. Obviously there was a fair bit faffing and failing in between where I'm not entirly sure what I was thinking but whatever it was probably wasn't too sensible

ReputationRep:
    I agree to an extent, I don't think its awful for size gain intention, I just don't think it is optimal. But for what it is, it is intended to get you as strong as possible as quickly as possible. But for bench, i really don't think it works very well for strength gains either once you get past a certain point (i.e. once you are past the initial newb phase).

For squats and deadlifts, it is very damn good though. I just want to get all the strength I can get from it then run the **** away from it to something else.
    Perfect example of how bad it is though. You just wanna "Run the **** away from it." When your lifting. This shouldn't happen. You should enjoy what your doing. Not want to run away from it.

Never done any strength program and never will. I want pure mass. 8-12 all day err day.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect example of how bad it is though. You just wanna "Run the **** away from it." When your lifting. This shouldn't happen. You should enjoy what your doing. Not want to run away from it.

Never done any strength program and never will. I want pure mass. 8-12 all day err day.
    Wouldn't you prefer to be as strong as you can and have mass? It's an investment. It is a goddamn repetitive programme , but I have been satisfied with the results despite the programmes obvious weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you prefer to be as strong as you can and have mass? It's an investment. It is a goddamn repetitive programme , but I have been satisfied with the results despite the programmes obvious weaknesses.
    Why? It's just an ego boost. Doesn't bother me whatsover. Even while doing 8-12 reps you gain strength?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one then! Do you persevere with the same weight or do you decrease the weight the next session? I may just decrease it to 57.5kg 3x5 again and see if i can do it.
    I stick with the same weight and just up the reps on the next workout till I get 3x5!

ReputationRep:
    Are you eating enough food?

How is sleep?

Do you take caffeine pre - workout? Always an option.

Are you enjoying following this routine? No point trying to spin your wheels if you're not totally motivated to train. Could always change to something else or take a few days off, deload and ramp up again.

but pumping bigger weights won't make you grow and bigger or faster. All that matters is that your stimulating the muscle fibers, no matter the weight.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    I ain't mirin!

I got the "leave the gym we closed", today too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I ain't mirin!

I got the "leave the gym we closed", today too
    Ah, an old friend

I started training in September again after a long time off due to injury. Pretty ****ty lifts tbh in the grand scheme of things, but, I will keep working on the bench.

I think I could have done some more work at 57.5kg but tbh they were turning off the lights so that really pissed me off lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Are you eating enough food?

How is sleep?

Do you take caffeine pre - workout? Always an option.

Are you enjoying following this routine? No point trying to spin your wheels if you're not totally motivated to train. Could always change to something else or take a few days off, deload and ramp up again.

Source?
    I am eating enough food. Sleep is fine. I haven't took creatine (or a preworkout) for 2 days, that might have hindered my progress somewhat.

Once I break through this plateau I will feel so good.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, an old friend

I started training in September again after a long time off due to injury. Pretty ****ty lifts tbh in the grand scheme of things, but, I will keep working on the bench.

I think I could have done some more work at 57.5kg but tbh they were turning off the lights so that really pissed me off lol.
    I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll probably never bench 100, it kills me, it makes me despair, I ain't getting it natty I have **** tier genetics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll probably never bench 100, it kills me, it makes me despair, I ain't getting it natty I have **** tier genetics
    What makes you say that? What did you start off benching? What do you bench now? How long have you been benching?

I consider myself pretty crap at benching (and lifting weights in general) and am at 57.5kg 5x5/60kg 5,4,3,3,3 having trained flat barbell bench for just under two months and even though 100kg seems an impossible feat right now I'm sure I'll achieve it given a couple of years of dedicated training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I empathise with you there, my benching is god awful, as are my chest genetics in general. I have a very narrow clavicle so it makes things difficult. I think I will look very good aesthetically, but chest is a big weakness of mine.
    I would have thought everyone reaches 100kg if they stick to strength programmes though? Or are genetics more important than I think? (Pardon my ignorance).

Shoulders are alright though surprisingly, 45kg military press in under 4 months without major hiccups along the way is not bad tbh. Squats and deadlifts I find are quite good for me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    What makes you say that? What did you start off benching? What do you bench now? How long have you been benching?

I consider myself pretty crap at benching (and lifting weights in general) and am at 57.5kg 5x5/60kg 5,4,3,3,3 having trained flat barbell bench for just under two months and even though 100kg seems an impossible feat right now I'm sure I'll achieve it given a couple of years of dedicated training.
    I've been training like 2 years and I bench 95 -__- I'm ashamed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I've been training like 2 years and I bench 95 -__- I'm ashamed
    Right so you're not going to make a 5kg improvement in the rest of your training life lol...

And is that a 1RM or 5RM or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Right so you're not going to make a 5kg improvement in the rest of your training life lol...

And is that a 1RM or 5RM or what?
    It's been at that for like 3-4 months man, is 3 reps at 95, I still can't push out the 100 for 1 rep though, 5 rep max for 3 sets is 90

I empathise with you there, my benching is god awful, as are my chest genetics in general. I have a very narrow clavicle so it makes things difficult. I think I will look very good aesthetically, but chest is a big weakness of mine.
    I would have thought everyone reaches 100kg if they stick to strength programmes though? Or are genetics more important than I think? (Pardon my ignorance).

Shoulders are alright though surprisingly, 45kg military press in under 4 months without major hiccups along the way is not bad tbh. Squats and deadlifts I find are quite good for me too.

Yeah my lower body is way stronger than upper body in proportion, rather it was the other way round lol

ReputationRep:
    Take a couple of days off. It's easy to get burnt out, especially on SS.

Since you're failing on the pushes, try adding 3x8 skullcrushers or pushdowns on OHP day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    It's been at that for like 3-4 months man, is 3 reps at 95, I still can't push out the 100 for 1 rep though, 5 rep max for 3 sets is 90

Yeah my lower body is way stronger than upper body in proportion, rather it was the other way round lol
    Do loads of triples at 92.5kg/95kg/97.5kg. Go for like 20-30 reps in total then add 2.5kg next session. Might wanna start at 90kg actually. In a few sessions you'll get a hundred no problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    I stick with the same weight and just up the reps on the next workout till I get 3x5!
    Even if you get like 3,2,1 say, so you've only done 6 reps? It bugs me when this happens, feels kind of a waste of a gym sesh so I just get the other 9 reps out (to make 3x5) in however many sets it takes me, then try to get 5,5,5 next time..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.