Turn on thread page Beta

Absolutely awful session. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirin?)
    I agree to an extent, I don't think its awful for size gain intention, I just don't think it is optimal. But for what it is, it is intended to get you as strong as possible as quickly as possible. But for bench, i really don't think it works very well for strength gains either once you get past a certain point (i.e. once you are past the initial newb phase).

For squats and deadlifts, it is very damn good though. I just want to get all the strength I can get from it then run the **** away from it to something else.
    Just wondering what are you gonna do to start benching more, because I'm pretty much having the same problem as you, considering benching every workout..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Do loads of triples at 92.5kg/95kg/97.5kg. Go for like 20-30 reps in total then add 2.5kg next session. Might wanna start at 90kg actually. In a few sessions you'll get a hundred no problem!
    Cheers will try it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    Just wondering what are you gonna do to start benching more, because I'm pretty much having the same problem as you, considering benching every workout..?
    I am going to bench twice a week, and do 5x5 instead of 3x5. My bench has gone past the newb gains stage way quicker than my squat/deadlift has, I have hit a wall.

I mean, I got onto 50kg bench at the start of November (albeit with very bad form which I have since corrected) and I am still struggling to get onto 60kg. So, something has to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Are you eating enough food?

How is sleep?

Do you take caffeine pre - workout? Always an option.

Are you enjoying following this routine? No point trying to spin your wheels if you're not totally motivated to train. Could always change to something else or take a few days off, deload and ramp up again.

Source?
    Cba to find a source but it's basic common sense. As long as your stimulating the muscle, the amount of weight lifted doesn't make a difference. Therefore doing 8-12 reps with 25kg dumbells and stimulating your muscle fibers is exactly the same as doing 8-12 reps with 50kg dumbells. The only difference is the resistance from your muscles at that desired weight. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference what weight.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Are you getting enough rest to recover? Do you need a rest week? Most importantly are you lifting properly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Cba to find a source but it's basic common sense. As long as your stimulating the muscle, the amount of weight lifted doesn't make a difference. Therefore doing 8-12 reps with 25kg dumbells and stimulating yohttp://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/categories-of-weight-training-part-2.htmlur muscle fibers is exactly the same as doing 8-12 reps with 50kg dumbells. The only difference is the resistance from your muscles at that desired weight. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference what weight.
    That's not true at all. Unless you're juicing.

If you able to rep 50 kg 5-8 times (which is approx. 80-85% of your maximum), you'll be recruiting all muscles fibres from the first rep. However, 25kg would probably be 40% of your maximum, you might be able to rep more, but all fibres (especially the ones optimal for growth) won't be recruited until the few latter reps.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ng-part-2.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ng-part-3.html
    http://65.181.182.145/training/perio...rs-part-2.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ng-part-7.html

ReputationRep:
    you guys are so lucky being able to use a gym to lift all confidently i'd love to but all the blokes would be "hey honey, the treadmill's thatta way":P built all the muscle i have without equipment

ReputationRep:
    Cba to find a source but it's basic common sense. As long as your stimulating the muscle, the amount of weight lifted doesn't make a difference. Therefore doing 8-12 reps with 25kg dumbells and stimulating your muscle fibers is exactly the same as doing 8-12 reps with 50kg dumbells. The only difference is the resistance from your muscles at that desired weight. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference what weight.
    I would have thought basic common sense works against the logic you are proposing. If lifters in general don't move up weights in a specific rep range then how do they get big? Synthol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    Even if you get like 3,2,1 say, so you've only done 6 reps? It bugs me when this happens, feels kind of a waste of a gym sesh so I just get the other 9 reps out (to make 3x5 in however many sets it takes me, then try to get 5,5,5 next time..
    Tbh you could do that but it would take too long imo, especially if you only got 321 and then you have to rep out 9 singles to make 3x5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaEmBee)
    you guys are so lucky being able to use a gym to lift all confidently i'd love to but all the blokes would be "hey honey, the treadmill's thatta way":P built all the muscle i have without equipment
    Just so you know, I've never experienced that in the gym. But if you do, you have to ignore them, because it's none of your business, and you have just as much right to be there as anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    That's not true at all. Unless you're juicing.

If you able to rep 50 kg 5-8 times (which is approx. 80-85% of your maximum), you'll be recruiting all muscles fibres from the first rep. However, 25kg would probably be 40% of your maximum, you might be able to rep more, but all fibres (especially the ones optimal for growth) won't be recruited until the few latter reps.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ng-part-2.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ng-part-3.html
    http://65.181.182.145/training/perio...rs-part-2.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ng-part-7.html

(Original post by tooosh)
    I would have thought basic common sense works against the logic you are proposing. If lifters in general don't move up weights in a specific rep range then how do they get big? Synthol?
    You're not understanding what I'm saying. It's relative to strength... You don't have to be strong to grow. As long as you recruit muscle fibers and you lift what is YOUR maximum between 8-12 reps. 40% of 1RM wasn't what I was on about at all. If that 25kg is 80% of someones one rep max on that specific lift, the muscle fibers that they're recruiting are exactly the same as someone whos lifting 50kg which may be 80% of their one rep max. It's relative to strength. As long as your working hard, and your pushing yourself, what weight you lift is only an ego boost.

ReputationRep:
    You're not understanding what I'm saying. It's relative to strength... You don't have to be strong to grow. As long as you recruit muscle fibers and you lift what is YOUR maximum between 8-12 reps. 40% of 1RM wasn't what I was on about at all. If that 25kg is 80% of someones one rep max on that specific lift, the muscle fibers that they're recruiting are exactly the same as someone whos lifting 50kg which may be 80% of their one rep max. It's relative to strength. As long as your working hard, and your pushing yourself, what weight you lift is only an ego boost.
    Oh right, it seemed like you were dismissing the weight completely. You are right in a way, but you will still gain some size on 5 reps - just not as much as 8-12.

ReputationRep:
    But the goal is to get stronger no? So your 80% of 1rm eventually increases and you're providing a new stimulus.

Your original point that there is no point in a bodybuilder "strength" training (which I'm guessing you're alluding to reps <6) doesn't hold water too.

ReputationRep:
    But the goal is to get stronger no? So your 80% of 1rm eventually increases and you're providing a new stimulus.

Your original point that there is no point in a bodybuilder "strength" training (which I'm guessing you're alluding to reps <6) doesn't hold water too.
    Yes, you'll eventually increase your strength.

How on earth doesn't it hold water. What's the point? Why do it? As long as your providing a growth stimulus your fine. There's no point in a bodybuilder focusing on strength. It serves no purpose considering their main focus is to grow..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'll eventually increase your strength.

How on earth doesn't it hold water. What's the point? Why do it? As long as your providing a growth stimulus your fine. There's no point in a bodybuilder focusing on strength. It serves no purpose considering their main focus is to grow..
    Periodization for Bodybuilders: Part 2

Pure strength training

The key thing to realize is that strength production is a combination of both muscular and neurological factors: a variety of neural adaptations takes place in response to pure strength training that increases strength output without making people bigger. I know that there is a long-held belief that there is an absolute relationship between strength and size but it’s not that simple: athletes like power- and Olympic lifters increase strength without getting any bigger all the time and they do it by maximizing neural factors.
    Now, I suspect that most bodybuilders could give the first **** about being strong, the sport is all about being big and freaky. But I will argue that improving the neural components of strength will help you get even bigger in the long run. The reason, actually, is fairly simple.

Stimulating myofibrillar growth means imposing some combination of tension, fatigue and damage components onto muscle fibers (stimulating sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is more about fatigue and energy depletion than tension per se). By improving strength in low rep ranges with pure strength training, bodybuilders can use more weight in higher rep ranges. This means more tension, more damage and more ultimate growth. It’s also nice to actually be as strong as you look: too many big but ultimately weak bodybuilders walking around out there in my opinion.
    Read the links I posted.

ReputationRep:
    Periodization for Bodybuilders: Part 2

Read the links I posted.
    Interesting, but I still fail to see the point. Your muscles don't know what weight they are lifting, therefore I fail to see how if you 1rm is slightly higher; what difference that will make. I really can't.

To each their own, but I really don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think you should give us blokes a chance. I've only seen a couple of women doing what I would call proper resistance training (none of this curling 2kg thousands of times for 'toning') but I had respect for them.

Go and lift to your heart's content, I'm sure the men will have nothing but respect for you.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, but I still fail to see the point. Your muscles don't know what weight they are lifting, therefore I fail to see how if you 1rm is slightly higher; what difference that will make. I really can't.

To each their own, but I really don't see the point.
    If your 1RM doesn't increase then how are you going to provide more stimulus for muscle growth in any given rep count...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    If your 1RM doesn't increase then how are you going to provide more stimulus for muscle growth in any given rep count...?
    Are you not reading what I'm saying. I agree that strength increases however it does so gradually when you are doing 8-12 reps. What I'm saying is that if your goal is size; there is no need to train for strength.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be arsed reading what's been said since I last posted but in case someone else hasn't said it yet: also could try smaller increments. If need be get yourself 4 (or 2) 0.25kgs if your gym doesn't have them already. And try adding 1kg instead of 2.5 or even 0.5kg. Less exciting but it adds up and can help bust a platuea

Plates shouldn't cost much, like here: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weigh...nal-plate.html
    FWIW never heard or seen anything like that on my gym.

Most of the properly big and strong guys are really sound and I have seen one of them telling the bros to stop being dicks before over other stuff. Personally I'd say something too if a guy was being like that and the woman obviously wasn't going to say something for herself

Also I'm a 5ft4 guy who weighed 57kg when I started lifting so I was tiny compared to the average guy, let alone the average guy in the weights room. It was pretty intimidating. But you get over it. I'm sure it's a bit different for women but I think the majority of people are a bit intimidated the first few times

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.