Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travel blogs - your favourites Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I keep seeing loads of questions about certain destinations on here, and just thought I'd share some really useful travel blogs with you. I'm always looking for new ones to read, so if anyone wants to post ones that they find useful please do

http://www.adventurouskate.com/ - amazing solo female travel blog. Great pieces on SE Asia and Europe.

http://thetravelhack.com/ - some unusual and fun destinations.

http://globetrottergirls.com/ - have been EVERYWHERE. Great breakdowns on spending/costs and really nice foodie posts.

Do any of you have your own travel blogs? I'd like to read them
    http://gallivantinggeorgia.com/ (my blog - I'd love some feedback - I've only just started though, so it's a bit low on content right now)

ReputationRep:
    How do you find the time and money to travel so much? I see you're doing journalism so is it part of your job/training?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zepploydath)
    How do you find the time and money to travel so much? I see you're doing journalism so is it part of your job/training?
    Oh I wish! I went to Australia in 2009, which was my first big trip. I was quite lucky that I had relatives there, which cut down accommodation costs a lot. I got bitten by the travel bug out there, and when I got back I started looking for cheap flights to cheap destinations.
    I booked a flight to Krakow today - the flight was £40 return, and the hostel I'm staying at is only £10 a night, with food included. The trip shouldn't cost more than £120 all around.

I normally only go for quick breaks. 3-4 days during term time/holidays, and then go on longer backpacking trips in the summer holidays.

Asia was about £1,200 for 2 months, which is really quite cheap for longer term travel.

I fund it through a mix of a part-time job (and I'm not well paid) and savings. I don't really spend money on going out or have any other huge expenses, I'd much rather spend it on travel.

I'm planning on putting up a few posts soon on how to travel to where I've been on the cheap, hopefully that'll be helpful to some people

ReputationRep:
    Great blogs so far. I have started a blog myself back in February. It's mostly photography based but there are posts ranging from India, Thailand, Europe and Costa Rica

Check it out if you have time: www.traveling-camera.com

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like reading travel blogs and just had a scan through some of yours there and it's good!

I always said I was going to start when I worked a summer abroad but never did... I'm not very technical so wouldn't even know where to start lol

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy wanderingearl.com Not gonna win any awards for writing, but he has some great stories from his 13+ years of travel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    I enjoy wanderingearl.com Not gonna win any awards for writing, but he has some great stories from his 13+ years of travel!
    Another fave of mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    I like reading travel blogs and just had a scan through some of yours there and it's good!

I always said I was going to start when I worked a summer abroad but never did... I'm not very technical so wouldn't even know where to start lol
    Wordpress do some great (free) templates - really simple to set up!
    Where did you go on your summer abroad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabi_camera)
    Great blogs so far. I have started a blog myself back in February. It's mostly photography based but there are posts ranging from India, Thailand, Europe and Costa Rica

Check it out if you have time: www.traveling-camera.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!
    Great pictures, you have skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gee_shakedown)
    Wordpress do some great (free) templates - really simple to set up!
    Where did you go on your summer abroad?
    Thanks, I was in turkey for a summer working for Thomas cook
    I go abroad every year as well as places in the uk. Always read other travel blogs to find out decent places to go that are off the beaten track

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)

Another fave of mine
    Yeahh, and he seems like a really nice guy

ReputationRep:
    Trip advisor forums

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Great pictures, you have skills
    Haha thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.