zerohero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Just need the lowdown, it seems to be very "hated" (in a nice way) for some strange reason, reading some of the threads on the forums. Why is that?
alex-hs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not really hated (except maybe by Sherwood because they're right next door). It's just hall rivalry and banter. Banter is important
dunkymunky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
From what I can tell, its spawned from Rutland somehow 'Cheating in Karni one year, I think thats where its from. Note:This is not my opinion, and it may not even be true, its just what I heard when I asked last year when I was a fresher
alex-hs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Actually, they started Karni and have apparently only ever been beaten 3 times. It's probably to do with this. They did cheat a couple of years ago though, by writing loads of cheques which bounced after the final totals had been calculated.
The Regend
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*sings* Rutland take it up the arse... doo dah, do dah...

Haha, I think that one spawned from Rutland being the last hall to go mixed sex. It was all male until pretty recently. Great banter though!!
smileymedic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah everyone *hates* them for cheating at karni, and probs because they usually win. Sherwood particularly hate them, but theres always extra rivalry with your neighbouring hall. Its all good fun though, i think people in Rutland actually quite enjoy it (taking it up the arse i mean!) hehehe
Freeway
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Regend)
*sings* Rutland take it up the arse... doo dah, do dah...

Haha, I think that one spawned from Rutland being the last hall to go mixed sex. It was all male until pretty recently. Great banter though!!
Actually thats wrong, we became mixed before quite a few halls
Candino
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmm can we get a list of wat halls have rivalries with wat other hall, or any stories... if not this thread is kinda useless haha...
Ollie87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We're hated because we win everything. I love the abuse - everyone would rather sing about Rutland than their own hall. All the hall rivalry stuff dies out after Karni ends, though.
Anathema
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its mostly Karni. Rutland live for karni and WE BEAT THEM!!

they also cheated by getting old-rutlanders who are now very rich to write large cheques for them, its still fundraising to some degree, but the money was only so they would win karni, and not fair.

GUTTED RUTLAND, SHERWOOD VICTORIOUS!

the most hall rivalry is between Sherwood and Rutland really, its a great way to bring halls together at the start of the year,

but have to say being woken up at least once a week by rutlanders setting off the fire alarm in my block wasnt too fun in first term, i was getting bout 4 hours sleep a night. there was revenge though, of course.

its all fun. rutlanders love it, theyre probably the most united and patriotic hall. (along with sherwood of course)
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Rutland thing did indeed start because of it's single sex status.

Everything else has happened since, especially the cheating at, and then being beaten at Karni.
Anathema
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
myabe true, but they wernt the very last to go mixed sex, that was HuStu
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hall rivalry is heightened between nabouring halls, so HuStu and Cripps don't particularly like eachother. Although saying this, there hasn't been much invading of eachother's halls - although we still don't know who ripped up our post.....
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Anathema)
myabe true, but they wernt the very last to go mixed sex, that was HuStu
Never said Rutland were the last, and Hu Stu went mixed in 2000, the same year as Cripps, FB and Nightingale.
RachelBabyfrog
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Rutland has been mixed at least since the seventies.

It is all good banter. It's always fun to join in with the choruses of Rutland Take It... on Fridays and Saturdays when the C14ers are out in force! As people tend to be getting drunk by Rutland, they often get confused when we join in
Fa|ique
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mousey)
hall rivalry is heightened between nabouring halls, so HuStu and Cripps don't particularly like eachother. Although saying this, there hasn't been much invading of eachother's halls - although we still don't know who ripped up our post.....
Your post got ripped?
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
indeed it did. Our post was ripped in two by someone, and some things have been stolen in hall. It's all a bit sad really but the people in charge are doing what they can to stop it. The worst thing is it might not actually be people from other halls, but from our own. xx
Vickstar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
haha, i know who stole hustu's sign. and where abouts it is
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What sign? xx
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The sign that was outside the Hall entrance, where everyone gets thei pizzas. It was someone from Lenton, I'm sure. I heard someone from thet inferior little hall had it in their room a couple of weeks after it was stolen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads