Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Braces - Am I entitled to have them on again? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically when I was in year 8/9 I had braces put on on the NHS because I had REALLY wonky teeth. Had them on for about 12-14 months I think, got them taken off and had a plastic retainer given to me for my top and bottoms.
    I used my retainers for a while then stopped using them as much, like tried to wean my teeth off them if that makes sense? Cos your not supposed to have to use them for the rest of your life are you!?
    Few years on my bottom teeth have pretty much all moved back and my bottom retainer doesn't even go on anymore. My top teeth are still straight ish, but they're moving slowly back to (my retainer still fits but my teeth kill everytime i use them because theyre being forced back into place).
    Would I still be entitled to free braces without having to go private and spend like 3grand?
    Thankssss!

ReputationRep:
    How old are you now? The likelihood is no, you wouldn't be entitled to free braces.
    As someone who had them for 5 years, when I had mine off at 16 the last thing I was going to do was let all the hard work and cost go to waste.

At 23 I still wear my retainer. The idea is that you wear it to keep them straight. I think you can reduce the frequency of how often you wear it once you've stopped growing. I only wear mine very rarely, like every few months, and it still fits, although it is tight. I had a few new ones made along the way due to it breaking or not fitting my teeth so well.

I think you need to be willing to cough up a couple of thousand pounds. I'm not sure if you didn't wear your retainer due to your dentists ill advice or due to your own stupidity, but either way, I doubt you will get a second free chance!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah to be honest I don't think i'll be allowed and i'm 17.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you would be, private's the only way to go if you really want them straightening again.

You're right, you're not expected to wear them forever, but it's supposed to be a long time before you wean yourself off them. I'd say 10 years, safely. It's always worth asking though I suppose, although orthodontists hate people like you, thhe way they see it, why waste all that time, pain and NHS money to go back to what you started with? So probably not.

ReputationRep:
    LOL why on earth would you be entitled to free braces again? You should have worn your retainer.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't think you would be able to. The criteria for getting braces free nowadays is getting even harder to meet, especially since you've had them before. I can imagine they'd say that you should have just carried on wearing your retainer every night as after getting braces your teeth are never going to stay completely straight as they're constantly moving unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely. Braces are quite an expensive treatment and that is why they tell you to wear your retainer. The NHS isn't a bottomless pit of money, I suppose you'll either have to pay a couple of grand to have them on again or get used to your teeth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.