Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vaccinations before we start or after? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    just curious as to whether we have to get vaccinations before we start medical school or when we are there? i have an offer at manchester and the website or info they gave me doesnt actually say! the health form has tick boxes as to whether weve been vaccinated for a lot of things but doesnt say if we need to go and get them done? hopefully someone can answer, probably different for different medical schools though.

ReputationRep:
    They should tell you if you need to have certain things done before arriving - most places want you to have had your hep B vaccination course done before you start, but they would normally tell you exactly what was needed. If you're not sure, call/e-mail occupational health during the week and double check exactly what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They should tell you if you need to have certain things done before arriving - most places want you to have had your hep B vaccination course done before you start, but they would normally tell you exactly what was needed. If you're not sure, call/e-mail occupational health during the week and double check exactly what they want.
    thanks, i assumed manchester would tell me what needed to be done but all theyve done is sent offer letter and said accomodation pack will be soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1994D)
    thanks, i assumed manchester would tell me what needed to be done but all theyve done is sent offer letter and said accomodation pack will be soon
    They may wait until after you've formally accepted the offer through UCAS before sending more.

ReputationRep:
    We had ours done a few weeks after we started at the occupational health dept of our main teaching hospital. They'll definitely let you know, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    We had ours done a few weeks after we started at the occupational health dept of our main teaching hospital. They'll definitely let you know, don't worry.
    Which medical school do you go to? Sorry to be ignorant

ReputationRep:
    The medical school will sorry you out. I was on a gap year and so went to my GP and requested the vaccinations before I started (as I was going to travel as well)

I wouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    The medical school will sorry you out. I was on a gap year and so went to my GP and requested the vaccinations before I started (as I was going to travel as well)

I wouldn't worry
    Did you have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Did you have to pay?
    Depends on the GP, a nurse gave mine for free but a friend had to pay for hers - so it depends entirely on them.

Hope that helps
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you can get it done by your GP for free then you might as well get started at least beforehand, if not then usually occupational health will get it done after you start.

Obviously can't speak for all med schools but I'm 1/3rd of the way through my second year at BL and only recently got my vaccinations and EPP clearance

ReputationRep:
    Most of us on my course had our Hep B jabs (well, 2/3 so far) once we started. Some people also had their TB jabs amongst other vaccinations. I think unless the university specifies that you have to get them done before you arrive then you shouldn't worry about it, they'll sort you out (unless you want to get a head start before starting).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.