Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys I keep on trying to stop fapping... keep failing I guess if I post here I may find it easier.... any trips are welcome

ReputationRep:
    Half way through day 8. I seem to have flatlined. I haven't noticed any particular benefits or downsides so far.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Very idiotic and childish thinking to say that simply because I disagree with this I must not be able to fathom doing it myself.

I wasn't ridiculing it because it is not as challenging as other things, I was ridiculing it because there are plenty of other challenges out there and it is simply hilarious to pick Man's most innate instinct to deprive yourself of in the interests of character building when you could turn to 1001 other things. It is unnecessary and almost masochistic.
    Man's most innate instinct is the best choice for a test of will power. I think it seems hilarious to you because it appears purely absurd in the face of no reason to do it other than to see if one can. If this challenge was easily rationalised to me, it would not be nearly so difficult; all I would need was a conviction to do what was rational, rather than a conviction towards abstract ideals. Well, I don't want my life to be left at the beck and call of irrational biological disposition; I want to direct my energies towards meaningful pursuits, and if that means asceticism, so be it, and I would be the better person for it.

Aristotle said, "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies." I hold the reins in my life, not my id.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Man's most innate instinct is the best choice for a test of will power. I think it seems hilarious to you because it appears purely absurd in the face of no reason to do it other than to see if one can. If this challenge was easily rationalised to me, it would not be nearly so difficult; all I would need was a conviction to do what was rational, rather than a conviction towards abstract ideals. Well, I don't want my life to be left at the beck and call of irrational biological disposition; I want to direct my energies towards meaningful pursuits, and if that means asceticism, so be it, and I would be the better person for it.

Aristotle said, "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies." I hold the reins in my life, not my id.
    My point is that sex drive is an innate instinct which no amount of ascetism will be able to 'conquer', so Aristotle's maxim will not be fulfiled by this task. Not only that, but I personally don't understand why you are targeting the sex drive when you could target so many other things - take your pick of the Seven Deadly Sins. It just seems unnecessarily self-punishing as sex is so core to our species.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    My point is that sex drive is an innate instinct which no amount of ascetism will be able to 'conquer', so Aristotle's maxim will not be fulfiled by this task. Not only that, but I personally don't understand why you are targeting the sex drive when you could target so many other things - take your pick of the Seven Deadly Sins. It just seems unnecessarily self-punishing as sex is so core to our species.
    It won't get rid of the desire, if that's what you mean - if I thought that then you'd be quite right and this would be a fool's errand. I do target the others; this is just the latest one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    It won't get rid of the desire, if that's what you mean - if I thought that then you'd be quite right and this would be a fool's errand. I do target the others; this is just the latest one.
    In that case I don't see the relevance of Aristotle's quotation, or the integrity of swearing not to live in your Id, when sex drive will always flicker in you and therefore part of you always exist in the Id
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    In that case I don't see the relevance of Aristotle's quotation, or the integrity of swearing not to live in your Id, when sex drive will always flicker in you and therefore part of you always exist in the Id
    Because the temptation isn't what's important - one's actions are what matters. To conquer one's desires is simply to be well-practised at ignoring them, which remains an achievable goal with worthwhile consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Because the temptation isn't what's important - one's actions are what matters. To conquer one's desires is simply to be well-practised at ignoring them, which remains an achievable goal with worthwhile consequences.
    Are you suggesting that you weren't able to deny yourself sexual pleasure before embarking on this epic ascetic quest? Unless you're some kind of sex addict (making this Sex addicts Anonymous) I really don't see what discernible benefit this will bring you in everyday life
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Are you suggesting that you weren't able to deny yourself sexual pleasure before embarking on this epic ascetic quest? Unless you're some kind of sex addict (making this Sex addicts Anonymous) I really don't see what discernible benefit this will bring you in everyday life
    Not with consistency. If I could have, then this challenge would be easy, would it not? From your comments I get the impression that you don't think the challenge is easy, or at least that you don't believe it easy for the average person (whom we consider not to be sex addicts).

My only reason to do this is that it is difficult and requires self-control; it is not about masturbation specifically. A life that develops self-control allows one to live a life that is demanding of it, and in this way opens possibilities for achievement that would otherwise remain barred, if not altogether hidden to a person.

ReputationRep:
    Don't misunderstand we don't want to supress our libidos, we want to harness and focus that desire for other things.

The desire for sex is the most innate and primitive desire of all. Abstaining from ejaculation allows you to redirect your powerful "sexual energy" (think of it as sexual desire) to whatever goals you have making them easier to accomplish and abstaining also increases productivity, strength and motivation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting again. I will explain later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sai4)
    Don't misunderstand we don't want to supress our libidos, we want to harness and focus that desire for other things.

The desire for sex is the most innate and primitive desire of all. Abstaining from ejaculation allows you to redirect your powerful "sexual energy" (think of it as sexual desire) to whatever goals you have making them easier to accomplish and abstaining also increases productivity, strength and motivation.
    I'm sure the motives differ from person to person, but yours are not coherent. By refraining from sex I imagine your sex drive will only increase, and it will be harder to focus on other things as you will have a constant stream of naked ladies passing through your mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the motives differ from person to person, but yours are not coherent. By refraining from sex I imagine your sex drive will only increase, and it will be harder to focus on other things as you will have a constant stream of naked ladies passing through your mind.
    I've almost completed 2 weeks without a single lustful thought. I've also seen impovements in my confidence, abilities and especially my energy levels, seriously its like I have a spare energy reserve within me to draw strength from, and I hardly ever feel tired or unmotivated now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sai4)
    I've almost completed 2 weeks without a single lustful thought. I've also seen impovements in my confidence, abilities and especially my energy levels, seriously its like I have a spare energy reserve within me to draw strength from, and I hardly ever feel tired or unmotivated now.
    Either some serious bull****ting going on here or you're a super hero whose abilities are utilised when he has a certain amount of seminal fluid resident in his prostate

ReputationRep:
    Either some serious bull****ting going on here or you're a super hero whose abilities are utilised when he has a certain amount of seminal fluid resident in his prostate
    Like I told you, Im using focusing my energy on other purposes and so far it appears to be working, it could even be a placebo, but I have definitely been able to accomplish more than before, I feel more confident and I feel great.

U mad?

ReputationRep:
    It is actually known that abstaining can increase testosterone levels (sometimes up to %140, at least in the short term such as this). That could possibly explain increased confidence and energy levels.

ReputationRep:
    8 days in. Been having a ton of huge testosterone spikes, found it hard to get to sleep last night because I was trying to suppress an urge :/

ReputationRep:
    Day 3

My energy is up a little, and girls seem more attractive and easier to talk to

ReputationRep:
    I am starting today. I've already tried it plenty of times but the longest I went... Was 7 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sannn)
    8 days in. Been having a ton of huge testosterone spikes, found it hard to get to sleep last night because I was trying to suppress an urge :/
    (Original post by Fenrirs_space)
    x
    Perhaps confidence and energy levels are improved, but as for focus, without with such energy levels are useless when applied to other pursuits, there is a mountain of anecdotal evidence in this thread that it is negatively affected by No Fap

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.