Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ****. Look, I want to join NoFap 2013. I tried by myself from Saturday and I only lasted until Yesterday. Basically, I need accountability and scrutiny from people on the internet. Please, go ahead a put my on the list.

"No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women, no fun, no sin, no wonder it's dark." - The Vapors.

Believe me, it felt so good when I didn't fap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hessajee)
    I guess you need to work out for yourself that if you do not want to have sex until you are married, then why would you want to go into Ann Summers, buy whatever you want and indulge in masturbation instead?

Was the self restraint only from sex during that time period?
    initially, but then it turned into no masturbation too. Except I always failed at it. i can't work out whether it's a good thing I'm doing or not, because like so many people have said here, it feels good at the time but then afterwards you feel so lonely and depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Yep!

Everyone, I need some advice! Might aswell start trying to figure this out. On Friday, I'll be going in to town to hand in my essays. All 12,000 words of them. To say I will feel victorious afterwards will be an understatement. This is where it gets slightly cringey. Last May, I decided to throw out my only toy that I had. This was when I wanted to start doing this. I thought it was my only way because I could never bring myself to orgasm just by myself. But I guess I must have erm learnt to. HOW do I refrain from going into Ann Summers afterwards :confused:

Also, that night I will be going to this small concert thing, with this guy that I met at the previous concert the band did. We've been texting ever since, so basically I would also like some sort of advice that can pop into my head in big bold red flashing letters, should the opportunity arise.

THANKS.
    I remember you said you decided not to have sex again unti you're married. It's only fair to tell the guy this very early in the relationship unless you already have, to avoid any misunderstandings and arguments.

Well done in binning your toy. I did the same when I signed up for this challenge. That didn't stop me from having one fail, but I restarted and am determined to get through the year without once touching my clit. Having said that, I'm not into the no sex before marriage thing and have a boyfriend who knows exactly how to please me .

So I know it's a lot harder for you than me in a way, though maybe it is easier because maybe total abstinence makes your sex drive drop off, whereas I get a weekend every 3-4 weeks of maximum pleasure then have to hold it in until the next time .

Re the strumming, if you're avoiding sex before marriage, maybe try thinking of your clit as something special you're keeping for your future husband. I'm thinking of mine in a similar way, as a toy for my boyfriend to play with, that I'm looking after for him until we're together again at the weekend :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    initially, but then it turned into no masturbation too. Except I always failed at it. i can't work out whether it's a good thing I'm doing or not, because like so many people have said here, it feels good at the time but then afterwards you feel so lonely and depressed.
    I think orgasms are a bit like drugs that give you a high or relax you. They make you feel great at first, but after a while the way they make you feel is normal and when you don't have them makes you feel sad or paranoid. So yes from a spiritual purity and inner contentment angle I can see why people benefit from cutting them out of their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I see why people have stopped and i have stopped for periods of a few months but always ended up busting again haha.
    Yeh man i think i do it enough so I'm gona try do this for ever hopefully. I think wet dreams always help, when you remember them anyway lol.
    good luck to everyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieMM)
    I remember you said you decided not to have sex again unti you're married. It's only fair to tell the guy this very early in the relationship unless you already have, to avoid any misunderstandings and arguments.

Well done in binning your toy. I did the same when I signed up for this challenge. That didn't stop me from having one fail, but I restarted and am determined to get through the year without once touching my clit. Having said that, I'm not into the no sex before marriage thing and have a boyfriend who knows exactly how to please me .

So I know it's a lot harder for you than me in a way, though maybe it is easier because maybe total abstinence makes your sex drive drop off, whereas I get a weekend every 3-4 weeks of maximum pleasure then have to hold it in until the next time .

Re the strumming, if you're avoiding sex before marriage, maybe try thinking of your clit as something special you're keeping for your future husband. I'm thinking of mine in a similar way, as a toy for my boyfriend to play with, that I'm looking after for him until we're together again at the weekend :rolleyes:

I think orgasms are a bit like drugs that give you a high or relax you. They make you feel great at first, but after a while the way they make you feel is normal and when you don't have them makes you feel sad or paranoid. So yes from a spiritual purity and inner contentment angle I can see why people benefit from cutting them out of their lives.
    Thanks for this advice I genuinely think when you are stressed, your judgement gets clouded and you can't think straight, hence why I gave in today I'm not in a relationship with him, I've only met him once, but I'm just terrified that I'll let my physical feelings override me, when I shouldn't. Grr... I've got a lot of thinking to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this advice I genuinely think when you are stressed, your judgement gets clouded and you can't think straight, hence why I gave in today I'm not in a relationship with him, I've only met him once, but I'm just terrified that I'll let my physical feelings override me, when I shouldn't. Grr... I've got a lot of thinking to do.
    You shouldn't be listening to this egregious advice, there's is no shame in masturbating. It is perfectly healthy, denying yourself enjoyment for no legitimate reason other than unrequited shame leading to repressed urges is not healthy.

This thread is like a cult trying to convert people.

ReputationRep:

You need professional help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slothsftws)
    You need professional help.
    Why would you suggest that?

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be listening to this egregious advice, there's is no shame in masturbating. It is perfectly healthy, denying yourself enjoyment for no legitimate reason other than unrequited shame leading to repressed urges is not healthy.

This thread is like a cult trying to convert people.
    It's hilarious that this annoys you so much :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gramar Nazi)
    It's hilarious that this annoys you so much :lol:
    Trying to convince others to repress themselves sexually isn't annoying, it is pathetic and ultimately useless thanks to biology.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Trying to convince others to repress themselves sexually isn't annoying, it is pathetic and ultimately useless thanks to biology.
    If conquering one's desires is pathetic I guess that makes me the most pathetic guy for miles cause I'm gonna conquer the **** out of them.

ReputationRep:
    I think guys can benefit a lot more from fapstinence than girls possibly could. Regardless, everyone has their own reasons, if you don't find it beneficial then don't do it, it's that simple. I've found it beneficial and so that's why I like to encourage people to at least try it.

For me, a big motivator is that I'll enjoy sex a hell of a lot more if I don't fap daily. If you're not giving yourself stimulation on a regular basis, it will obviously feel loads better when you have sex. Also, a lot of guys (myself included) find it difficult to stay hard with a condom on, it really numbs the feeling. Being a lot more sensitive to touch will make that no longer an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Merely abstaining from masturbation is not sexual repression my dear Sloth.

The thing is, many, many people have reported numerous positive results from abstaining. Why can't you accept the fact that people want to give this a try?

I will happily trade pathetically sitting in my room touching up my penis to pixels for better confidence, better speech, less lethargy etc etc. Even if I don't achieve even one of these things, I will know that I am no longer wasting my time on something that has never brought me any benefit and spend the time on something constructive.

ReputationRep:
    Merely abstaining from masturbation is not sexual repression my dear Sloth.
    Well then it is god job my comment was in the context of someone who isn't having sex until marriage.:rolleyes:

The thing is, many, many people have reported numerous positive results from abstaining. Why can't you accept the fact that people want to give this a try?

I will happily trade pathetically sitting in my room touching up my penis to pixels for better confidence, better speech, less lethargy etc etc. Even if I don't achieve even one of these things, I will know that I am no longer wasting my time on something that has never brought me any benefit and spend the time on something constructive.
    These judgemental, pious, anecdotal lies are what bother me.

Not masturbating doesn't improve confidence, speech or activity that is just you being delusional. These are in no way proven, however the benefits of masturbate being healthy are proven.

As for complete repression of sex:
    Possible physical effects

See also: Sexual intercourse#Benefits
    Sexual abstinence diminishes the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases but prevents one from obtaining the health benefits of sex.
    Queens University in Belfast tracked the mortality of about 1,000 middle-aged men over the course of a decade. The study, published in 1997 in the British Medical Journal found that "men who reported the highest frequency of orgasm enjoyed a death rate half that of the laggards". The report also cited other studies to show that having sex even a few times a week may be associated with the following: improved sense of smell; reduced risk of heart disease; weight loss and overall fitness; reduced depression; the relief or lessening of pain; less frequent colds and flu; better bladder control; and better teeth. The report cited a study published by the British Journal of Urology International which indicated that men in their 20s can reduce by a third their chance of getting prostate cancer by ejaculating more than five times a week.[3]
    [edit]Possible psychological effects

There have been numerous studies indicating that excessive repression of the sexual instinct leads to an increase in the overall level of aggression in a given society. Societies forbidding premarital sex are plagued by acts of rage and tend to have higher rates of crime and violence.[4] There may be a link between sexual repression and aggression, insensitivity, criminal behaviour, and a greater likelihood of killing and torturing enemies.[4]

ReputationRep:
    Well then it is god job my comment was in the context of someone who isn't having sex until marriage.:rolleyes:

These jud, pious, anecdotal lies are what bother me.

Not masturbating doesn't improve confidence, speech or activity that is just you being delusional. These are in no way proven, however the benefits of masturbate being healthy are proven.

Possible physical effes

Sexual abstinence diminishes the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases but prevents one from obtaining the health benefits of sex.
    Queens University in Belfast tracked the mortality of about 1,000 middle-aged men over the course of a decade. The study, published in 1997 in the British Medical Journal found that "men who reported the highest frequency of orgasm enjoyed a death rate half that of the laggards". The report also cited other studies to show that having sex even a few times a week may be associated with the following: improved sense of smell; reduced risk of heart disease; weight loss and overall fitness; reduced depression; the relief or lessening of pain; less frequent colds and flu; better bladder control; and better teeth. The report cited a study published by the British Journal of Urology International which indicated that men in their 20s can reduce by a third their chance of getting prostate cancer by ejaculating more than five times a week.[3]

There have been numerous studies indicating that excessive repression of the sexual instinct leads to an increase in the overall level of aggression in a given society. Societies forbidding premarital sex are plagued by acts of rage and tend to have higher rates of crime and violence.[4] There may be a link between sexual repression and aggression, insensitivity, criminal behaviour, and a greater likelihood of killing and torturing enemies.[4]

Of course they haven't been proven, there's hardly been any research into it. And I'm not saying that abstaining (from masturbation that is) is the cause and definitely will be the reason I might experience those things, it's that many, many people have experienced them after abstaining from masturbation. So I want to try it out to see if it works, there's nothing wrong with that.

As for the study, this is not a complete abstention, only masturbation.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they haven't been proven, there's hardly been any research into it. And I'm not saying that abstaining (from masturbation that is) is the cause and definitely will be the reason I might experience those things, it's that many, many people have experienced them after abstaining from masturbation. So I want to try it out to see if it works, there's nothing wrong with that.

As for the study, this is not a complete abstention, only masturbation.
    But my comment was applied to complete abstention until marriage. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

These judgemental, pious, anecdotal lies are what bother me.

Possible physical effects

How can you possibly say with any certainty that fapstinence can't increase confidence or improve speech? You don't need a scientifically conducted study to see results for yourself. I feel more confident, tons of other people abstaining have increased confidence. I've read several instances where people have purportedly noticed that they stutter less or not at all compared to usual.

Why you are so determined to refute any possible claimed benefits? Is it because you love masturbation too much to even consider that not masturbating might actually be good for you? Oh, and sexual repression due to religion/strict parents/morals forced upon you is way different to choosing fapstinence by yourself. The aggression is most likely acting out due to being forced to behave a certain way.

ReputationRep:
    But my comment was applied to complete abstention until marriage. :rolleyes:
    My comment to you was a general one due to the fact that you've been lurking in this thread for a while, even making a thread against nofap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    How can you possibly say with any certainty that fapstinence can't increase confidence or improve speech? You don't need a scientifically conducted study to see results for yourself. I feel more confident, tons of other people abstaining have increased confidence. I've read several instances where people have purportedly noticed that they stutter less or not at all compared to usual.
    Because there's no evidence that isn't anecdotal.
    Please show me all these men who don't masturbate and it fixes stuttering.

Why you are so determined to refute any possible claimed benefits? Is it because you love masturbation too much to even consider that not masturbating might actually be good for you? Oh, and sexual repression due to religion/strict parents/morals forced upon you is way different to choosing fapstinence by yourself. The aggression is most likely acting out due to being forced to behave a certain way.
    Exactly so let people chose and stop with these false claims.

Masturbation is proven to be healthy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.