Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this simply a test in will power, or are there actual benefits that come with it?

Good luck regardless lads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Is this simply a test in will power, or are there actual benefits that come with it?

There are benefits that are obvious when you actually abstain, but they probably only effect those who are addicted.

ReputationRep:

Yes. Increased motivation, drive and confidence due to increased dopamine and other relevant chemicals and neurotransmitters. I have personal experience of this. Strengthened willpower will also result in increased self-esteem and thereby increase self-confidence and improve other areas of life (as self-control is also increased).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Yes. Increased motivation, drive and confidence due to increased dopamine and other relevant chemicals and neurotransmitters. I have personal experience of this. Strengthened willpower will also result in increased self-esteem and thereby increase self-confidence and improve other areas of life (as self-control is also increased).
    do these biological effects occur abstaining from sex as well?

ReputationRep:
    All your science lingo that I can just about follow has made me tempted to try this.

Again, good luck to anyone who has started. I noticed a few fails though. Couldn't resist some lovin' with the rubbin'.

Edit: Couldn't do the year though, sheesh. I'll shake the hand of a man who can go that long, if I can get past the wheelbarrow he now keeps his balls in.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt any of you will last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Another reason for me to be the vice chancellor - I'm a really good spinster!

Have you made it yet? We need links!
    :lol:

Er, I'm trying again. I quoted you and told you above earlier on page 41, maybe you missed it?

ReputationRep:
    Majority seem to have not failed.. sounds too good to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Doubt any of you will last.
    We'll see about that!

(Original post by moritzplatz)
    do these biological effects occur abstaining from sex as well?
    Well, sex is quite different actually. In moderation (really depending on your age, as we young ones may go at it frequently), it's very beneficial of course and actually serves to increase and replenish certain chemicals and neurotransmitters that are not in solo tugging.

Nevertheless, complete abstinence from any sexual release whatsoever [including sex] (not forever, but maybe like in this challenge for 2013) and a redirection of energy will undoubtedly greatly increase motivation, drive, social and self-confidence and up the mood. But many of the participants are only doing "no fapping", possibly in order to "up their game" and are by no means abstaining in the complete sense of the word. But I'm personally open to trying it, but not forever - I'm no monk and sex is excellent of course. But, still, a year without no release whatsoever should, played right, ramp up productivity and energy greatly to the point of positive mania!

ReputationRep:
    Alix23(Began 06/01/2013) [FAILED!]
    Well that was quick

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

Er, I'm trying again. I quoted you and told you above earlier on page 41, maybe you missed it?
    Ill find it
    I can't find it :sad:
    Sent from my Motorola Droid 2 Global

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PureMathsigma)
    Majority seem to have not failed.. sounds too good to be true.
    Is it because you can't imagine going without for a day? Because you are but a boy?

All your science lingo that I can just about follow has made me tempted to try this.

Again, good luck to anyone who has started. I noticed a few fails though. Couldn't resist some lovin' with the rubbin'.

Edit: Couldn't do the year though, sheesh. I'll shake the hand of a man who can go that long, if I can get past the wheelbarrow he now keeps his balls in.
    I'll hold you to that. It's a long journey, but it will be a great one!

ReputationRep:
    We'll see about that!

Well, sex is quite different actually. In moderation (really depending on your age, as we young ones may go at it frequently), it's very beneficial of course and actually serves to increase and replenish certain chemicals and neurotransmitters that are not in solo tugging.

Nevertheless, complete abstinence from any sexual release whatsoever [including sex] (not forever, but maybe like in this challenge for 2013) and a redirection of energy will undoubtedly greatly increase motivation, drive, social and self-confidence and up the mood. But many of the participants are only doing "no fapping", possibly in order to "up their game" and are by no means abstaining in the complete sense of the word. But I'm personally open to trying it, but not forever - I'm no monk and sex is excellent of course. But, still, a year without no release whatsoever should, played right, ramp up productivity and energy greatly to the point of positive mania!
    I had imagined having meaningful sex would increase your motivation, self-confidence etc. And by meaningful I mean with your wife not with a hoe... do you get what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caine23)
    Well that was quick
    'Twas a lass, too! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Is it because you can't imagine going without for a day? Because you are but a boy?

I'll hold you to that. It's a long journey, but it will be a great one!
    I've gone much longer before and I'll have you know that I'm still in the challenge!

ReputationRep:
    I had imagined having meaningful sex would increase your motivation, self-confidence etc. And by meaningful I mean with your wife not with a hoe... do you get what I mean?
    Yes, I thought that's what I implied? That such sex would increase and replenish certain chemicals and whatnot, thereby indirectly increasing confidence etc etc?

ReputationRep:

sounds like you have researched this stuff!

mind sharing some articles or links? im quite interested!

ReputationRep:
    I've gone much longer before and I'll have you know that I'm still in the challenge!
    Oh, are you on the list? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moritzplatz)
    sounds like you have researched this stuff!

mind sharing some articles or links? im quite interested!
    Yep! It's accumulated knowledge from previous years (especially 2010-2011 when I was really interested in it!).

I'll try to find some of the stuff, hang on...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, are you on the list? :holmes:
    Yeah I'm the don on the list.
    Yes, I thought that's what I implied? That such sex would increase and replenish certain chemicals and whatnot, thereby indirectly increasing confidence etc etc?
    Oh I read it too quickly then sorry lol.

Edit: No I didn't.. you said abstinence would increase.... nevermind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.