Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly confused on what the actual equation is (I'm pretty sure I've confused myself here but anyway).
    In my book it's:
    C6H5NH2 + HNO2 +2HCl --> C6H5N2+Cl- + 2H20

(or phenylamine + nitrous acid + hydrochloric acid --> benzenediazonium chloride + water)

But I've looked online, and in replacement of the nitrous acid, I've seen sodium nitrate, NaNO2. :confused:
    I was just wondering whether this was interchangeable, because of the need to generate the nitrous acid before it reacts with the phenylamine, or whether my book's got a typo?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The two are interchangeable, as both HNO2 and NaNO2 will form the ion NO+ which is needed for the formation of the diazonium
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamaway)
    I'm slightly confused on what the actual equation is (I'm pretty sure I've confused myself here but anyway).
    In my book it's:

(or phenylamine + nitrous acid + hydrochloric acid --> benzenediazonium chloride + water)

But I've looked online, and in replacement of the nitrous acid, I've seen sodium nitrate, NaNO2. :confused:
    I was just wondering whether this was interchangeable, because of the need to generate the nitrous acid before it reacts with the phenylamine, or whether my book's got a typo?
    Thanks!
    In fact nitrous acid is never used as it is far too unstable. Instead it is generated 'in-situ' by the reaction between HCl and NaNO2

HCl + NaNO2 --> HNO2 + NaCl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamaway)
    In my book it's:

Thanks!
    to make HNO2 you do this

NaN02 + HCl = HN02 + NACl

you can either make the nitrous acid in a seperate stage or combine it in the other formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    In fact nitrous acid is never used as it is far too unstable. Instead it is generated 'in-situ' by the reaction between HCl and NaNO2

HCl + NaNO2 --> HNO2 + NaCl
    This is what I've been taught too; it seems that putting HNO2 as a reagent or condition or whatever (question dependent, either in the equation or on the arrow) is wrong for the reason emboldened here. Stick to charco's advice and you should secure all the marks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.