Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Firstly, congratulations to everyone holding Cambridge offers, and good luck to everyone currently in the Winter Pool.

I thought that this was the best time to ask this question, as I assume they'll be lots of former and current Cambridge students answering questions on various offer/pool threads.

This year I was rejected by Oxford (pre-interview) for English. I had wanted to apply to Cambridge because I thought I stood a better chance in terms of my stats. My UMS isn't very high owing to mitigating circumstances, but I was told by a current Cambridge student that they just wouldn't care. I chose Oxford by default.

Anyway, I currently hold an offer to study English at King's, which I'm very pleased about. After my degree, I intend to apply for English Studies at Cambridge for my Masters (I would appreciate if people's answers actually answered my question, not telling me just to get my degree and see what happens, because that is unhelpful) My question is, do they look at things like GCSEs and A2 grades, or do they mainly focus on degree classification?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hard luck about Oxford, its a horrible place anyway

In all seriousness, I know you want to have a plan, but 3 years is a very long time, and university level study is very different from school level, so don't feel obliged to stick to it. Education is now very expensive and masters degrees in an arts subject are not particularly valuable in the jobs market, unless you ultimately want to lecture etc. you may end up better off not doing it.

In answer to your question:
    GCSEs quite simply don't matter at all, even for undergraduate level. For graduate level entrance, they don't even ask about A levels. It's partially down to the degree but much rests on your references, ability to fund yourself, and availability of a suitable supervisor. I'm currently finishing off my Masters (Natsci) and moving on to PhD, so I've filled in the graduate form before

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you are serious, you should try to build up good relationships with some of your lecturers/supervisors/tutors or whatever King's has, to give you strong references, and 1sts would be pretty essential.

Good luck getting on that course, my gf got a double first in English from Cambridge and still got rejected for it...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.