Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Overspent my overdraft by £12 help !!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay so i knew i was close to maxing out my overdraft last time i looked so i didn't use my card at all over christmas and today i went to check my account and it say I'm £1012 out of a £1000 overdraft,I'm worried will i be getting charged for this I'm with HSBC by the way.Maybe there was some things i bought that hadn't been charged from my account last time i looked.I get my student finance on monday so if they do charge i can pay them but know I'm worried they might take my overdraft away from me and theres no way i can afford to live without an overdraft!

Can anyone help me out ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karlso1992)
    okay so i knew i was close to maxing out my overdraft last time i looked so i didn't use my card at all over christmas and today i went to check my account and it say I'm £1012 out of a £1000 overdraft,I'm worried will i be getting charged for this I'm with HSBC by the way.Maybe there was some things i bought that hadn't been charged from my account last time i looked.I get my student finance on monday so if they do charge i can pay them but know I'm worried they might take my overdraft away from me and theres no way i can afford to live without an overdraft!

Can anyone help me out ?
    You probably will get charged, plus an extra interest charge on the excess amount, depending on which type of account exactly you have.

I would call them Monday and ask them not to charge you as you made an honest mistake.

Can you find £13 somewhere on Monday to pay back into it?

ReputationRep:

Can anyone help me out ?
    They will probably charge interest on the £12

Depending on your terms and conditions they may charge interest on the full £1012

The interest should just be on the few days that you are over the limit

They are very unlikely to remove your overdraft facility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    You probably will get charged, plus an extra interest charge on the excess amount, depending on which type of account exactly you have.

I would call them Monday and ask them not to charge you as you made an honest mistake.

Can you find £13 somewhere on Monday to pay back into it?
    I definitely can find that money intact i was going to go to my bank tomorrow and pay it in but since its Sunday the bank will be closed but i can pay that money very easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    They will probably charge interest on the £12

Depending on your terms and conditions they may charge interest on the full £1012

The interest should just be on the few days that you are over the limit

They are very unlikely to remove your overdraft facility
    Interest on the whole £1012 shriek i don't have the terms with me to check that but i hope that isn't true.Have you heard this happen to others?Ive been reading a few horror stories where the bank just up and took the overdraft off a student once they'd paid it back as they can't be trusted with it anymore or something.

ReputationRep:
    Interest on the whole £1012 shriek i don't have the terms with me to check that but i hope that isn't true.Have you heard this happen to others?Ive been reading a few horror stories where the bank just up and took the overdraft off a student once they'd paid it back as they can't be trusted with it anymore or something.
    I doubt they will charge for the whole amount but it is worth checking

£12 for less than a week is not going to lose your overdraft facility but it would be better if you could get someone to transfer £20 into your account today

ReputationRep:
    I definitely can find that money intact i was going to go to my bank tomorrow and pay it in but since its Sunday the bank will be closed but i can pay that money very easily.
    You only get charged interest on working banking days, so it can wait till Monday.

Some accounts have a small "safety margin" above the overdraft limit on which you don't get charged - yours might, you could ask the bank about that as well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.