Overspent my overdraft by £12 help !!! Watch

karlso1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
okay so i knew i was close to maxing out my overdraft last time i looked so i didn't use my card at all over christmas and today i went to check my account and it say I'm £1012 out of a £1000 overdraft,I'm worried will i be getting charged for this I'm with HSBC by the way.Maybe there was some things i bought that hadn't been charged from my account last time i looked.I get my student finance on monday so if they do charge i can pay them but know I'm worried they might take my overdraft away from me and theres no way i can afford to live without an overdraft!

Can anyone help me out ?
zara55
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by karlso1992)
okay so i knew i was close to maxing out my overdraft last time i looked so i didn't use my card at all over christmas and today i went to check my account and it say I'm £1012 out of a £1000 overdraft,I'm worried will i be getting charged for this I'm with HSBC by the way.Maybe there was some things i bought that hadn't been charged from my account last time i looked.I get my student finance on monday so if they do charge i can pay them but know I'm worried they might take my overdraft away from me and theres no way i can afford to live without an overdraft!

Can anyone help me out ?
You probably will get charged, plus an extra interest charge on the excess amount, depending on which type of account exactly you have.

I would call them Monday and ask them not to charge you as you made an honest mistake.

Can you find £13 somewhere on Monday to pay back into it?
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Can anyone help me out ?
They will probably charge interest on the £12

Depending on your terms and conditions they may charge interest on the full £1012

The interest should just be on the few days that you are over the limit

They are very unlikely to remove your overdraft facility
karlso1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by zara55)
You probably will get charged, plus an extra interest charge on the excess amount, depending on which type of account exactly you have.

I would call them Monday and ask them not to charge you as you made an honest mistake.

Can you find £13 somewhere on Monday to pay back into it?
I definitely can find that money intact i was going to go to my bank tomorrow and pay it in but since its Sunday the bank will be closed but i can pay that money very easily.
karlso1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
They will probably charge interest on the £12

Depending on your terms and conditions they may charge interest on the full £1012

The interest should just be on the few days that you are over the limit

They are very unlikely to remove your overdraft facility
Interest on the whole £1012 shriek i don't have the terms with me to check that but i hope that isn't true.Have you heard this happen to others?Ive been reading a few horror stories where the bank just up and took the overdraft off a student once they'd paid it back as they can't be trusted with it anymore or something.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interest on the whole £1012 shriek i don't have the terms with me to check that but i hope that isn't true.Have you heard this happen to others?Ive been reading a few horror stories where the bank just up and took the overdraft off a student once they'd paid it back as they can't be trusted with it anymore or something.
I doubt they will charge for the whole amount but it is worth checking

£12 for less than a week is not going to lose your overdraft facility but it would be better if you could get someone to transfer £20 into your account today
zara55
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I definitely can find that money intact i was going to go to my bank tomorrow and pay it in but since its Sunday the bank will be closed but i can pay that money very easily.
You only get charged interest on working banking days, so it can wait till Monday.

Some accounts have a small "safety margin" above the overdraft limit on which you don't get charged - yours might, you could ask the bank about that as well.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (311)
45.01%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (214)
30.97%
I don't have an opinion (166)
24.02%

Watched Threads