Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arranged Marriage Yay or Nay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplestars1)
    I assummed that most arranged marraiges did have a trial period whereyou meet eachother ? .. maybe im wrong
    I don't know much about arranged marriages either, but I assume you get to find out about him/her but in some strict cultures you can't go on dates and stuff and spend time together without parents being there? That sounds a tad dodgey but ya no what I mean ^_^ Just guessing

ReputationRep:
    im for it.
    pretty excited for my arranged

ReputationRep:
    It would have to be some kind of miracle for my parents to set me up with someone I would want to marry. I don't have a problem with my parents introducing me to people, but imagine your family actually organising your marriage before you have even met the person... that must put a lot of pressure on people to agree to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    Yay! Because otherwise who the hell will be married to me?!

I'd better buy myself a few cats to keep me company instead.
    lol rightt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil4)
    im for it.
    pretty excited for my arranged
    are you getting an arranged marriage soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplestars1)
    are you getting an arranged marriage soon?
    no, i've got a good few years. it's pretty exciting though cos my family friends are having theirs and stuff (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    Yay! Because otherwise who the hell will be married to me?!

I'd better buy myself a few cats to keep me company instead.
    My parents are similar saying no one is gonna want to get married to me lol. Oh well when I'm later in my bachelor pad you'll be the first guy I invite round for a wicked night of (non-alcoholic) drinking, watching the footie & playing video games :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    My parents are similar saying no one is gonna want to get married to me lol. Oh well when I'm later in my bachelor pad you'll be the first guy I invite round for a wicked night of (non-alcoholic) drinking, watching the footie & playing video games :cool:
    Loool why are all Bengali parents into the "Let's get rid of that self esteem rubbish" approach to parenting, at least when it comes to marriage/personal appearance?!

ReputationRep:
    Nope I don't agree with it. Never on earth. I'd choose death

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandub)
    If that is the case, it's probably down to them being more prevalent in cultures where divorces are way more frowned upon and people get stuck in their marriage for fear of disrespecting their families. Seems a happy way to live.
    This x 100. Cause and effect cannot be established.

Arranged marriages do tend to last longer than love ones. But you have no proof of why. Here are some possible reasons:

The two have never been with anyone else so have nothing to compare their spouse to.

Divorce is usually impossible or implausible.

It is tradition to marry and stay together. It's what they know.

Arranged marriage usually entail the whole of the two families. If the marriage broke down a whole family network would be broken. Pressure.

Saying divorce is lower in arranged means nothing. Are you suggesting arranged couples are happier? Because I'd love to see that proven

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not for me. I'm not even sure if I'll get married, and an arranged marriage is just wholly unappealing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go with yay. It seems to have worked for my parents, so it's plausible that it'll work for me.

ReputationRep:
    Bad thing because everyone should have freedom of choice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.