The Student Room Group

In this context, what does 'derived' mean?

This is from a paper about the diminutive early human, Homo floresiensis:

'They argued that the H. floresiensis brain was derived in the frontal and temporal regions and in the position of the lunate sulcus, features that are associated with advanced cognitive function. Their conclusion was that H. floresiensis would have been capable of cultural behaviors inferred for it from the associated archaeological material in spite of its small brain size.'

Does this mean the most developed parts of the brain are the frontal and temporal regions, and that the position of the lunate sulcus is significant? I don't really understand.
Reply 1
I think it means that it's a feature not shared from the common ancestor. Ie, it's more definitive and distinct to that species.

I really should know this but I haven't done a great deal of evolutionary theory :frown:
Reply 2
Thank you :smile: This makes sense - and I suppose I'll assume that it means those brain features are disproportionately enlarged and it has a unique position of its lunate sulcus.

The point of this is that these derived features suggest that neurological reorganization can occur independently of an increase in brain size, so again this makes sense!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending