Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its 13)c and 16)c I don't quite get.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    For 13c, can you recall the equation that links area to flow? Use that.

For 16c it's really just a sum of forces. The work the horse is doing that which is required to move the boat horizontally, so ideally the horse wants to be directly infront of the boat so that the tension in the rope = force required to pull the boat. If it's off to the side the tension in the rope is going to be greater since there's a now a vertical component of force. The longer the rope is, the smaller this vertical component and hence a lower tension in the rope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliver.Farren)
    For 13c, can you recall the equation that links area to flow? Use that.

For 16c it's really just a sum of forces. The work the horse is doing that which is required to move the boat horizontally, so ideally the horse wants to be directly infront of the boat so that the tension in the rope = force required to pull the boat. If it's off to the side the tension in the rope is going to be greater since there's a now a vertical component of force. The longer the rope is, the smaller this vertical component and hence a lower tension in the rope.
    Thx for that explanation cleared doubts in my head .
    And I'm not too sure what you mean by the 'equation that links area to flow'

This is what to the marks schemes says for 13Ci)
    Explain how this would increase the range of the ball.
    (smaller area of turbulent flow 􀃆) less resistive force (1)
    Less kinetic energy dissipated / kinetic energy dissipated at lower
    rate / less work done against air resistance / less deceleration (1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123formyabc)
    Thx for that explanation cleared doubts in my head .
    And I'm not too sure what you mean by the 'equation that links area to flow'

This is what to the marks schemes says for 13Ci)
    Explain how this would increase the range of the ball.
    (smaller area of turbulent flow 􀃆) less resistive force (1)
    Less kinetic energy dissipated / kinetic energy dissipated at lower
    rate / less work done against air resistance / less deceleration (1)
    The turbulent flow causes a resistance, So decreasing the amount of turbulent flow will decrease the deceleration so the ball will go further.

ReputationRep:
    A longer rope would result in a smaller angle formed between the direction of the boat's motion and the rope, meaning the horse needn't pull as hard to give the boat the same constant velocity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello calum)
    The turbulent flow causes a resistance, So decreasing the amount of turbulent flow will decrease the deceleration so the ball will go further.
    Yeah that makes more sense thx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.