Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 6 foot, 85kgs, pretty 'skinny fat'. I want to lose fat as I have quite the beer belly. I have developed a routine for the gym, I was just wondering what you guys think, and if there's anything I can improve/change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Monday and Thursday (Cardio)
    3 resistance machines to warm up

Two of the following:
    15 minutes treadmill HIIT (1 min walk fast, 2 minutes run)
    15 minutes HIIT rowing (2 mins normal, 1 minute full out).
    15 minutes cycle (fast)

Saturday (Strength)
    Resistance training followed by 10 minutes cross trainer cool down

ReputationRep:
    You barely doing any resistance training. The best you can hope for is skinny fat ----> skinny, which is only a minor improvement at best.
    Dunno what you're doing for strength or what you're eating so not sure how people can comment ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    You barely doing any resistance training. The best you can hope for is skinny fat ----> skinny, which is only a minor improvement at best.
    Dunno what you're doing for strength or what you're eating so not sure how people can comment ....
    Sorry. I understand. Well on my diet I'm trying to eat a reduction of calories and a low amount of sat fat as well as eating a higher amount of fruit/veg.

For strength, I use the weight machines at the gym: chest press, lat pulldown, pec dec, ab crunch, shoulder press, and leg extension

ReputationRep:
    Lift weights 3 days a week doing a full body workout. Or you can spend a lot longer doing cardio, but truth be told if you are losing fat for appearances cardio is useless. Cardio is for training or to improve health, if you've got nothing to train for and have good health and you just want to look good then hit the weights hard for a few months. Broads will be all over you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnkesd)
    Lift weights 3 days a week doing a full body workout. Or you can spend a lot longer doing cardio, but truth be told if you are losing fat for appearances cardio is useless. Cardio is for training or to improve health, if you've got nothing to train for and have good health and you just want to look good then hit the weights hard for a few months. Broads will be all over you.
    How many weight machines is good for a decent workout? I do 3 sets of 12

Edit: also want to get fit for football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dent.2013)

3 sets of 12 is pretty standard, try doing a workout for each muscle group... the most important workout to do is squats, then throw in bench press, maybe some deadlifts, some bent over rows, could do military press. I prefer free weights, but some muscles are best exercised on machines. Consult some people at your gym and maybe a weight lifting forum for what a good number of exercises is, don't want to under or over do it.

If you're playing soccer/football throw in some cardio too in your warmup.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. I understand. Well on my diet I'm trying to eat a reduction of calories and a low amount of sat fat as well as eating a higher amount of fruit/veg.

For strength, I use the weight machines at the gym: chest press, lat pulldown, pec dec, ab crunch, shoulder press, and leg extension
    Think you should follow a proper routine and do weights minimum twice a week, either upper/lower splits or full body routines. These will include the big compound movements because they hit the most muscles. Machines are more isolated in general (so you're doing 'less' work in a sense). Read the stickies. Plenty of useful information.

As a newb you'll get results no matter what but you want to get the best/quickest results which is world's apart from mediocre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnkesd)
    3 sets of 12 is pretty standard, try doing a workout for each muscle group... the most important workout to do is squats, then throw in bench press, maybe some deadlifts, some bent over rows, could do military press. I prefer free weights, but some muscles are best exercised on machines. Consult some people at your gym and maybe a weight lifting forum for what a good number of exercises is, don't want to under or over do it.

If you're playing soccer/football throw in some cardio too in your warmup.
    Thanks guys. So would you say I should have separate sessions for cardio and resistance or just mix them into the same routine. I wanna spend about an hour at a time each session

ReputationRep:

None, use free weights.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    You've got all the advice you need mate, get onto a free weights program, add in cardio 2-3 times a week if you really want to and that's pretty much it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.