Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, hope I am doing this right! I'm basically wanting to arrange a gap year in Australia preferably starting next year. Haven't really done much research and Uni is still on the cards for me.
    I have family over there (never met them) but I am more than welcome to stay with them if i take a trip there. I'm soon to be 18 and as a female my folks aren't happy about me riding solo, anyone else up for this or something similar (i am open to ideas) let me know

I am really eager to travel and would be open to anywhere really, I am not massively interested in backpacking through Europe but please let me know if there's any people, singular or in groups looking for travel buddies

ReputationRep:
    hey, im in the same position as you! (i think, sort of) i'll be on my gap year in afew months (i'm 18) and i would love to go to australia at some point in 2014... and im trying to find any way to get myself out there but i dont know what i would do out there! were you thinking of getting a job or just travelling?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah working abroad is definitely something I'd like to do, but I'm also up for just travelling. Well I'd be finishing college in June time, have you applied to uni? Where else would you like to visit?

ReputationRep:
    do it! I live in Australia and it really is a great place to travel around! plus you can go to New Zealand, some of the pacific islands and South East Asia as they are close by.

Feel free to ask any questions about life in Aus (particularly Sydney as thats my home), travelling, employment situation etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pboothroyd1)
    Hey everyone, hope I am doing this right! I'm basically wanting to arrange a gap year in Australia preferably starting next year. Haven't really done much research and Uni is still on the cards for me.
    I have family over there (never met them) but I am more than welcome to stay with them if i take a trip there. I'm soon to be 18 and as a female my folks aren't happy about me riding solo, anyone else up for this or something similar (i am open to ideas) let me know

I am really eager to travel and would be open to anywhere really, I am not massively interested in backpacking through Europe but please let me know if there's any people, singular or in groups looking for travel buddies
    Hey, i'm 18 too. I'm going to Australia this September for just under a year. I'll be travelling solo too so ye..kinda crazy! lol. Have you ever looked in to www.ozintro.com or the ozintro facebook page. There is like a massive network of backpackers and travellers who are all in the same position and going at different dates. Feel free to ask me about any of my plans.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am 20 years old. Just started my first year of University and I would love the opportunity to do a Year Abroad either something like Camp America/Camp Australia, DreamCareers - Guaranteed Paid Internships wherever you want etc. I'd love to just go.... or something like Filming the big cats in Africa.

I study a Film course at my university and for the past 2-3 months, I have just been researching many, many organisations that help students do this.

I have never travelled alone before, my parents (especially my mum) has a tight grip on me and is afraid of letting me go. I am also a bit anxious about getting on the plane by myself, flying all the way to Australia or New Zealand or America or Africa and walking off the plane into a strange airport.... does someone pick you up? like all of these questions... but some organisations do pick you up from the airport, take you to the location and then you have an orientation the next day. I would like to go with someone, it would make me feel a lot better, then I would know someone to go around with and then I'm not on my own but still I would like the independence, it would also look brill on a CV too. I mean can you imagine going to a job interview and saying you was a part of a organisation in Africa to Film and Edit the big cats for 4-6 months! I mean how cool is that - how whatever you wanted to do lol.

Anyway, yea I'm in same situation as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pelican?)
    do it! I live in Australia and it really is a great place to travel around! plus you can go to New Zealand, some of the pacific islands and South East Asia as they are close by.

Feel free to ask any questions about life in Aus (particularly Sydney as thats my home), travelling, employment situation etc etc

- how easy is it to find a job?
    - how much is it to live there? (I would go with my girlfriend so preferably 1 bedroom apartment)
    - how's life?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan8)
    - how easy is it to find a job?
    - how much is it to live there? (I would go with my girlfriend so preferably 1 bedroom apartment)
    - how's life?

thanks!
    it's pretty easy to get a job in bartending/other hospitality/retail, especially if you have experience. that's in Sydney though, not sure about other cities or farm work and such.

Honestly I'm not the biggest expert on rental prices here - I do know that the cheapest of the cheap will start at $150 per week (usually for a single bed in a shared apartment and not in the CBD) and can go up to $400+. Have a browse on - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-property...c18364l3003435 - it can give you a good idea of prices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pelican?)
    it's pretty easy to get a job in bartending/other hospitality/retail, especially if you have experience. that's in Sydney though, not sure about other cities or farm work and such.

Honestly I'm not the biggest expert on rental prices here - I do know that the cheapest of the cheap will start at $150 per week (usually for a single bed in a shared apartment and not in the CBD) and can go up to $400+. Have a browse on - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-property...c18364l3003435 - it can give you a good idea of prices
    Thanks a lot you sweet person!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.