Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a few simple questions

1. What is the work load like (I will be studying Computing) ?
    2. And without Further Maths is it much harder?
    3. How many hours do you generally need to study a day outside lectures to get a 1st?

Just so I can brace myself / build momentum over the next few months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    Just simple. I've asked the social related questions. It seems if your not a freak just by the virtue of being in London, Imperial is good banter.

Questions:

1. BUT what is the work load like (I will be studying Computing if I get an offer, and meet it)?
    2. And without Further Maths is it 10x harder?
    3. How many hours do you generally need to study a day outside lectures to get a 1st????

Just so I can brace myself / build momentum over the next few months?
    I'm in the first year doing Computing at Imperial. I got in without Further Maths, though I did have to get a Merit in the Maths Advanced Extension Award. Because of the international students, I couldn't say that you would be in the minority without FM, but it would certainly help when applying.

The work is difficult and it can be very frustrating, as you can't really ask for help on things that are graded. It isn't that much in terms of quantity, but 1 page of code or half a dozen maths questions can take 8 hours if its all new to you and you get stuck. They ease you into exams, but not into the assessed work.

I'm not sure about your second question. If you've done certain topics in FP1-FP3, you'll have less to learn in the maths lectures. It won't be easy either way. I found the unit on vectors harder than the one on complex numbers.

To get a first you need an A, which is 70%+. I'm not sure how many study hours a day it would involve. It will certainly vary by person and background. At the moment I think I'm getting median results in exams and assessed work and I do on average about 5 hours of extra work a day.

You know this already, but Computing at Imperial is very maths based. I can give you a flavour of what the work is like if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drspa44)
    I'm in the first year doing Computing at Imperial. I got in without Further Maths, though I did have to get a Merit in the Maths Advanced Extension Award. Because of the international students, I couldn't say that you would be in the minority without FM, but it would certainly help when applying.

The work is difficult and it can be very frustrating, as you can't really ask for help on things that are graded. It isn't that much in terms of quantity, but 1 page of code or half a dozen maths questions can take 8 hours if its all new to you and you get stuck. They ease you into exams, but not into the assessed work.

I'm not sure about your second question. If you've done certain topics in FP1-FP3, you'll have less to learn in the maths lectures. It won't be easy either way. I found the unit on vectors harder than the one on complex numbers.

To get a first you need an A, which is 70%+. I'm not sure how many study hours a day it would involve. It will certainly vary by person and background. At the moment I think I'm getting median results in exams and assessed work and I do on average about 5 hours of extra work a day.

You know this already, but Computing at Imperial is very maths based. I can give you a flavour of what the work is like if you want.
    Ah perfect you answered everything extremely well thanks for taking the time.

Yes if there is any chance you could personal message me or even comment here on what the Maths is like that would be good !!

I'm doing Maths Chemistry and Physics and so I am not sure if I will be prepared enough :confused:

ReputationRep:
    For maths, have a look at the lecturer's website: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~jb/teaching...tical-methods/

Have a look at the Tutorial and General MMT Notes, as these are examples of problems we might have to go through individually or as a group (of about 8) in tutorials. The foundation sheet is what you're expected to know before you start and there is a test in the second week.

Also, here is a screenshot of the coursework. Most of the maths work we hand in is assessed and graded but does not 'count'. Since most of the work is recycled every year, it's not really on display.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 19.43.28.png
Views: 165
Size:  33.8 KB

The above is supposed to take 40 minutes, but took a lot longer for me and a few others. I, along with my whole tutorial group got full marks, but that is bound to happen when you've got a week to do it and you can tell by looking if your answer is wrong.

You've got as good a chance as me, if not better at getting a place I think. It is very likely they will ask you to get either a Merit in a maths AEA or something slightly harder in STEP exams. Have a look at http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea...s/default.aspx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drspa44)
    For maths, have a look at the lecturer's website: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~jb/teaching...tical-methods/

Have a look at the Tutorial and General MMT Notes, as these are examples of problems we might have to go through individually or as a group (of about 8) in tutorials. The foundation sheet is what you're expected to know before you start and there is a test in the second week.

Also, here is a screenshot of the coursework. Most of the maths work we hand in is assessed and graded but does not 'count'. Since most of the work is recycled every year, it's not really on display.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 19.43.28.png
Views: 165
Size:  33.8 KB

The above is supposed to take 40 minutes, but took a lot longer for me and a few others. I, along with my whole tutorial group got full marks, but that is bound to happen when you've got a week to do it and you can tell by looking if your answer is wrong.

You've got as good a chance as me, if not better at getting a place I think. It is very likely they will ask you to get either a Merit in a maths AEA or something slightly harder in STEP exams. Have a look at http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea...s/default.aspx.
    You don't know how much you've helped. You've demystified it quite a bit, but a test in your second week - that is nuts.

I now understand its just going to be continual work! But it doesn't seem to be an impossible challenge as long as you do in fact work!

Hopefully I'll get an offer then get the grades! I may drop you a quick message after my January exams!! Thanks again for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    You don't know how much you've helped. You've demystified it quite a bit, but a test in your second week - that is nuts.

I now understand its just going to be continual work! But it doesn't seem to be an impossible challenge as long as you do in fact work!

Hopefully I'll get an offer then get the grades! I may drop you a quick message after my January exams!! Thanks again for the help
    Its not an impossible challenge, but it can be very frustrating. Just make sure it is the right one for you, given how it is so full of maths. Being disinterested in maths will lead to low grades. You need 40%+ in each exam and coursework as a whole, so its not like you can focus on certain courses and fail others.

They prepare you for the diagnostic test in the Summer registration letter. It really doesn't count at all - it just gives your maths tutor an idea as to what they can expect from you.

Good luck, but choose what is best for you.

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.