Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it likely I have diabetes type 1? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Since late august i've been feeling very tired all the time, i've had thrush a lot since then too, my vision is worse because of the tiredness, i've also been having hair loss and some bald patches...i am thirsty often
    i'm only 16 and worried it might be diabetes

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctors with a urine sample and they will dip it for you and tell you. Have you lost weight? Are you constantly hungry? Is there a family history of diabetes?

ReputationRep:
    No idea, but you definitely need to get to the doctors, none of those things are normal!

Good luck and I hope it isn't anything serious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabemed)
    Go to the doctors with a urine sample and they will dip it for you and tell you. Have you lost weight? Are you constantly hungry? Is there a family history of diabetes?
    I think i've only lost 1kg/2kg.. there are times when i'm hungry, especially at school
    My dad has diabetes type 2 but I know his first cousin has type 1. I think a few people from my mums side have had it too

I'm having a blood test on Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    No idea, but you definitely need to get to the doctors, none of those things are normal!

Good luck and I hope it isn't anything serious
    Thank you I will find out on Thursday as I'm having a blood test done on Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martina9696)
    Hello

Since late august i've been feeling very tired all the time, i've had thrush a lot since then too, my vision is worse because of the tiredness, i've also been having hair loss and some bald patches...i am thirsty often
    tired- it could be anaemia
    I'd go to the doctors to be the safe side

ReputationRep:
    I'd really recommend getting checked out, for peace of mind and to make sure you are not diabetic. I'm type 1, I noticed symptoms of being very Dehdrated and downing cup after cup of water continuously. This lead to me waking up every hour or so during the early hours of the morning to drink more and to pee. After 3 days of this I went to GP, had sugar levels of 25 and I was told that normal levels should be between 4-8. From there I went straight to hospital and was I injecting myself within the hour. If you don't want to wait til Monday you can always buy a blood sugar monitor for like a tenner nd check your own bloods sugars, if there anywhere near 20+ then prepare for the worst!

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE go to the doctor. This happened to my friend, I jokingly said she might have diabetes because she drank so much water, and she laughed about it but didn't take it seriously. She got DKA and had to be rushed into hospital, it was really serious. I'm not saying this will happen to you, but if there is a problem you really want to be safe rather than sorry. Just get it checked out as soon as possible. I hope you're okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libby18)
    tired- it could be anaemia
    I'd go to the doctors to be the safe side
    when i had my blood test done in september because of the tiredness it came back normal so it wasn't anaemia. But thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Sounds like you've been having a rough few months, unfortunately no one on here will be able to know the answer to your question without a blood test, so you've certainly done the right thing. Make sure you discuss your problems with your GP whatever the result, and I hope it goes well for you.

ReputationRep:
    With untreated diabetes type one you lose weight too

ReputationRep:
    I think i've only lost 1kg/2kg.. there are times when i'm hungry, especially at school
    My dad has diabetes type 2 but I know his first cousin has type 1. I think a few people from my mums side have had it too

I'm having a blood test on Monday
    Can one of your relatives not test you? They just need to put a sample of your blood in to their blood sugar meter. The result will tell you whether or not your sugar levels are that of a normal person (your relative will know what is normal and what isn't).

My colleague at work was diagnosed (well unofficially by her friend who sent her to the Doctor and confirmed) in this way. She recently tested me as I spent the past two years drinking anywhere between 6-10 cups of coffee with 6-8 (dependent on cupsize lol) sugars in a day and my eyesight was becoming blurry. Turns out I needed glasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    With untreated diabetes type one you lose weight too
    Not necessarily. I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered type 2 diabetes? Your dad having type 2 does increase your risk of getting it and you don't have to be overweight to get it either.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in May after about a year of tiredness and a few months of excessive thirst and peeing a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Cooper)
    Not necessarily. I didn't.

well its listed as one of the main symptoms everyones different

out of interest do you have a mini cooper?

ReputationRep:
    well its listed as one of the main symptoms everyones different

out of interest do you have a mini cooper?
    I know everyone is different. My point is that although it is a common symptom it isn't a defining factor (and I am an example of this). The way I read what you put was that weight loss was always present in type 1 diabetes. The OP mentioned only losing 1-2kg since August, so they have not had weight loss.

And no.

ReputationRep:
    I know everyone is different. My point is that although it is a common symptom it isn't a defining factor (and I am an example of this). The way I read what you put was that weight loss was always present in type 1 diabetes. The OP mentioned only losing 1-2kg since August, so they have not had weight loss.

And no.
    Ok yea you are asserting your person experience which is fair enough, you have it so you will no doubt be an expert on it by now. Before discovering insulin I thought that starvation and weight loss was within the progression of diabetes. If you had left your diabetes untreated do you think you would not have lost weight?

Just asking a question.

ReputationRep:
    If you had left your diabetes untreated do you think you would not have lost weight?

Just asking a question.
    I wouldn't have lost weight. I was undiagnosed for over a year. I have slow-onset type 1, so the symptoms gradually crept up on me (thirst, frequent urination, tiredness...) but over that time I didn't lose any weight

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have lost weight. I was undiagnosed for over a year. I have slow-onset type 1, so the symptoms gradually crept up on me (thirst, frequent urination, tiredness...) but over that time I didn't lose any weight
    Oh thats interesting, I always thought the symptoms of type 1 came on quickly. I thought type 2 had the slow onset, did they think it was type 2 at first?

ReputationRep:
    Oh thats interesting, I always thought the symptoms of type 1 came on quickly. I thought type 2 had the slow onset, did they think it was type 2 at first?
    They didn't know because I wasn't typical of either types. But they were honest about that from the start. The aim was just to treat it and worry about naming which type I was later.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.