The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
gzftan
Apparently though...the BCG isn't really that effective at protecting against you contracting TB...that's according to my bio teacher...but i feel safer with it than without!!!

G

In whihc case you have to wonder why TB is now very rare in comparison to how it was.
Reply 41
eric bischoff
i have mine in 7 days (well the heaf test)

then the bcg vaccine the week after.So does it hurt? :frown:

First they dab an piece of cotton soaked in alcohol on your arm, before asking you your name and what subjects you do, just a pointless exercise to get you to remove your attention from looking at your arm. Then the needlewoman pulls out a 5cm, not 5mm, needle thats thicker than the lead you find in most pencils. Then OUCH, the most unbearable pain ever felt, one you wouldn't even wish upon your eneies tingles and spreads from your arm. Your arm feels all dead, like if somebody had kicked your privates. The needlewoman then carefully bandages your arm, you can feel the pus and blood urging to come out. Seriously it is the worst pain ever. however there is light at the end of the tunnel, the pain usually subsides after a few weeks.

Your brave so you should be alright. jsut don't sneeze or cough, as it causes more pain. Good Luck.
Reply 42
Bhaal85
First they dab an piece of cotton soaked in alcohol on your arm, before asking you your name and what subjects you do, just a pointless exercise to get you to remove your attention from looking at your arm. Then the needlewoman pulls out a 5cm, not 5mm, needle thats thicker than the lead you find in most pencils. Then OUCH, the most unbearable pain ever felt, one you wouldn't even wish upon your eneies tingles and spreads from your arm. Your arm feels all dead, like if somebody had kicked your privates. The needlewoman then carefully bandages your arm, you can feel the pus and blood urging to come out. Seriously it is the worst pain ever. however there is light at the end of the tunnel, the pain usually subsides after a few weeks.

Your brave so you should be alright. jsut don't sneeze or cough, as it causes more pain. Good Luck.

Did a monkey give you yours? Mine was no way as bad as that.
Reply 43
Daveo

its bhaal he probably made it up
Reply 44
Daveo
In whihc case you have to wonder why TB is now very rare in comparison to how it was.

Lol! We're doing this in biology at the moment!! A large part of it is because hygiene and living standards have increased greatly in the past few decades...and you only tend to get TB if you're run down and 'weak'.

I'm not saying the BCG isn't making a difference....but it's not as effective as everyone thinks....you can still get TB if you have had the BCG...it's just a reduced risk.

G
Reply 45
gzftan
Lol! We're doing this in biology at the moment!! A large part of it is because hygiene and living standards have increased greatly in the past few decades...and you only tend to get TB if you're run down and 'weak'.

I'm not saying the BCG isn't making a difference....but it's not as effective as everyone thinks....you can still get TB if you have had the BCG...it's just a reduced risk.

G

Ok yeah thats all true so i'm just going to shut up now.
Reply 46
Daveo
Ok yeah thats all true so i'm just going to shut up now.

Lol!! It's ok....perfectly easy misconception to make!

G
Reply 47
gzftan
Lol!! It's ok....perfectly easy misconception to make!

G

Acctually, I think it was mentioned in a public health lecture we have had, but i think I was asleep - oh well, public health is about as interesting as watching ants with your eyes closed.
Reply 48
Daveo
Acctually, I think it was mentioned in a public health lecture we have had, but i think I was asleep - oh well, public health is about as interesting as watching ants with your eyes closed.

Haha!! I only knew that cos we've just done it a coupla days ago....otherwise i'd have thought exactly the same thing!!! :tongue:

G
Reply 49
It's fine, most people said it was nothing but when I had it I definately felt it, but it's nothing to worry about. They put a needle in your arm so that you don't catch a disease.

If I were you I'd be more worried about afterwards, mine took like 3 months to heal.
Reply 50
Daveo

Nope, never had it, at least I don't think I did. I just made it up to scare the bijesus outta Eric.

Bhaal85

It's fine, but just beware of people punching your arm afterwards. You'll probably be left with a big scar even if it doesn't get hit.
Reply 52
eric bischoff

haha nusery school
Gimp
expelled for that! 3 girls burnt down the girls loos where i am and they were just suspended for a week. :smile:

you must live in fairy areas :P

at my school you would get suspension for it. It's actually quite dangerous because the needle is inserted sideways so as to be intradermal (under the skin) hence why the scar. If you punch it, you risk the vaccine all getting into the blood stream quickly (remember a bruise is just burst blood vessels, which then all drain via the lymph back into the blood stream)
J
Reply 54
eric bischoff

therers no bull, yes, of course it hurts, its an injection, just be a man about it
Its nothing when the needle goes in, its just after it hurts a bit, i had a bad history in injections aka fainting but that wasnt bad.
Reply 56
God, some people are such drama people lol. Ok, no lies here right - the 7 needle thing - dont even feel it, u hear this crack thing...and u think...shit...but you dont actually feel anything.
Then if you havnt reacted to that, u have the big one. Now i was probly more scared than u, but ui go in and they put the needle in...which doesnt hurt much. Then they keep it in there for bout 10-15 secondfs, after about 5 secs it begins to sting, and gradually gets a little worse, but its not pain..its kinda different, its bit sore and achey afterwards but ul be fine! it wasnt half as badas i expected, ul hear loadsa horror stories, but take no notice!!
Reply 57
eric bischoff

yes. its the most painful experience ever....
i had the daisy prick (aka Heaf test) but being me i wimped out of the actual BCG injection. I just hate needeles
Mine was a small pink mark just after I had it done, then it was like a small bruise before fading away completely. Didn't leave a scar at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending