Turn on thread page Beta

Interesting puzzles for you to solve watch

ReputationRep:
    Greetings. Here are a series of puzzles which you might find interesting, and which I'm making up as I go:

Puzzle #1
    An apple is dropped from a tall skyscraper. The rate of acceleration toward the ground is 9.82 meters/second. What is its velocity at second number 3?

Puzzle #2
    A bunch of employees are at a bank. They hear a loud explosion outside. All of them run to the window. After a few minutes - they walk back. They find $20,000 in cash missing from the vault. What happened?

Puzzle #3
    Try to descramble the following word: kobo

Puzzle #4
    What's more value, a penny doubled every day for 30 days, or 1 million dollars?

Puzzle #5 (complexity extrapolator puzzle)
    Japan has just been hit with 2 nuclear bombs. They are trying to defeat the Americans. Name a path to certain victory for Japan.

Puzzle #6 (complexity extrapolator puzzle)
    The Americans declare independence from England in the 1700s. The English want to keep the 13 colonies. Name a certain path to victory.

I'll post the answers to puzzles #5 and #6 in a later post down there - so that you can answer for yourself.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Puzzle #1
    An apple is dropped from a tall skyscraper. The rate of acceleration toward the ground is 9.82 meters/second. What is its velocity at second number 3?

v = u + at
    = 0 - 9.82(3)
    = -29.46
    So 29.46 metres per second towards the ground after three seconds (subtract 9.82 from that speed for the velocity at the start of the third second). This is all assuming no air resistance - in reality there would be some air resistance and a terminal velocity, but as we don't know the location of the skyscraper and the size of the apple we cannot say, and must assume particle in a vacuum behaviour.

Puzzle #2
    A bunch of employees are at a bank. They hear a loud explosion outside. All of them run to the window. After a few minutes - they walk back. They find $20,000 in cash missing from the vault. What happened?

Surely anything could have happened, e.g. the explosion was a distraction?

Puzzle #3

Book

Puzzle #4

A British penny doubled every day for a month is worth around $9,000,000 which is more than $1,000,000.

Japan has just been hit with 2 nuclear bombs. They are trying to defeat the Americans. Name a path to certain victory for Japan.

What do you mean by the path to victory? I have no idea what resources they have.

The Americans declare independence from England in the 1700s. The English want to keep the 13 colonies. Name a certain path to victory.

Again, what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Puzzle 1: A complete mystery. It could have reached terminal velocity, or could have already hit the floor, depending on the height. The standard answer is to use constant acceleration laws

Puzzle 2: Explosion was a diversion for thieves

Puzzle 3: book

Puzzle 4: Penny doubled every day.

Puzzle 5: I doubt there is a 'certain' path to victory

Puzzle 6: No idea, depends on what you would say the 'victory' is

ReputationRep:
    Yes you answered them all correctly.

What do you mean by the path to victory? I have no idea what resources they have.

Again, what do you mean?
    Oh these are tougher problems to solve. Most people probably can't. I guess you'd have to have known about those wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan C)

Oh these are tougher problems to solve. Most people probably can't. I guess you'd have to have known about those wars.
    then they are a test of historical knowledge and not puzzles

though (1) is not a puzzle either and neither, really is (4)

ReputationRep:
    Puzzle #1 -An apple is dropped from a tall skyscraper. The rate of acceleration toward the ground is 9.82 meters/second. What is its velocity at second number 3?

It accelerates in speed 9.82 meters every second. 3 second pass, thus 9.82 x 3 = 29.46

Puzzle #2 - A bunch of employees are at a bank. They hear a loud explosion outside. All of them run to the window. After a few minutes - they walk back. They find $20,000 in cash missing from the vault. What happened?

It was a distraction for the thieves.

Puzzle #3

Book

Puzzle #4

The penny doubled every day - British penny or dollar penny.

This is a tougher one to solve - and no one would likely do so. If they simply held out longer, they undoubtedly would've won. I.e. let another couple atomic bombs land. I guess one would say there's no way for me to know that. But Reality would've reacted to the Americans by defeating them immediately.

The English can not stop their direct actions - Reality doesn't like it. Thus - they are to create another colony - in Canada. That would've fixed the problem - now there are two competing countries. They could've won eventually - by building up force in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    A British penny doubled every day for a month is worth around $9,000,000 which is more than $1,000,000.
    A dead giveaway that I'm not from the U.K. - heh.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.