Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What kind of grades at GCSE would you consider decent at GCSE?

Because a friend of mine said the other day that if I wanted to go to a good university I would need at least 5 A*'s which kind of worried me. Is that true? Or is my friend wrong?

Many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I would say C and above as it helps you get into most college courses.

ReputationRep:
    4 A*s or over..

inb4 negs.

you can go to a good university without any A*s though, don't worry.

edit: your friend was probably thinking of oxbridge. generally to apply to oxbridge you should have 5 A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raddy49)
    What kind of grades at GCSE would you consider decent at GCSE?

Because a friend of mine said the other day that if I wanted to go to a good university I would need at least 5 A*'s which kind of worried me. Is that true? Or is my friend wrong?

Many thanks in advance
    I'd say "decent" would be mostly As, maybe an A* or two, and a couple of Bs, maybe 1 C or D in that subject you just didn't care about. Yeah, something like 2A*s 6As 3Bs.

And no that's not true. As long you've got a decent number of As you'll be fine (unless you're looking at Oxford, in which case you'd need mostly A*s)

I got 4A*s and 7As and (as of yesterday ) have got an offer to study Medicine at Manchester. So that's less than 5 A*s...just.

Edit: woah, who negged me and several others, it's just asking for people's opinions, I'm not saying "this is the borderline for decent GCSEs"!

ReputationRep:
    G grade. Because G stands for Good!

ReputationRep:
    I received 3 A*S 6As last year and all in all I don't consider them 'good'.
    Circumstantially, they're great. I got the best grades in my school (it wasn't that good...) so in that respect I did do well. I'd say they were decent though. I suppose if I got one more A* I would have considered them good... 5A*s would show potential for Oxbridge, though. (Saying that my best friend got 2A*s at GCSE and is now studying Medicine at Cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    5A*s are considered minimum for the 'top' unis but generally just for Oxford. I have 5A*s and 5As and over the moon with those results! Mostly As and a few A*s will get you into most universities do don't worry!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyb123)
    I'd say "decent" would be mostly As, maybe an A* or two, and a couple of Bs, maybe 1 C or D in that subject you just didn't care about. Yeah, something like 2A*s 6As 3Bs.

And no that's not true. As long you've got a decent number of As you'll be fine (unless you're looking at Oxford, in which case you'd need mostly A*s)

I got 4A*s and 7As and (as of yesterday ) have got an offer to study Medicine at Manchester. So that's less than 5 A*s...just.
    I just have a 0.5A* lol, newcastle med interview ^-^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    I just have a 0.5A* lol, newcastle med interview ^-^
    I know I think a 692.5 UKCAT might have helped you bit there!

ReputationRep:
    I would consider GCSE's with 7A* and above 'good' for higher universities. But in general I would say a 4A, 4B, 4C would generally be acceptable for most universities.
    This is how the grading are seen by great vs average universities.

A* = Good / Exceptional
    A = Acceptable / Very Good
    B = Below-par / Somewhat Good
    C = Quite poor, (very poor if you get anything less than a C) / Acceptable
    D-G = is not seen great by any university really...

ReputationRep:
    Honey, it depends on what course you planning to take in higher education. If it is something like medicine,dentistry etc, then your GCSE results are definitely going to be taken into consideration. If you have no idea what you want to do in the future and there is some possibility that it is going to be an academically challenging subject (e.g. Medicine) then try your hardest to get the best grades that you can, with at least 4 or 5 a*. 8 or more a* will be needed if you are considering applying to Oxford for example and many other popular Russell group Universities.

ReputationRep:
    Don't aim for what other people think is good,aim for the best you can get. There's no point worrying about the fact you didn't get 10A*s if you tried your best, and there's also no point in getting 3A*s when you could've got 10. Aim for the best you can in every subject is always the best rule to go by.

ReputationRep:
    i think straight A's with an A* here or there in a subject you love, with a B here and there in a subject you hate/are generally poor in. Then again that's just me, others may believe that 59/60 isnt good enough or some might be over the moon getting a C in something that they had 2 years of agony in. But you should always do your best, otherwise you will soon think what if.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think anything above C is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    5 A-C passes are good GCSES.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think B and above are 'good' but of course A's are better than B's but at the end of the day, it's not about what other people think is 'good' but more about what you yourself think is good according to your own abilities, for your own self.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.