Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1909)
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/about/dates/

Quick google found that
    Wow they are on a 4 week holiday! But the lady replied to my email so it's all fine. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreenchildren)
    Wow they are on a 4 week holiday! But the lady replied to my email so it's all fine. Thanks!
    Nooooo, students are on a four week holiday, but the staff most definitely are not.

In the "PUBLIC HOLIDAYS AND UNIVERSITY CLOSURE DATES" section there's the list of dates that the whole university is closed for:

Easter 2013
    Thursday 28 March 2013 *
    Friday 29 March 2013 (Good Friday - public holiday)
    Monday 1 April 2013 (Easter Monday - public holiday)
    Tuesday 2 April 2013 *
    Wednesday 3 April 2013 *

ReputationRep:
    Nooooo, students are on a four week holiday, but the staff most definitely are not.

In the "PUBLIC HOLIDAYS AND UNIVERSITY CLOSURE DATES" section there's the list of dates that the whole university is closed for:
    Ok cool!

ReputationRep:
    Just a question but what attracted you guys to Surrey? Was it the course or city? And what is Guildford like as a town for students? I quite like the look of the course but I have read it isn't the most student friendly (nightlife)? This is not my main concern though. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just a question but what attracted you guys to Surrey? Was it the course or city? And what is Guildford like as a town for students? I quite like the look of the course but I have read it isn't the most student friendly (nightlife)? This is not my main concern though. Thanks!
    As a place guildford is quite nice to be, especially as a student. Although the nightlife will vary based on where you're coming from; if it's a big city then you'll probably find it, but anywhere else and you'll find it as active as anywhere.

The only reason you could mark it down for student friendliness would be the cost of living, it's pretty expensive. However that will be the same in any similar area, and not really something we can do anything about.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right thanks for the info.
    As you seem to know your stuff, could you tell me which dietetics courses are made up of more school leavers and which are made up of more mature students if that's ok? I am just very interested. It's ok if you don't know
    Hiya

As a mature (33 now) dietetics applicant, I was really looking out for this when I was applying. I only know the unis I applied to.

For DEFFO- Surrey is mostly school leavers- it's also harder for mature students not least because placement catchment area so large: Going on placement a lot harder than at urban uni such as King's where all hospitals will be in London and commutable.

I think unis have to take 20% mature students to show equality. On my course at surrey, there are 20% EXACTLY who are over 18 years of age, and out of them only 3 of us (class 40) are over 30 y/o.

I asked at other unis, and was told that because dietetics is often a later carreer choice, that around 50% mature is average. I was told this at King's and Cardiff.

I applied King's (rejected), Cardiff (offer) Herts (rejected) and Surrey (offer) and London Met (offer).

I come from completely different background which I think Herts didn't like - but they were positive re mature students.

TBH when I went to Surrey open day I asked her about mature students and she seemed really negative. My friend thought the same. We were the ONLY people there who weren't with our parents. Teh whole uni is geared towards the young ones and it seems they only take mature at all because they have to.

I ignored this because academically it was the best offer I got. But I do feel like a ish out of water.

I know 2 other mature dietetics students - one at Leeds and one at London Met - both of whom feel much more at home in their unis as mature students in their 30's.

Don't get me wrong, the younger ones on my course are lovely, But just things like being in a lecture theatre and the lecturer saying 'oh, you all wouldn't have been born when this was discovered' makes me feel out of place. They just seem to assume we're not there.

If having other mature students is important to you to bond with I would not go to Surrey - Urban unis like King's, Cardiff, Leeds, London Met seem to be much better for this (I have a friend at Plymouth too who is really happy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freebee)
    Hiya

As a mature (33 now) dietetics applicant, I was really looking out for this when I was applying. I only know the unis I applied to.

For DEFFO- Surrey is mostly school leavers- it's also harder for mature students not least because placement catchment area so large: Going on placement a lot harder than at urban uni such as King's where all hospitals will be in London and commutable.

I think unis have to take 20% mature students to show equality. On my course at surrey, there are 20% EXACTLY who are over 18 years of age, and out of them only 3 of us (class 40) are over 30 y/o.

I asked at other unis, and was told that because dietetics is often a later carreer choice, that around 50% mature is average. I was told this at King's and Cardiff.

I applied King's (rejected), Cardiff (offer) Herts (rejected) and Surrey (offer) and London Met (offer).

I come from completely different background which I think Herts didn't like - but they were positive re mature students.

TBH when I went to Surrey open day I asked her about mature students and she seemed really negative. My friend thought the same. We were the ONLY people there who weren't with our parents. Teh whole uni is geared towards the young ones and it seems they only take mature at all because they have to.

I ignored this because academically it was the best offer I got. But I do feel like a ish out of water.

I know 2 other mature dietetics students - one at Leeds and one at London Met - both of whom feel much more at home in their unis as mature students in their 30's.

Don't get me wrong, the younger ones on my course are lovely, But just things like being in a lecture theatre and the lecturer saying 'oh, you all wouldn't have been born when this was discovered' makes me feel out of place. They just seem to assume we're not there.

If having other mature students is important to you to bond with I would not go to Surrey - Urban unis like King's, Cardiff, Leeds, London Met seem to be much better for this (I have a friend at Plymouth too who is really happy).
    Thanks for your help! I am actually a school leaver and I am applying for Dietetics through UCAS extra. I live in Plymouth and have heard it is good for dietetics but I really want to move away. Leeds and Surrey are the unis I am considering the most at the moment. I think Leeds looks a bit more student friendly though, but I like the course at Surrey. :/

ReputationRep:
    As a place guildford is quite nice to be, especially as a student. Although the nightlife will vary based on where you're coming from; if it's a big city then you'll probably find it, but anywhere else and you'll find it as active as anywhere.

The only reason you could mark it down for student friendliness would be the cost of living, it's pretty expensive. However that will be the same in any similar area, and not really something we can do anything about.
    Oh right so what is the typical range for accommodation at surrey? Also do you only live in student halls for one year? And the rest are private accommodation right?
    Also are you studying nutrition/dietetics at Surrey now?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help! I am actually a school leaver and I am applying for Dietetics through UCAS extra. I live in Plymouth and have heard it is good for dietetics but I really want to move away. Leeds and Surrey are the unis I am considering the most at the moment. I think Leeds looks a bit more student friendly though, but I like the course at Surrey. :/
    TBH When I was 18, if I had landed in Guildford I'd have eaten my head out of boredom and frustration. I grew up in Taunton and I'd say Guildford is v similar. Although the cathedral gives it 'city' status- it is a town for sure! Only 1 supermarket and hardly any buses. It's a country county town.

For an experience Leeds is better I'd think. My friend is there and she's settled - not moving back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freebee)
    TBH When I was 18, if I had landed in Guildford I'd have eaten my head out of boredom and frustration. I grew up in Taunton and I'd say Guildford is v similar. Although the cathedral gives it 'city' status- it is a town for sure! Only 1 supermarket and hardly any buses. It's a country county town.

For an experience Leeds is better I'd think. My friend is there and she's settled - not moving back.
    Ok that is good to know . I would also like to ask about the funding for dietetics to make sure I have everything straight. The NHS pays for the tuition fees and you get an NHS grant and bursary and your loan and grant from student finance? Does this mean your accommodation is also covered?

ReputationRep:
    Ok that is good to know . I would also like to ask about the funding for dietetics to make sure I have everything straight. The NHS pays for the tuition fees and you get an NHS grant and bursary and your loan and grant from student finance? Does this mean your accommodation is also covered?
    I'd call NHS bursaries, or use the online bursary calculator, because it all depends on your circs.

You don't get full student loan because of bursary - and bursary amount depends on parents' situation and yours. You are expected to pay accom. out of this. You will get fees paid and some NHS bursary though, and some student loan.

Note re Surrey - is NOT london weighting as outside M25, yet cost of living v v high. Sorry, not in pro Surrey mood today. That's another reason to either go into London or cheaper city.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right so what is the typical range for accommodation at surrey? Also do you only live in student halls for one year? And the rest are private accommodation right?
    Also are you studying nutrition/dietetics at Surrey now?
    Halls range from around £90 a week all the way up to £150 a week for what is basically a small flat, but most people pay around £93 or £115 a week depending on if they have an en-suite or not, it's up to you. The full list of prices and room types are on the university's website if you want to check the details.

First year students are guaranteed university halls. You can apply for second and later years, but it's not guaranteed, and it's quite rare to get them. You are also given a room in halls in your final year, if you've done an industrial placement, as obviously it will be difficult to find a house in Guildford, if you're working full time the other side of the country, or even the other side of the world.

I'm not actually studying nutrition, I'm a chemist, but accommodation stuff is not course dependant (in most cases) so I thought I'd help out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.