Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am so bored sb tell me something interesting?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnkesd)
    New Canadian $100 bills made out of polymer melt in the summer heat... But the Bank of Canada refutes this.

Jesus.

But hey, free healthcare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    x
    Where do you get your interesting info from, Mr. So Instinct, is there a specific site? I'd love a site where I could just browse cool and new things going on in the world like the things you mentioned!
    I mean besides BBC news and things like that obviously.

And OP here's something very interesting (I don't know how to hide this underneath a spoiler). This is an extract from Hyperspace by Michio Kaku:

Perhaps the craziest of the time travel paradoxes was cooked up by Robert Heinlein in his classic short story "All You Zombies."

A baby girl is mysteriously dropped off at an orphanage in Cleveland in 1945. "Jane" grows up lonely and dejected, not knowing who her parents are, until one day in 1963 she is strangely attracted to a drifter. She falls in love with him. But just when things are finally looking up for Jane, a series of disasters strike. First, she becomes pregnant by the drifter, who then disappears. Second, during the complicated delivery, doctors find that Jane has both sets of sex organs, and to save her life, they are forced to surgically convert "her" to a "him." Finally, a mysterious stranger kidnaps her baby from the delivery room.

Reeling from these disasters, rejected by society, scorned by fate, "he" becomes a drunkard and drifter. Not only has Jane lost her parents and her lover, but he has lost his only child as well. Years later, in 1970, he stumbles into a lonely bar, called Pop's Place, and spills out his pathetic story to an elderly bartender. The sympathetic bartender offers the drifter the chance to avenge the stranger who left her pregnant and abandoned, on the condition that he join the "time travelers corps." Both of them enter a time machine, and the bartender drops off the drifter in 1963. The drifter is strangely attracted to a young orphan woman, who subsequently becomes pregnant.

The bartender then goes forward 9 months, kidnaps the baby girl from the hospital, and drops off the baby in an orphanage back in 1945. Then the bartender drops off the thoroughly confused drifter in 1985, to enlist in the time travelers corps. The drifter eventually gets his life together, becomes a respected and elderly member of the time travelers corps, and then disguises himself as a bartender and has his most difficult mission: a date with destiny, meeting a certain drifter at Pop's Place in 1970.

The question is: Who is Jane's mother, father, grandfather, grand mother, son, daughter, granddaughter, and grandson? The girl, the drifter, and the bartender, of course, are all the same person. These paradoxes can made your head spin, especially if you try to untangle Jane's twisted parentage. If we draw Jane's family tree, we find that all the branches are curled inward back on themselves, as in a circle. We come to the astonishing conclusion that she is her own mother and father! She is an entire family tree unto herself.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossar...r_paradox.html

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Battenberg)
      64 Galleons, 12 Sickles.
      Too expensive!!!!
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      If you coat a certain kind of disc in a superconducting material, cool that down to its critical temperature, and place it on a magnet, the metal becomes 'locked' in mid-air and levitates perfectly.

the ****

ReputationRep:
        not so boring now with all these mindblowing/facts technologies!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by So Instinct)
        x
        Where are you getting these facts? They're actually very interesting.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jnkesd)
        New Canadian $100 bills made out of polymer melt in the summer heat... But the Bank of Canada refutes this.
        If it refutes it, then it isn't the case. "Denies it", perhaps?

The longest word that can be written using only the letters on the top rung of a typewriter is "typewriter".

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jonnyb123)
        Where do you get your interesting info from, Mr. So Instinct, is there a specific site? I'd love a site where I could just browse cool and new things going on in the world like the things you mentioned!
        I mean besides BBC news and things like that obviously.

And OP here's something very interesting (I don't know how to hide this underneath a spoiler). This is an extract from Hyperspace by Michio Kaku:

Perhaps the craziest of the time travel paradoxes was cooked up by Robert Heinlein in his classic short story "All You Zombies."

A baby girl is mysteriously dropped off at an orphanage in Cleveland in 1945. "Jane" grows up lonely and dejected, not knowing who her parents are, until one day in 1963 she is strangely attracted to a drifter. She falls in love with him. But just when things are finally looking up for Jane, a series of disasters strike. First, she becomes pregnant by the drifter, who then disappears. Second, during the complicated delivery, doctors find that Jane has both sets of sex organs, and to save her life, they are forced to surgically convert "her" to a "him." Finally, a mysterious stranger kidnaps her baby from the delivery room.

Reeling from these disasters, rejected by society, scorned by fate, "he" becomes a drunkard and drifter. Not only has Jane lost her parents and her lover, but he has lost his only child as well. Years later, in 1970, he stumbles into a lonely bar, called Pop's Place, and spills out his pathetic story to an elderly bartender. The sympathetic bartender offers the drifter the chance to avenge the stranger who left her pregnant and abandoned, on the condition that he join the "time travelers corps." Both of them enter a time machine, and the bartender drops off the drifter in 1963. The drifter is strangely attracted to a young orphan woman, who subsequently becomes pregnant.

The bartender then goes forward 9 months, kidnaps the baby girl from the hospital, and drops off the baby in an orphanage back in 1945. Then the bartender drops off the thoroughly confused drifter in 1985, to enlist in the time travelers corps. The drifter eventually gets his life together, becomes a respected and elderly member of the time travelers corps, and then disguises himself as a bartender and has his most difficult mission: a date with destiny, meeting a certain drifter at Pop's Place in 1970.

The question is: Who is Jane's mother, father, grandfather, grand mother, son, daughter, granddaughter, and grandson? The girl, the drifter, and the bartender, of course, are all the same person. These paradoxes can made your head spin, especially if you try to untangle Jane's twisted parentage. If we draw Jane's family tree, we find that all the branches are curled inward back on themselves, as in a circle. We come to the astonishing conclusion that she is her own mother and father! She is an entire family tree unto herself.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossar...r_paradox.html
        Jeremy Kyle would have a field day with that :p:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by cambio wechsel)
        If it refutes it, then it isn't the case. "Denies it", perhaps?

The longest word that can be written using only the letters on the top rung of a typewriter is "typewriter".
        Yeah after I post that I realized I had made that mistake, it had just been replied to already so I decided not to correct it. I'm not a very good writer/I don't know what a lot of words mean.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by moomin_love)
        Jeremy Kyle would have a field day with that :p:
        :lol:

Makes your head spin doesn't it!

So far this is the highest resolution image of a rock called pluto:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/...em/pr2010006d/

In the summer of 2015 a space craft called new horizons will find out what it actually looks like.

The man they call captain slow temporarily became one of the worlds fastest drivers..........twice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0PgyPWE3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSFX9vrwJf8

The stigs first name really is "The".

One of the worlds fastest street legal motorcycles has a helicopter engine in it. Its exhaust gases are so hot that if a car pulls up too close to it at the lights they actually melt the front bumper of it. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5kf6q3GRk

Ever wondered what its liked to get eaten? Watch a man nearly find out:

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/01/04/v...arctic-norway/

ReputationRep:
          If all fails try Stumbleupon

Cant remember where I read this but the sun from pluto looks the same size as venus does from earth....a bright star. However that small star would be about 250 times brighter than the full moon. The sun from earth is thousands of times brighter than the full moon.

Actual magnitudes of both objects as viewed from earth:

Sun = +26.7
            Pluto- varies between -13.6 and -15.1. I dont know what it is right now but it lied within the orbit of neptune between the years 1979-1999. 20 years out out of its nearly 250 year orbit. Despite this they will never collide. Plutos orbit is at an angle to neptunes.

Here is a picture called the "hubble deep field". The entire picture is roughly 1 tenth the width the full moon as viewed with the naked eye. Each dot or smudge of light isnt a star, but an entire galaxy containing god knows how many millions of stars. The most distant objects are over 13 billion light years away! We see their light now, but after billions of years, how many of those blibs and blobs actually still exists in real time?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._rez_edit1.jpg

ReputationRep:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqmdv5iyIOY

remote control hovercars, just don't freeze your finger in the liquid nitrogen

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources
          AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.