Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I am in my 1st year of sixth form all my subjects but Economics are going badly. I know I can pick up Chemistry and Biology with work but English Lit is just too much. I want to apply for Finance and Economics at Lancaster and a few other unis. My question is how much will unis care if I dropped English and picked up another subject at AS level in A2?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well, most unis will expect you to have 3 full A Levels, and many will ask for a fourth subject at AS. So you will find your options limited if you don't offer that. You will also find that the work is easier at AS, so if you're struggling in subjects now you'll probably struggle more next year and may wish you didn't have this extra AS alongside. That's why most students drop a subject at AS - the work for 3 subjects at A2 is challenging enough on its own.

However, if you know now that you want to do this, it might be possible for you to start working towards the new AS now. You might even persuade your school to let you take one module in June, which will lesson your workload for next year slightly. But even if not you can make a headstart by studying on your own over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, most unis will expect you to have 3 full A Levels, and many will ask for a fourth subject at AS. So you will find your options limited if you don't offer that. You will also find that the work is easier at AS, so if you're struggling in subjects now you'll probably struggle more next year and may wish you didn't have this extra AS alongside. That's why most students drop a subject at AS - the work for 3 subjects at A2 is challenging enough on its own.

However, if you know now that you want to do this, it might be possible for you to start working towards the new AS now. You might even persuade your school to let you take one module in June, which will lesson your workload for next year slightly. But even if not you can make a headstart by studying on your own over the summer.
    Thank you so much for you reply first of all. I am a highly capable student, I am just very lazy at time and have just given up an online game I was addicted to for a while, so I will now be much more motivated to study. Thank you for the idea of convincing my school to let me take a module early, but how likely is this? And also I am going to buy books and stuff for the course I think I will take and get studying over the summer.

Thank you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesMartinez)
    Thank you so much for you reply first of all. I am a highly capable student, I am just very lazy at time and have just given up an online game I was addicted to for a while, so I will now be much more motivated to study. Thank you for the idea of convincing my school to let me take a module early, but how likely is this? And also I am going to buy books and stuff for the course I think I will take and get studying over the summer.

Thank you!
    Well, it depends how good you are at convincing them - if you're a good student having a blip it's more likely! It might also help if your parents try to persuade them, or if you offer to pay exam fees. If you're really committed you could try sitting the exams elsewhere as many centres will take private candidates.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, it depends how good you are at convincing them - if you're a good student having a blip it's more likely! It might also help if your parents try to persuade them, or if you offer to pay exam fees. If you're really committed you could try sitting the exams elsewhere as many centres will take private candidates.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    Well let's say I left high school with the highest grade average in my year. I was top in about half of the subjects I took, I have the ability no doubt, just a lack of motivation, however my Mum's boyfriend is starting to motivate me and I'm extremely happy and thankful. Paying for exam fees is a problem, I come from a relatively poor background and I would hate to feel at blame for making my mum 'pay for my error'.

I can probably sort something though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesMartinez)
    Well let's say I left high school with the highest grade average in my year. I was top in about half of the subjects I took, I have the ability no doubt, just a lack of motivation, however my Mum's boyfriend is starting to motivate me and I'm extremely happy and thankful. Paying for exam fees is a problem, I come from a relatively poor background and I would hate to feel at blame for making my mum 'pay for my error'.

I can probably sort something though.
    Well exam fees should be around £10 at your school so that might be achievable. If you go elsewhere they can theoretically charge you for any extra costs they have, like invigilator wages, but that doesn't mean they will.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well exam fees should be around £10 at your school so that might be achievable. If you go elsewhere they can theoretically charge you for any extra costs they have, like invigilator wages, but that doesn't mean they will.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    Thank you, but will Lancaster for example mind if I have a predicted grade for the AS I pick up instead of an actual AS grade. If so how much do you think it will? I REALLY want to study at Lancaster, and I am so angry at myself for wasting Sept-Dec.

ReputationRep:
    Bump, anyone got into Lancaster or similar on just 3 A2 levels?

ReputationRep:
    Bump...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.