Turn on thread page Beta

Resits?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do Oxbridge like those? Cos we found out our As (modual 1) results 2 day and may potential oxbridge applicants are considering resits? I mean this guy got 80/100 on his maths P1 modual which is JUST an A, but he wants to resit, should he bother?? wot would Oxbridge feel if u resat a already good modual for further improvement??

ReputationRep:
    r u this guy?>

ReputationRep:
    I resat quite a few modules and cambridge knew that i was going to! getting 80/100 won't give any leaway when taking the other moduleS!... and it is soo easy to get higher marks on the earlier modules! that personallly i'd recommend that the person was to resit it! the others ie p3 and p3 are comparitively much harder and easier to loose marks! so it would make his life easier...
    you put have to put the dates in but they won't know if its a resit... especially if you do them in the summer!

ReputationRep:
    100% in Economics 1, proper bo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilomenaGuinea)
    r u this guy?>
    no

ReputationRep:
    i've been accepted to do German at cambridge, and even though i got an A in it for AS, it was kinda low points-wise, so i resat one paper- it went up 12 marks. and they knew i was resitting it. so take ogs's advice, and do it if u need to

ReputationRep:
    It can take a lot of pressure off of you if you get very very high marks in AS. I got 100% in all my English and Art AS modules so A2 was a doddle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    Do Oxbridge like those? Cos we found out our As (modual 1) results 2 day and may potential oxbridge applicants are considering resits? I mean this guy got 80/100 on his maths P1 modual which is JUST an A, but he wants to resit, should he bother?? wot would Oxbridge feel if u resat a already good modual for further improvement??
    I'm in the same position. I got 5 maths module results today, one of which (numerical methods) was 80. I considered retaking, not because I'm worried about not getting good overall grades in maths but because it's a low A - and if I'm wanting to study maths next year then they might expect high A's. But then I've heard that Oxbridge don't like resits because it shows you didn't do the work first time round etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing PPE next year at Oxford

I'll be resitting chem4, economics 2 (had 84/100 = exactly an A), and economics 5.

They don't know what you plan to resit, but i don't think they care, unless it was general studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Holder)
    economics 2 (had 84/100 = exactly an A).
    If this is post-UMS then 80/100 is exactly an A.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    I'm in the same position. I got 5 maths module results today, one of which (numerical methods) was 80. I considered retaking, not because I'm worried about not getting good overall grades in maths but because it's a low A - and if I'm wanting to study maths next year then they might expect high A's. But then I've heard that Oxbridge don't like resits because it shows you didn't do the work first time round etc.
    Just out of interest, what were your marks for your maths modules and what board are you on. my further maths class doing ocr gor really bad marks overall on m3 (one of us failing it)

ReputationRep:
    My class also does OCR, and I was the only person to get above a D on M2 or P4. (No the class isn't thick, they're pretty able to get high As usually.) Isn't this just very odd? It also sucks because it means they have three exams in one afternoon in summer now.

As for resits, I got the impression they didn't like to see an applicant resitting half their bloody modules, but weren't too upset by someone who say gets 90 90 then 62 and obviously had some issue with the third module. The best advice in this thread though is do them in summer, before you apply, and they never have to know they're resits.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Oxbridge even know if you resit anything. Even if they do, once they've made you an offer, it can't be withdrawn, so they can't really do anything about you resitting anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    They won't know that you're resitting or what grades you at AS unless you tell them. If you haven't cashed them in then you don't actually have any qualifications, so it doesn't go on your UCAS form! The only grades you need to worry about are your predicted ones at the end of A2. As long as you get them Oxford, at least, doesn't care how, even if you resat everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mast3486)
    They won't know that you're resitting or what grades you at AS unless you tell them. If you haven't cashed them in then you don't actually have any qualifications, so it doesn't go on your UCAS form! The only grades you need to worry about are your predicted ones at the end of A2. As long as you get them Oxford, at least, doesn't care how, even if you resat everything!
    Thing is Cambridge do, because they don't just look at your AS grades, they look at your individual modules, cashed in or not. And if you've done cack, you might want to say "oh I was terribly ill that day and I'm going to resit" or you might want to just hope it doesn't look too out of place next to your other scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    Just out of interest, what were your marks for your maths modules and what board are you on. my further maths class doing ocr gor really bad marks overall on m3 (one of us failing it)
    Yep on OCR (MEI version) my maths mod results which I got today were P2=96, P3=96, M2=84, S1=96 and NM=80. But it seemed generally the results in our school were low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    If this is post-UMS then 80/100 is exactly an A.

MB
    84/105

my mistake

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.