Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I need help trying to understand the compound gas law PV/T = constant. I understand that Boyle's law PV = constant with constant temperature, Gay-Lussac's law P/T with constant volume = constant and Charles's law V/T = constant with constant pressure are all empirical results, but what I cannot see is how you combine them. How do I combine them if each one keeps one of the other variables constant?

Thanks.

From pV/T = constant you get pV = constant x T
      If T is constant
      pV = a constant x a constant = a constant(which is Boyle's Law)
      Do the same for the other two laws and it's clear that the general gas law combines the three laws.

ReputationRep:
      I understand that it holds when one variable is held constant but how does that prove it when all three are variable?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

(Original post by Malabarista)
        I understand that it holds when one variable is held constant but how does that prove it when all three are variable?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
        If you can derive the 3 gas laws from the combined gas law, then the combined law is valid.

Take F=ma

If I told you that a = F/m you would be happy. Yes?

1. If you keep m constant, a is proportional to F
        2. If you keep F constant, a is inversely proportional to m

a = F/m combines both these statements 1 and 2

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Stonebridge)
        If you can derive the 3 gas laws from the combined gas law, then the combined law is valid.

Take F=ma

If I told you that a = F/m you would be happy. Yes?

1. If you keep m constant, a is proportional to F
        2. If you keep F constant, a is inversely proportional to m

a = F/m combines both these statements 1 and 2
        Thanks very much, I can't believe I didn't see it like that, late nights must be getting to me or something. I am very grateful for your answer

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Malabarista)
        Hi everyone,

I need help trying to understand the compound gas law PV/T = constant. I understand that Boyle's law PV = constant with constant temperature, Gay-Lussac's law P/T with constant volume = constant and Charles's law V/T = constant with constant pressure are all empirical results, but what I cannot see is how you combine them. How do I combine them if each one keeps one of the other variables constant?

Thanks.
        You could try a naive approach and simply multiply them all:

PV = c_1 with units \text{Pa}\text{ l}
        \frac{P}{T} = c_2 with units \frac{\text{Pa}}{\text{ K}}
        \frac{V}{T} = c_3 with units \frac{\text{l}}{\text{ K}}

So:

PV \frac{P}{T} \frac{V}{T} = \frac{P^2 V^2}{T^2} = c_1c_2c_3 with units \frac{\text{Pa}^2\text{ l}^2}{\text{ K}^2}

Since P,V,T > 0 we can take the positive square root to give:

\frac{PV}{T} = \sqrt{c_1c_2c_3} = C with units \frac{\text{Pa}\text{ l}}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m^{-2} m^3}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m}{K} = \frac{\text{J}}{\text{K}} = \text{J} \text{K}^{-1}

(Original post by atsruser)
          You could try a naive approach and simply multiply them all:

PV = c_1 with units \text{Pa}\text{ l}
          \frac{P}{T} = c_2 with units \frac{\text{Pa}}{\text{ K}}
          \frac{V}{T} = c_3 with units \frac{\text{l}}{\text{ K}}

So:

PV \frac{P}{T} \frac{V}{T} = \frac{P^2 V^2}{T^2} = c_1c_2c_3 with units \frac{\text{Pa}^2\text{ l}^2}{\text{ K}^2}

Since P,V,T > 0 we can take the positive square root to give:

\frac{PV}{T} = \sqrt{c_1c_2c_3} = C with units \frac{\text{Pa}\text{ l}}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m^{-2} m^3}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m}{K} = \frac{\text{J}}{\text{K}} = \text{J} \text{K}^{-1}

I'm convinced! That demonstrates, for me, the validity of the general law from consideration of the individual laws.
          My way was a case of reasoning in the other direction from the general to the individual.
          I actually prefer your method.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.