Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GIRLS would you wear this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    American Apparel girls :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    :rolleyes:
    What? It's clearly meant for layering anyway. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    What? It's clearly meant for layering anyway. Grow up.
    Lol, calm down :lolwut: I was rolling my eyes at the 'slut shaming' comment. Is every comment about a skanky looking garment going to be referred to as 'slut shaming' now? People make judgements, get over it.

FYI, I'd actually wear that AA dress (layered)

ReputationRep:
    I bet most people who said 'god no' would think the dress looks surprisingly nice worn as most people actually would wear it.

As has been said, American Apparel are ridiculous in all their photographs, if they can possibly show nipple or nudity, they do. Anything sheer has nothing underneath, etc. That's not how people actually wear the clothes...

ReputationRep:
    No I'd definitely not wear that!

ReputationRep:
    The reviews people have given this dress are hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, calm down :lolwut: I was rolling my eyes at the 'slut shaming' comment. Is every comment about a skanky looking garment going to be referred to as 'slut shaming' now? People make judgements, get over it.

FYI, I'd actually wear that AA dress (layered)
    I'm very calm. Using the word slut to degrade woman is slut shaming, so I used the phrase in the correct context. "Only a slut would wear that" sort of thing is degrading. Why can't people say "it's ugly" or "it's too revealing for my taste"? That is how an intelligent person says that they don't like a garment of clothing. It's not just this thread either, TSR is filled with it.

It's just as offensive as saying "looks like something a ****** would wear". Although that is much less accepted than the word slut.

People make judgements, of course. Saying that all Muslims are terrorists or all black people are criminals are judgements too, then again, I guess we should all just "get over it".

ReputationRep:
    I'm very calm. Using the word slut to degrade woman is slut shaming, so I used the phrase in the correct context. "Only a slut would wear that" sort of thing is degrading. Why can't people say "it's ugly" or "it's too revealing for my taste"? That is how an intelligent person says that they don't like a garment of clothing. It's not just this thread either, TSR is filled with it.

It's just as offensive as saying "looks like something a ****** would wear". Although that is much less accepted than the word slut.

People make judgements, of course. Saying that all Muslims are terrorists or all black people are criminals are judgements too, then again, I guess we should all just "get over it".
    lol what in the literal **** are you talking about?

So you only ever say "I wouldn't wear that", and never make any judgments about what it would look like on others?

How did you even make the jump from "I frown upon people walking around in public being basically naked" to "all muslims are terrorists"? What is this?

To be honest, as has been said, it looks hawt, but if you wore it in public you would be -- to avoid the use of the term "slut" -- wholly lacking in class and taste.

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no, no, no!

ReputationRep:

I was agreeing with what you said then and I going to apologise for sounding so hostile......til the last part. How is saying something looks slutty in anyway comparable to saying black people are criminals or that muslim people are terrorists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    lol what in the literal **** are you talking about?

So you only ever say "I wouldn't wear that", and never make any judgments about what it would look like on others?

How did you even make the jump from "I frown upon people walking around in public being basically naked" to "all muslims are terrorists"? What is this?

To be honest, as has been said, it looks hawt, but if you wore it in public you would be -- to avoid the use of the term "slut" -- wholly lacking in class and taste.
    I was comparing different judgements, same thing, different situations. How did you miss that? I make judgements on many things, I just don't make blatantly offensive judgements.

Saying that is fine, I don't disagree with you're opinion when phrased like that. The word slut in general should be seen as offensive to females in general and I'm always surprised when it's thrown around casually.

I can't believe I'm spending time explaining to adults why the term slut should be avoided.

ReputationRep:
    I was agreeing with what you said then and I going to apologise for sounding so hostile......til the last part. How is saying something looks slutty in anyway comparable to saying black people are criminals or that muslim people are terrorists
    Because it's a sexist and offensive judgement. Whilst they are more extreme examples they are necessary to explain, they are racist and offensive judgements. Different scenarios, same sort of thing. This may be hard to understand since sexism is more accepted than racism in general.

Bare in mind I'm not just talking about a few people calling a dress "slutty", that would be a bit extreme. I'm talking about the attitudes of a lot of people on this forum and this is just a small part of it.

ReputationRep:
    It's hideous ... so no haha

ReputationRep:
    I like it and think that would wear it out but on a night out rather than during the day time, there will be other girls out there who would wear that and some who already wear something similar, I would wear it like the girl in the pic with a bodysuit under it
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't wear that!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not inside, but I'm not a girl

ReputationRep:
    Umm......No. It's really see through you might as well not wear anything!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    That's an ugly dress but there's a trouser variant that's just :coma:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Umm, no. O.o

ReputationRep:
    No, and not even just because of how revealing it is; even layered it would look horrible.
    And AA prices are so ridiculous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.