Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a retake for unit 1 biology this Wednesday, and even last year when I did the exam I felt like I was prepared and knew all my concepts. But I only got a high C on this unit and it wasn't what I was hoping for. I didn't however do a lot of revision for that exam, I did really well in my GCSE so maybe I still had that mentality, but clearly a week or two of revision doesn't suffice for A levels. And perhaps the way I wrote my answers were not up to par with A level. But I have however this year planned ahead and studied the textbook inside out (last year I really just used the revision guide a week or two before the exam) and I've done the past papers from '01 to '12.

I just really don't want to get a C again this year, any tips? Advice? Anything more I can do? I'm really nervous. Has anyone made predictions on the topics that may come up?

(I'm doing this exam with Edexcel SNAB)

ReputationRep:
    relax looks like your putting too much pressure on yourself just make sure you eat healthily sleep atleast 8 hours and drink plenty of water
    what i would suggest it that you work on the areas you find more difficult first and leave the easy ones till last
    also i would suggest that each time you learn a something new in class you understand it more by going over it from their you need to aim higher then expected and give it everything you got

ReputationRep:
    When struggle to think of anything that you're struggling on...?

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing past papers?? Past papers are the answer <3

If you're getting the grade you want (an A?) in pp's then you're ready

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAB1010101)
    Are you doing past papers?? Past papers are the answer <3

If you're getting the grade you want (an A?) in pp's then you're ready
    Well I haven't gotten lower than 60/80 in any of them, but how I do the examiner won't mark me down further for the way I frame them? Maybe I'm stressing over nothing! Ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Well I haven't gotten lower than 60/80 in any of them, but how I do the examiner won't mark me down further for the way I frame them? Maybe I'm stressing over nothing! Ha.
    Mark you down further for what?

Obviously the paper you get on the day cannot be predicted and it may be much harder than all the others or much easier. Grade boundaries are made accordingly.

I'm sure you're over-stressing. A lot of people do better in retakes as long as they try harder than the did the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAB1010101)
    Mark you down further for what?

Obviously the paper you get on the day cannot be predicted and it may be much harder than all the others or much easier. Grade boundaries are made accordingly.

I'm sure you're over-stressing. A lot of people do better in retakes as long as they try harder than the did the first time.
    Hopefully I'll be able to get an A. Thanks dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Hopefully I'll be able to get an A. Thanks dude.
    Gooood luck! I finished school last year so i do have some idea also i quite enjoyed exams haha

ReputationRep:
    Just relax and don't stress a lot I've prepared a lot for my uni exam for philosophy yet failed to pass it because I was so worried what questions I'll get and that ruined my whole preparation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.