Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keep getting ill, worried something might be going on Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK so until October this year I had always been very healthy, hardly ever ill, etc. Then everything started going a bit wrong:

Mid October - ear infection in left ear, then right ear a few days later. Had all sorts of sprays, drops etc as well as antibiotics but it still took well over a week to clear.

Late October - throat infection

Early/Mid November - tonsillitis accompanied by some sort of viral thing which everybody thought was glandular fever until a blood test said it wasn't. Went away after about two weeks, was away from school for just over a week.

Mid December - just a normal cold. Normally I wouldn't think twice about it but in the context of all this other stuff it seemed a bit suspicious

Late December - another ear infection. Managed to kind of suppress it using some of the stuff I'd been given last time round as I was really not keen on going to the doctor yet again but my ear still doesn't feel right.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Might something sinister be going on? I'm not normally one to worry about my health but just the sheer volume of things that have been happening makes me think maybe there could be some sort of underlying cause...

Any advice is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Bump, please help!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartdjokovic)
    OK so until October this year I had always been very healthy, hardly ever ill, etc. Then everything started going a bit wrong:

Mid October - ear infection in left ear, then right ear a few days later. Had all sorts of sprays, drops etc as well as antibiotics but it still took well over a week to clear.

Late October - throat infection

Early/Mid November - tonsillitis accompanied by some sort of viral thing which everybody thought was glandular fever until a blood test said it wasn't. Went away after about two weeks, was away from school for just over a week.

Mid December - just a normal cold. Normally I wouldn't think twice about it but in the context of all this other stuff it seemed a bit suspicious

Late December - another ear infection. Managed to kind of suppress it using some of the stuff I'd been given last time round as I was really not keen on going to the doctor yet again but my ear still doesn't feel right.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Might something sinister be going on? I'm not normally one to worry about my health but just the sheer volume of things that have been happening makes me think maybe there could be some sort of underlying cause...

Any advice is much appreciated
    Have you been feeling run down, stressed, tired, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Have you simultaneously been at a caloric deficit during these events? Or malnutrition?
    Could have left you with a weaker than usual immune system leaving you susceptible to your above illnesses.

Also the first case of illness could have lead to a domino effect for the other ones. During and after the first case, it will have left your immune system again weaker than usual, and with it being flu season and all, it could mean that you have just been unfortunate.

This is just me guessing though, probably best off asking a doctor :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GermanScientist)
    Have you been feeling run down, stressed, tired, etc?

(Original post by t00 g00d for u)
    Have you simultaneously been at a caloric deficit during these events? Or malnutrition?
    Could have left you with a weaker than usual immune system leaving you susceptible to your above illnesses.

Also the first case of illness could have lead to a domino effect for the other ones. During and after the first case, it will have left your immune system again weaker than usual, and with it being flu season and all, it could mean that you have just been unfortunate.

This is just me guessing though, probably best off asking a doctor :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
    Thanks for replying. I have been feeling quite tired but not particularly stressed really - I was much more stressed in the summer when I was sitting my GCSEs and I was fine then. I've been eating pretty much the same as I always do, reasonably healthily, definitely not at a calorific deficit! The 'domino effect' theory sounds quite convincing thanks again

ReputationRep:
    At least I'm not the only who keeps getting ill .

In May before I went on holiday I had tonsillitis, fast forward to beginning of November another series of tonsillitis, I got a flu type thing a week before that, and it just magically went.

Then the day after my birthday I came down with flu type thing again. This last for 5 weeks, so 5 weeks of school missed. I've literally only just recovered. You know what it was? Glandular Fever. It took two blood tests to confirm.

This time last year I started to lose weight, I joined slimming world and started eating healthily. Then I went back to my old ways in May. That's when I started to get ill again. The illnesses started when I had exams coming up, I had 8 in summer. I have 3 this month which isn't bad.

But last year was a horrible year for me, since my mum was suicidal because of work.

So, I would try and eat healthily, make sure you exercise regularly and try and calm your stress levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.